VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 05:20:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basement questions  (Read 7658 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:48:24 EST »

Going back to my basement remodeling questions several moons ago, it's once again springtime and I'm once again determined to finish part of my basement.  The more I got to thinking about my plan, the more I'm wondering about ventilation.  I have a closed door that opens to the stairway leading to the basement, and the stairway is walled in all the way down.  At the bottom of the stairway will be the biggest finished room, the den.  Then I plan on having two spare rooms finished as well.  However, all the finished space will be on the end of the house that is totally underground and no windows.  At the other far end I'm leaving some unfinished space for storage and that is where the walkout door and a window are.  In total I figure around 1,000 sq feet will be finished.

How would you guys handle ventilation?  I've seen some pretty wild and elaborate looking ventilation systems, but is it really critical to have all that?  I really don't want to have to cut into my concrete block installing ventilation if I don't have to.  I don't really have any moisture problems.  It really doesn't even smell odd down there, but I know when you frame up walls and whatnot it can change the dynamic and if we're spending time down there I want it to be a healthy environment.  Would a good hefty dehumidifier do the job adequately?

Also, have any of you dealt with radon.. whether it be testing for it or had to deal with it in your house?  To be honest I've rarely given it a second thought but hitting all the forums discussing venting has led to the topic of radon.  I know Lowe's sells cheap radon testing kits, are those ok to use?  Am I worrying too much about radon altogether?
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 12:59:20 EST »

Vinnie, where is the HVAC trunk for the main floor of the house? Is it overhead in the attic or in the basement? If it is in the basement, can you tap into that for heating and cooling?

My dad bought one of those Mitsubishi single room units for his sunroom and it works well both heating and cooling, but they run about $3k. That would also require a small hole drilled in the wall because it's a 2-stage unit.

If you could tap into existing, that would be great.

G
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 02:22:28 EST »

Vinnie,

According to most codes, if you plan on using any room as living space (den) or as a bedroom in the basement, you will need to have at least one window or maybe more in each room.  I know you do not want to hear that, but you need to check with your local building codes (if you have any) before you go building out a space. Even if you plan on providing ventilation or HVAC in the rooms, you will have to have a window that can open for natural ventilation. If you do not do this, then you will more than likely fail inspection if you plan on selling this house in the future.  If you are talking cooling/heating, a multi-zone split ductless HVAC system is ideal because it is a heat pump that cools and heats. If that does not suit you, there are new high velocity, small duct systems that are ideal to retrofit.  Duct will be small 2 or 3 inch expansion insulated duct with a high static pressure fan to overcome duct loss.

If your HVAC truck line is in the basement, I should think twice and then forget using your existing HVAC system unless it was designed with 3-ton excess capacity for cooling & 30,000-40,000 BTUH heating.  You will likely need every bit of that upstairs because if a contractor built your house, he undersized your HVAC to save money. Please do not try to just add outlets because you will be hot and humid in the summer and cold all winter everywhere in the house.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by degree, installed a lot of industrial HVAC systems, sized and bought my replacement unit at my house, and recommended replacements for friends and neighbors.  Be careful when you listen to someone who sells and installs HVAC for a living.  They may have 30 years experience, but I know some who have be doing it wrong for every one of those years.  Ask an engineer.  Then you can blame him when it does not meet your expectations.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:24:50 EST »

Vinnie,

According to most codes, if you plan on using any room as living space (den) or as a bedroom in the basement, you will need to have at least one window or maybe more in each room.  I know you do not want to hear that, but you need to check with your local building codes (if you have any) before you go building out a space. Even if you plan on providing ventilation or HVAC in the rooms, you will have to have a window that can open for natural ventilation. If you do not do this, then you will more than likely fail inspection if you plan on selling this house in the future.  If you are talking cooling/heating, a multi-zone split ductless HVAC system is ideal because it is a heat pump that cools and heats. If that does not suit you, there are new high velocity, small duct systems that are ideal to retrofit.  Duct will be small 2 or 3 inch expansion insulated duct with a high static pressure fan to overcome duct loss.

If your HVAC truck line is in the basement, I should think twice and then forget using your existing HVAC system unless it was designed with 3-ton excess capacity for cooling & 30,000-40,000 BTUH heating.  You will likely need every bit of that upstairs because if a contractor built your house, he undersized your HVAC to save money. Please do not try to just add outlets because you will be hot and humid in the summer and cold all winter everywhere in the house.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by degree, installed a lot of industrial HVAC systems, sized and bought my replacement unit at my house, and recommended replacements for friends and neighbors.  Be careful when you listen to someone who sells and installs HVAC for a living.  They may have 30 years experience, but I know some who have be doing it wrong for every one of those years.  Ask an engineer.  Then you can blame him when it does not meet your expectations.

The beauties of living in the country in Tennessee. No codes! 
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 02:26:37 EST »

One thing that irritates me about basements is according to the last appraiser who did my house, finishing your basement adds nothing to the value of your home. She said they allot a certain amount per square foot in the basement ($25 maybe? I can't remember) and it doesn't change no matter if it's concrete floor and cinderblock walls or if you spend tens of thousands turning it into living space.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:11:49 EST »

One thing that irritates me about basements is according to the last appraiser who did my house, finishing your basement adds nothing to the value of your home. She said they allot a certain amount per square foot in the basement ($25 maybe? I can't remember) and it doesn't change no matter if it's concrete floor and cinderblock walls or if you spend tens of thousands turning it into living space.

True, but home additions can be itemized for next year's tax filing, no?   It's something, at least. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 03:15:39 EST »

True, but home additions can be itemized for next year's tax filing, no?   It's something, at least. 

Yeah, there's that. But it would be nice to have a little more return on the investment.  I spent $10,000 in materials on my basement (did all the labor myself or relied on volunteer labor), and my home appraised the exact same afterwards as before.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:20:12 EST »

Yeah, there's that. But it would be nice to have a little more return on the investment.  I spent $10,000 in materials on my basement (did all the labor myself or relied on volunteer labor), and my home appraised the exact same afterwards as before.

Yeah, that stinks.  But the more it's appraised for, the more land tax you have to pay right?  Or do you have that in your county?  It's not like the county guy comes around and appraises my house every year, though.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 03:56:59 EST »

Yeah, that stinks.  But the more it's appraised for, the more land tax you have to pay right?  Or do you have that in your county?  It's not like the county guy comes around and appraises my house every year, though.

Yes, that is correct, Vinnie.  Higher appraisal means higher taxes in just about every county I know of. 

I'm in a similar position.  I have a 1,200 square foot finished basement/mancave (our house is a 3 level Cape Cod style home) that I really do enjoy.  Got lots of my "toys" down there, as well as my big screen and memorabilia collections.  It may not add much value, but I certainly have gotten more than what I put in to it to finish it in enjoyment. 

I also have to believe that should we ever sell it, that while it may not add a lot of value that it will certainly add to the appeal of the home and help to attract potential buyers. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 04:06:24 EST »

Yes, that is correct, Vinnie.  Higher appraisal means higher taxes in just about every county I know of. 

I'm in a similar position.  I have a 1,200 square foot finished basement/mancave (our house is a 3 level Cape Cod style home) that I really do enjoy.  Got lots of my "toys" down there, as well as my big screen and memorabilia collections.  It may not add much value, but I certainly have gotten more than what I put in to it to finish it in enjoyment. 

I also have to believe that should we ever sell it, that while it may not add a lot of value that it will certainly add to the appeal of the home and help to attract potential buyers. 

It will add to the appeal, but there's always the mortgage side to consider. I feel like my home, with a finished basement, is worth more than the bank says it's worth...thus when I get ready to sale, I'm not going to be able to ask what I want to ask.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 04:44:36 EST »

That's the thing.  I'm going through the trouble of finishing additional rooms so that me and my family can enjoy it, and that'll be worth the investment to me.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 06:17:14 EST »

That's the thing.  I'm going through the trouble of finishing additional rooms so that me and my family can enjoy it, and that'll be worth the investment to me.

That's the whole deal right there. You started from scratch, built your home and I say make it the way YOU want it to be & not what the next buyer wants it to be.

73 has some really good points. I'm not so sure you will have to file anything where you are, though. He is correct about the HVAC system suffering if you drain too much to the basement, but you can add a supplemental heater downstairs to be comfortable without slamming the power bill if you use both. AC, not gonna be a problem I wouldn't think.

Hope you can do it before next football season and remember to pick out a spot for the small fridge.

GreggO
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 01:44:58 EST »

That's the whole deal right there. You started from scratch, built your home and I say make it the way YOU want it to be & not what the next buyer wants it to be.

73 has some really good points. I'm not so sure you will have to file anything where you are, though. He is correct about the HVAC system suffering if you drain too much to the basement, but you can add a supplemental heater downstairs to be comfortable without slamming the power bill if you use both. AC, not gonna be a problem I wouldn't think.

Hope you can do it before next football season and remember to pick out a spot for the small fridge.

GreggO

Yeah, I wouldn't try to tap into my current HVAC as I doubt it could handle it.  These are all good thoughts though.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:28 EST »

Appraisals are usually BS anyway.  In Huntsville appraisals are usually a bit less than the house actually goes for on the market.  It lowers taxes and people like it that way.  So please, appraise my house lower than it is!  The appraisal doesn't really seem to affect the market price, at least not in my neighborhood.  It's really just a sanity check for the bank and a way to raise taxes.  Zillow is not 100% reliable, but I have found it to be a much better indicator of value.  There is also a new "Realtor App" that I have yet to try.  Zillow will actually plot prices as a function of time in your neighborhood or perhaps city, I can't recall which.  I check it periodically to keep an eye on my house value.  Heck, I'm gonna check it right now, it's been a while.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 08:47:19 EST »

My mention of later selling the house does not concern the appraisal, but does concern the FHA, Fannie Mae, etc inspection for loan approval for anyone looking to buy the house.  Even if your home is in a county that has no building codes, the loan company does not have to follow local codes and can require you to bring your house up to IBC codes (which Tennessee will eventually have to approve).  Again it is not about can you personally do this to your own home.  Yes you can.  Can a conventional or federal loan agency refuse to issue a loan because your house does not meet an arbitrary standard? Yes they can and will at the drop of a hat.

Frankly, except for the cost, cutting openings in concrete block for windows is easy.  It will add cost. It will also make the basement feel less like a dungeon or cell. Good luck on remodeling. You owe it to yourself to have a concrete cutting company give an estimate on cutting block out and putting a lintel over the hole to support the block above.

I am an engineer by training.  I have down all remodeling projects on my homes for 30 years.  I do not work on roofs, HVAC units, or inside my electrical service panel because I pay pros for that.  Otherwise, I am comfortable working in my home.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 10:51:03 EST »

TN has adopted the ICC codes. I am required to keep 6 ICC certifications to do my job, which is monitored by the State. 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 11:45:30 EST »

I think Vinnie is mostly concerned about proper plumbing for a hydroponic system and electrical upgrades for numerous grow lights.
Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 12:24:34 EST »

TN has adopted the ICC codes. I am required to keep 6 ICC certifications to do my job, which is monitored by the State. 

But existing construction is grandfathered in and counties can opt out.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 01:40:09 EST »

I think Vinnie is mostly concerned about proper plumbing for a hydroponic system and electrical upgrades for numerous grow lights.

Lol!  Iswydt

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 01:54:04 EST »

But existing construction is grandfathered in and counties can opt out.

Yes, but I think his house is too new for that, (should have met ICC code) and any construction done now would or should have to meet present code regardless if there is any enforcement in that particular county or not. It is a statewide code, the only opt out is for enforcement purposes. The state can pursue and fine or prosecute licensed or unlicensed (but exceed 25K in job cost) contractors who do substandard work regardless if that county has opted out of enforcement or not.

The state just recently put out information for bids to hire people for inspection of and enforcement of the aforementioned contractors. I suspect they have hired these people by now. I checked into it but would interfere with my present job too much for part time work.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 04:44:20 EDT »

Weeellllll, why didn't you say so! Use lots of foil and don't skimp on the good stuff.

G
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 06:23:34 EDT »

lol

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: