VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 02:24:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was in tech school at Keesler AFB when Hurricane Andrew passed through...  (Read 3083 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2014, 03:26:36 EDT »

If you'll recall, it ravaged South Florida and then came up the gulf towards us.  In the days as it approached, they showed us a documentary about the last time a hurricane hit the MS coast (Camille).  Mentioned prominently in it was a story about a "hurricane party" gone horribly wrong.  Well, turns out that never happened.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2014/08/hurricane_camille_party_what_h.html

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 04:42:01 EDT »

After Hugo hit the SC coast in '89, I went down the week after and handled insurance claims for various companies for about 2 1/2yrs. Grown men who said they tried to ride-out the storm to protect their home told me they cried like babies from fear as the storm continued to build and other buildings were desroyed around them. Also did Alicia in Houston/Galveston/Crystal Bay areas in the early 80's.

I've heard of parties in Catagory 1 storms. Camille hit at Mobile and was one of the strongest hurricanes to ever hit the US. Andrew and Hugo were a MAJOR b*tch, but Camille was that  x 2!!! Some say it was the only CAT 5 storm to ever hit the US.

Some story that was. Easy to see how a newsman from New York would buy in, sad to say.

G
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:25:17 EDT by GreggO » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 12:18:45 EDT »

After Hugo hit the SC coast in '89, I went down the week after and handled insurance claims for various companies for about 2 1/2yrs. Grown men wo said they tried to ride-out the storm to protect their home told me they cried like babies from fear as the storm continued to build and other buildings were desroyed around them. Also did Alicia in Houston/Galveston/Crystal Bay areas in the early 80's.

I've heard of parties in Catagory 1 storms. Camille hit at Mobile and was one of the strongest hurricanes to ever hit the US. Andrew and Hugo were a MAJOR b*tch, but Camille was that  x 2!!! Some say it was the only CAT 5 storm to ever hit the US.

Some story that was. Easy to see how a newsman from New York would buy in, sad to say.

G

That was a crazy time.  Most of us had never seen a hurricane before.  We saw what Andrew did to Miami/Homestead, and knew that is was coming for us.  Then they showed us that documentary, I guess just to scare us.  They made us stay in the dorms under guard, and we had to move all the furniture off the walls away from the windows.  We were basically locked in that way for two days.  Pretty scary stuff for a bunch of 18-20 year olds.  Of course, Andrew weakened significantly and ended up making landfall in a less populated area about 30 miles west.  We had some minor flooding and limbs down, but nothing too terrible.  That was my one and only hurricane experience.   

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:29:27 EDT »

That was a crazy time.  Most of us had never seen a hurricane before.  We saw what Andrew did to Miami/Homestead, and knew that is was coming for us.  Then they showed us that documentary, I guess just to scare us.  They made us stay in the dorms under guard, and we had to move all the furniture off the walls away from the windows.  We were basically locked in that way for two days.  Pretty scary stuff for a bunch of 18-20 year olds.  Of course, Andrew weakened significantly and ended up making landfall in a less populated area about 30 miles west.  We had some minor flooding and limbs down, but nothing too terrible.  That was my one and only hurricane experience.  

Hurricane Alicia was very different from Hugo. With Alicia, they quit counting the tornados after 50 because they were popping up so fast. On Crystal Beach, I saw an A-frame house that had been pulled off it's stilts, spun around and laid on the ground without breaking a single window. Just a couple of roof shingles had been blown off. In Houston, I saw objects penetrating walls of buildings - just sticking out of the side. Shards of glass, boards and the like just sticking into buildings and trees. A month + a day after Alicia, Houston/Galveston had more rain than Alicia dropped. Hugo was different as I had a meteorology grad studunt who was doing his master's dissertation on the storm tell me there were only straight-line winds. Dozens of homeowners told me a tornado went right past their house because they heard that "freight train" sound. I responded by telling them to get on the freeway up to speed and stick their head out the window; it will sound the same way. Official wind speeds were were much lower than than some outlying speeds I heard. The eye hit north of Charleston around Georgetown. "Danna Wanna's" dad was the chief deputy of detectives in Berkley County and she told me he said wind speeds topped 200mph in Monks Corner. (Lawd, that girl was, uhhh......., nice). Because of the wind speeds, the tidal surge was signifigant. On Ilse of Palms, I had houses floated off their piers (short piers, but the island was under water). Alicia had trees twisted and broken laying every which way. Hugo had trees blown down two directions; one way before the eye, then the other way after.

When Katrina hit, I wanted to help and I hooked-up with a website posting answers to questions to folk's claims questions. I was later asked by an Ontario on-line news site do post there because Canada wanted to help those affected. Since then, I've seen quite a few online rip my latenight work and sign their names. You are correct that hurricanes can do some scary stuff. Me, I'm over being a storm chaser but I could be tempted on a severe one. One can make nearly 100k in about 4mos. I just don't have the energy for 6 days a week, 14hrs a day and working holidays.

G
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:29:59 EDT by GreggO » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:35:27 EDT »

Hurricane Alicia was very different from Hugo. With Alicia, they quit counting the tornados after 50 because the were popping up so fast. On Crystal Beach, I saw an A-frame house that had been pulled off it's stilts, spun around and laid on the ground without breaking a single window. Just a couple of roof shingles had been blown off. In Houston, I saw objects penetrating walls of buildings - just sticking out of the side. Shards of glass, boards and the like just sticking into buildings and trees. A month + a day after Alicia, Houston/Galveston had more rain than Alicia dropped. Hugo was different as I had a meteorology grad studunt who was doing his master's dissertation on the storm tell me there were only straight-line winds. Dozens of homeowners told me a tornado went right past their house because they heard that "freight train" sound. I responded by telling them to get on the freeway up to speed and stick their head out the window; it will sound the same way. Official wind speeds were were much lower than than some outlying speeds I heard. The ey hit north of Charleston around Georgetown. "Danna Wanna's" dad was the ceif deputy in Berkley County and she told me he said wind speeds topped 200mph in Monks Corner. (Lawd, that girl was, uhhh......., nice). Because of the wind speeds, the tidal surge was signifigant. On Ise of Palms, I had houses floated off their piers (short piers, but the island was under water). Alicia had trees twisted and broken laying every which way. Hugo had trees blown down two directions; one way before the eye, then the other way after.

When Katrina hit, I wanted to help and I hooked-up with a website posting answers to questions to folk's claims questions. I was later asked by an Ontario on-line news site do post there because Canada wanted to help those affected. Since then, I've seen quite a few online ripp my latenight work and sign their names. You are correct that hurricanes can do some scary stuff. Me, I'm over being a storm chaser but I could be tempted on a severe one. One can make nearly 100k in about 4mos. I just don't have the energy for 6 days a week, 14hrs a day and working holidays.

G

I did storm chasing claims for 6 years after I retired....That was enough.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:46:29 EDT »

I did storm chasing claims for 6 years after I retired....That was enough.
I did storm chasing all my life

Fortunately none ever caught me

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: