VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 09:14:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regarding the chance that LSU loses to UGA and still plays in the MNC  (Read 7317 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:29:50 EST »

I am ALL FOR IT.

In reality, I think it would be a travesty if TWO TEAMS from the SAME CONFERENCE play for the MNC, and neither of them is a conference champ.  And plus, they already played once.  That would just be bad.

But man would it screw up the BCS about as bad as it can be.   

I want it to happen just to see the chaos that would ensue.

I am not sure it would happen though. I have to think the human voters would put OSU or VaTech over LSU or bammer....IF either wins out, which is not a given.  Stanford would be just as bad cause they didn't win the Pac-12 either.

Probably not gonna happen...LSU most likely beats uga, though I think uga has a better shot than many realize.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:36:57 EST »

Same here, I think it would be hilarious.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:46:00 EST »

LSU will roll. It's not gonna be close.

You BCS-bashers better watch it. One day you're gonna get what you wished for and CFB will be ruined by a playoff. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:46:28 EST »

UGA won't get within 3 TDs of those guys.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:06 EST »

To be honest, I don't think I want a CFB playoff.. For the sake of meaningful regular season games.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:44:36 EST »

I think uga stays within two TDs, no problem.  They do have the 5th best total D in the country and 10th best scoring D (18 ppg).  This is far better than the Arkansas team that LSU just whipped at home, which is only 40th in scoring D.  Of course bammer, the other good SEC team LSU faced,  also has a really good D, but I think less offense than Uga.

Uga's scoring offense  (25th at 34 ppg) is a notch lower than Arkansas (14th with 37 ppg) and Alabama (16th with 36 ppg).  However, and this is just MO, but backed up by stats, Uga (47th passing,  36th rushing) has a more balanced attack than either.  Bammer (74th passing) tends to rely on the run (15th rushing) and Arkansas on the pass (12th passing, 80th rushing).  This will help them. 

Also, and maybe the best thing going for uga, they are 6th in the country in rush D even after facing the triple option of Ga Tech (previously were 5th). 

As for LSU, they are 13th in scoring offense (38 ppg), 18th in rushing offense (215 ypg) and only 100th in pass offense (it goes by efficiency, but my source does not list the actual number  ).

In short, I think Georgia does very well, first because their very good run defense goes to what is by far LSU's strength (the run..hey have you SEEN Jefferson play?   ), and also because they have perhaps the most balanced attack on offense that LSU has seen.  Maybe Oregon was as balanced (though i think of them as a spread-finesee team), but Georgia HAS an SEC line on both sides of the ball, unlike Oregon.

Yeah, it's gonna be at least somewhat close. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:45:16 EST »

Let me add that my prediction is based on the turnovers and/or breaks being roughly even.  Any game can get out of hand if one team makes a ton of mistakes.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:53:05 EST »

To be honest, I don't think I want a CFB playoff.. For the sake of meaningful regular season games.

I don't know why regular season games would become less meaningful if there was playoff. UT/Bama would still mean a lot. USC/tiglets, UF/FSU, Bama/Auburn, OSU/Michigan would always be important. Conference games would be inportant. The other non-rival/non-conference games would mean a lot because you would need to win in order to make the playoff (probably 8 teams).

It's not the same as in college BB. There are numerous games that don't mean much, unless you lose too many of them. But I can't see regular season FB games becoming less meaningful.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:57:59 EST »

I think uga stays within two TDs, no problem.  They do have the 5th best total D in the country and 10th best scoring D (18 ppg).  This is far better than the Arkansas team that LSU just whipped at home, which is only 40th in scoring D.  Of course bammer, the other good SEC team LSU faced,  also has a really good D, but I think less offense than Uga.

Uga's scoring offense  (25th at 34 ppg) is a notch lower than Arkansas (14th with 37 ppg) and Alabama (16th with 36 ppg).  However, and this is just MO, but backed up by stats, Uga (47th passing,  36th rushing) has a more balanced attack than either.  Bammer (74th passing) tends to rely on the run (15th rushing) and Arkansas on the pass (12th passing, 80th rushing).  This will help them. 

Also, and maybe the best thing going for uga, they are 6th in the country in rush D even after facing the triple option of Ga Tech (previously were 5th). 

As for LSU, they are 13th in scoring offense (38 ppg), 18th in rushing offense (215 ypg) and only 100th in pass offense (it goes by efficiency, but my source does not list the actual number  ).

In short, I think Georgia does very well, first because their very good run defense goes to what is by far LSU's strength (the run..hey have you SEEN Jefferson play?   ), and also because they have perhaps the most balanced attack on offense that LSU has seen.  Maybe Oregon was as balanced (though i think of them as a spread-finesee team), but Georgia HAS an SEC line on both sides of the ball, unlike Oregon.

Yeah, it's gonna be at least somewhat close. 

UGA put up those stats against a MUCH softer schedule.  The best team they played by far was USC, followed by Boise, followed by (HUGE dropoff here) Georgia Tech.  They managed to avoid all three of the big dogs in the West, which is the main reason they're in the SECC in the first place.

Quasi EVol
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:24:28 EST »

LSU will roll. It's not gonna be close.

You BCS-bashers better watch it. One day you're gonna get what you wished for and CFB will be ruined by a playoff. 

Like how that NFL/AFL championship game ruined pro football! 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 01:33:05 EST »

Like how that NFL/AFL championship game ruined pro football! 

Pro football sucks.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 03:59:34 EST »

UGA put up those stats against a MUCH softer schedule.  The best team they played by far was USC, followed by Boise, followed by (HUGE dropoff here) Georgia Tech.  They managed to avoid all three of the big dogs in the West, which is the main reason they're in the SECC in the first place.

Boise State is a pretty good team.  I'll give you that uga's schedule is soft, which suxes compared to ours.  Luck of the draw.

japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 02:01:48 EST »

If UGA were to upset LSU would that bump Bama out of the BCS championship game, because can't there only be 2 teams in the BCS from the same conference?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 02:32:49 EST »

If UGA were to upset LSU would that bump Bama out of the BCS championship game, because can't there only be 2 teams in the BCS from the same conference?

We can hope 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 04:35:16 EST »

I still just can't root for UGA...  I just can't.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 04:43:51 EST »

Yeah but lsu dudes also. They screwed us out of two secc's.  If that helps.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 02:14:01 EST »

I still just can't root for UGA...  I just can't.

Amen Vinnie!  I hate UGAly!   Guess it will be a meteor game for me, because I hate LSWho as well!   

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 04:41:16 EST »

Normally that is the rule, but there is a case where three teams from the same conference make it to the BCS bowls.  If UGA beats LSU (which I don't think will happen), then UGA gets the automatic bid from the SEC into the Sugar Bowl.  And If LSU falls to #2 and Bama moves to #1, then those two would square off in the National Championship because of the #1 vs #2 game.  That is the only way 3 teams can make it into the BCS from the same conference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: