VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 01:29:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guys it's July  (Read 6176 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2013, 03:10:29 EDT »

and my football excitement is at full froth.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 03:43:12 EDT »

Me too!!! I know full well it is wishfull thinking, but Butch gives me Bruce Pearl vibes.  His players seem to believe in him, and he seems so genuine.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:47:05 EDT »

Me too!!! I know full well it is wishfull thinking, but Butch gives me Bruce Pearl vibes.  His players seem to believe in him, and he seems so genuine.

They're ready to run through walls and so am I. Thing is, even a Bruce Pearl-type first year impact probably looks like seven wins at the most. The talent in this league is just too good.

But I would take seven wins every damn day of the week for the 2013 Vols. It would be a great sign of things to come. Even six might be that. I hope we, as a fanbase, don't lose our enthusiasm when he fails to move the immovable this year.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 04:32:50 EDT »

the past few yrs have taken their toll. I really think Butch is the guy to  return us to prominence but I know it's going to be at least 2 yrs, if he has similar success recruiting....I'm so tired of thinking "2 more years" and when 2 more yrs have passed the reset button has been hit again.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:47:34 EDT »

I just know Bama can't stay on top forever and we can't stay near the bottom.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 07:32:38 EDT »

You guys have lost your minds. If we had a stud RB or even QB I might be with you, but I'm thinking the offense takes a big step back this season. We had a great OL, fine OL coach, stud WRs and an OC I liked a lot last year. Lop at least seven points a game off UT's score.

The defense should at least be around 60th in the country, so prune another seven points from the opponent's output. The W-L ledger isn't going to look substantially different. I think we can pick up a win (Mizzou) or two (Vandy). If we can beat South Carolina or UGA that qualifies as a great season.

It's doable, even if eight wins isn't likely. Win nine and I will legally change my name to Droner*.

*Some restrictions may apply.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 07:38:15 EDT »

brick by brick

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:57:37 EDT »

I share Murf's pessimism re: our offense. However, I can't help it. I'm pumped. I just want to see the Butch Jones product. I think 7 wins is probably the ceiling this year, and bowl ineligibility should shock no one, but I'm chompin' at the bit to get this thing started. He has sold me. More importantly, I think he has sold his players. These guys never respected Dooley, but as Clocky said, for Butch, they're ready to run through that brick wall that he is building. Forget the wins. I want to see players who are on the field wearing the orange because they want to rep the orange. I want to see players who take pride in their team and their school. The wins will come in time.

However, I'm probably going to have to ignore the internet once the inevitable losses start mounting this fall. Our unreasonable and impatient fan base is going to be unbearable.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 08:01:17 EDT »

However, I'm probably going to have to ignore the internet once the inevitable losses start mounting this fall. Our unreasonable and impatient fan base is going to be unbearable.

Yep, the Legion of the Miserable will be loud and clear early. I don't know what they can reasonably expect. But "reasonable" is a term that isn't applicable to them.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 08:31:54 EDT »

I feel good about Butch. Excitement won't hit me until practice starts. It will be all I can do to not spend the money on the PPV for the AP game.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:50 EDT »

I'm fine with seven wins. Quite frankly, I enjoyed Kiffin's season (the UCLA game excepted). If the team plays hard that works for me. The good news is I don't think there's any way they can underperform.

If a player or two steps up this could be entertaining. My guess is they'll live on a bit of an emotional roller coaster, but they'll learn.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:52:58 EDT »

I'm excited. But that excitement is tempered with a strong dose of reality. I'm not over-expecting. I figure 6 wins would be an acceptable number for the start of a rebuilding. Any thing over that and I will be really pleased.

As long as they continue to show some fight after they lose a couple of games, I'll be encouraged.
And, of course, some tackling would help.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 02:34:41 EDT »

I just know Bama can't stay on top forever and we can't stay near the bottom.

Easy!  The CreekWalker police will come along and tell you how great Nick Saban is.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 02:47:26 EDT »

Me too!!! I know full well it is wishfull thinking, but Butch gives me Bruce Pearl vibes.  His players seem to believe in him, and he seems so genuine.

Agree 100%.  a very excitable, hard working and the players and fans love him so far........seems like he wants more fan friendly interactions in the stadium like the TEAM SINGING WITH THE BAND BEFORE AND AFTER THE GAMES, WHICH HE SAID WOULD BE THE WAY HE DONE THINGS EVERY GAME...
Just hope he wears an orange Blazer, and never, EVER THOSE DAMN ORANGE PANTS...

Go Big Orange.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 03:03:30 EDT »

Easy!  The CreekWalker police will come along and tell you how great Nick Saban is.   

The Bama domination really doesn't show any signs of weakness right now or anytime soon.  Saban's eventually gotta retire, right?   
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 03:30:48 EDT »

Nah. I finally gave up when I realized Alabama won't win another national championship under Saban.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 03:50:47 EDT »

Nah. I finally gave up when I realized Alabama won't win another national championship under Saban.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 06:16:08 EDT »

I sincerely hope you are right.... 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: