VTTW Board Index
May 24, 2024, 11:46:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attendance was only 86,783.  (Read 6965 times)
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2013, 03:09:04 EDT »

That is a bit disappointing.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:08:36 EDT »

Definitely...seems it was a bad week for many to travel or something.  Hope it picks back up vs. USA....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:45:11 EDT »

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/07/pf/football-prices/index.html?source=cnn_bin
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 04:53:42 EDT »

I certainly can understand that, but I would be willing to bet that many more tickets were sold than were used.  After last weekend, I expected more for WKU than for AP (97,169).  Instead there were 10,000+ fewer, and I'm sure WKU brought more fans than AP did.  It's still a bit confusing to me.  For those who attended, what did the student section look like?  I wasn't planning to attend the South Alabama game, but now I think I may show up.  Coach Jones and the team deserve the support.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 04:54:12 EDT »

115k @ the big house last nite, and the wolverines have not been so hot over the last few years.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:58:29 EDT »

That is very disappointing. with the proliferation of television/cable broadcasting, and streaming options you almost wonder if it might be a new era.  I still love seeing a game live. Just can't do it very often.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:14:11 EDT »

I was there. Student section was horrible! The upper section of student area was completely empty. I don't know what they are doing on a Saturday afternoon instead of coming to the game.

Also last week's weather was brutal and yesterday's was the same. Sept early games are brutal
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:27:04 EDT »

I noticed before I even entered the stadium that the student center was much less crowded.  Scalpers had a lot more tickets in their hands, too.  As was said above, the student section on the east side was COMPLETELY empty.  Never seen that before. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:34:11 EDT »

I didn't go this week due to some other obligations, but I was shocked to see the cameras pan the stadium. To see section FF without hardly a soul in it was really stunning. I don't think there's anyway there were actually 86,700 in there. Really surprising, too. The weather was hot, but not nearly as miserable as last week due to relatively low humidity. I'm thinking maybe it was a combination of the early start time and the fact that most people just automatically assume that Western Kentucky sucks.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:35:59 EDT »

I go to most home games, but usually sit out 1-2 a year.  My detailed formula for determining which games to skip is as follows:

1.  Is the opponent an out of conference tomato can?

2.  Is it a noon or 12:30 kickoff?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, I'll probably stay home.  I suspect a lot of other people were thinking along those same lines yesterday.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:59:30 EDT »

I go to most home games, but usually sit out 1-2 a year.  My detailed formula for determining which games to skip is as follows:

1.  Is the opponent an out of conference tomato can?

2.  Is it a noon or 12:30 kickoff?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, I'll probably stay home.  I suspect a lot of other people were thinking along those same lines yesterday.

I had season tickets for many years and I use to do the same thing. I would give my tickets to someone that didn't go much and they would pretty much always use and enjoy them.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 01:19:13 EDT »

115k @ the big house last nite, and the wolverines have not been so hot over the last few years.

Well, it was Notre Dame, not WKU    Slight difference...

Also, that has been a big rivalry.  I think in terms of Notre Dame, Michigan has only been second to USC since the Michigan series resumed in 1979.  Notre Dame probably bought their entire allotment, but this was a huge game.

Imagine if Tennessee was coming off a lose in the BCS game and Florida came in, and both were top 20.  Neyland would be full.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 03:25:04 EDT »

Fans had the option of watcing the WKU game at home for free.
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 04:01:36 EDT »

I think the number 1 factor was that it was on local TV and 2 it was noon and a little on the hot side. I thought about not going but I went anyway and took a kid that had never been to a UT game, or any college game, before. He was a very happy camper! And I enjoyed the game. HE said he wanted to come to a  night game and asked waht that was like. first thing I told him was, being a smart alleck, its cooler! Then told him it depends on who the opponant is, and it was way louder than the Western Kentucky game.   Stopped by TRO's tailgate only to find out he didn't come in!!! All-in-all, we had a good time an I'm glad I went.
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 06:02:22 EDT »

Jim Bob Cooter on Twitter:

"When I was at UT, I camped out for tickets.. Student section, you are dead to me"

http://pic.twitter.com/AzlbYlNHWW

That's almost as irritating as the half-empty Terrace.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 06:14:11 EDT »

Jim Bob Cooter on Twitter:

"When I was at UT, I camped out for tickets.. Student section, you are dead to me"

http://pic.twitter.com/AzlbYlNHWW

That's almost as irritating as the half-empty Terrace.
There is ZERO (0) excuse for a half empty Terrace - they have the $$ or they wouldn't have the seats.  I wouldn't even cal them fair weather fans as they have not shown for to fair weather games this year, or for that matter any games other than UF last year.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 11:33:32 EDT »

There is ZERO (0) excuse for a half empty Terrace - they have the $$ or they wouldn't have the seats.  I wouldn't even cal them fair weather fans as they have not shown for to fair weather games this year, or for that matter any games other than UF last year.

I'm betting too many companies own terrace seats rather than individuals, and games against AP and WKU are not big for taking clients.  They should give them away to people who will go.  I do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: