VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 11:23:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those of you convinced that uga suxes  (Read 5724 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:53 EDT »

http://espn.go.com/colleges/georgia/football/story/_/id/7086934/defense-powers-surging-georgia-bulldogs

Georgia ranks among the nation's top defenses in every significant statistical category, confirming that the Bulldogs have caught on to the concepts in Grantham's 3-4 base scheme.

Traditionally under Richt, since Gonzales VanGorder left, they have really suffered from lack of defense, not offense.  That has been rectified, apparently.

I said it below, but Georgia is much better than many of you seem to realize.   The conventional wisdome coming into this season is that Georgia suxes and Richt is gone.  Not only do they not suxes as bad as you think, but Richt will coach next year and Georgia will probably win the East.  In hindsight, our game may well prove to be one of their tougher SEC matches.

And I fully realize I am going out on a limb here, and certainly ICBW, but this is definitely how I see it.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:36:32 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:47 EDT »

Brantley may actually be back for the uga game...which makes that a tough game.  I think without him uga rolls.  But that could well change the winner of the East to USCe.  Then again, Garcia is out, so...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:02:11 EDT »

I will start out by saying that I have said and still maintain that we will be at a talent deficit in every sec game this year, with the exception of Kentucky and Vandy.  I have also said we would most likely be 6-6 this year and maybe 7-5 if we steal one.  I defiantly go with 6 and 6 now without Hunter, Bray and Jackson.

As far a talent goes, uga has far more than we do.  So does florida, lsu, bama, sc, auburn, arkansas.  This won't change next year either.

For the game, I think we had a good chance to win if there were some key plays reversed.  First and most obvious were the long balls on Teague.  This can't happened but yet it happened about 5 times.  If we cover those plays I think one score comes off the board for uga.  Another key was in the first series when uga had the ball.  Murray scrambles and gets tackled inches short of a first down and they convert on fourth.  The leg whip on A.J. had me screaming at the officials.  That's a personal foul that is suppose to be as automatic as a face mask.  It also can break a leg, destroy a knee and end a career.  The worst part about it is the officials were all standing there watching it because A.J. did end up making the tackle.  If that call is made, uga goes back to 3rd and about 23 yards.  They punt and we get good field position.  Instead, they drive down and kick a FG and put us behind right off the bat.  I think that drive set the tone for the game.

Finally, we really need a kicker.  Right now every FG and extra point is a cross you fingers type play.

Everybody on the team needs to step up right now.  I see us at a tipping point and think Dooley's biggest problem is going to be keeping the guys moving forward regardless of the outcome of the next 4 games.  Realistically, we don't have much of a shot.  Our biggest weapons are gone and it's going to be very tough for the next few weeks. 

One think I think Dooley should do is call in Heistland (sp) and slam his fist on the table and yell "Where the HELL is my offensive line!"  OL has been the biggest disappointment of the season so far.  If they don't improve markedly in the next few weeks, I think he should be shown the door at the end of the year. 

Hang in there everyone.  Resist the ignorant "fire Dooley" garbage.  I think he's doing a good job and will get us there if given time.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 06:07:23 EDT »

I agree that the long throws were absolutely essential to uga's success, and that Teague got used.  It took us forever to correct.  Without those long throws, we probably beat them.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:55:24 EDT »

Georgia is a pretty good team but they are not great. I think what a lot of people are worried about is being soundly beaten by an average (by SEC standards) Georgia team in Neyland. In the second half, it looked like Richt took his foot off the gas a little. It could have been worse. We may have only lost by 8 but after the 3rd quarter there was no doubt who was gong to win. In fact, Richt, in typical Richt fashion, failed to put us away decisively and that is another reason why his job is in jeopardy.

CW
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:57:58 EDT by CobbWebb » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:57:42 EDT »

Georgia is a pretty good team but they are not great. I think what a lot of people are worried about is being soundly beaten by an average (by SEC standards) Georgia team in Neyland. In the second half, it looked like Richt took his foot off the gas a little. It could have been worse. We may have only lost by 8 but after the 3rd quarter there was no doubt who was gong to win. In fact, Richt, in typical Richt fashion, failed to put us away decisively and that is another reason why his job is in jeapordy.

CW

They may win the East.  They definintely will if Brantley does not play.  And likely Richt is still around even if they just get close.  IMO.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:06:14 EDT »

UGA suxes because they..........well ...........because they are UGA and they suxes!! 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:30:30 EDT »

In the second half, it looked like Richt took his foot off the gas a little. It could have been worse.

Seriously? In the second half is when UGA pulled away. It was 6-6 at halftime.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:14:41 EDT »

Well, I still don't think UGA is anything special.  We weren't very good going into that game and we had a shot.  They're above average with a fortuitous conference schedule .. and that's all it takes to win the East this year.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:19:03 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:53:19 EDT »

I am saying it could have been worse than it was had Richt not called the dogs off, pun intended. That sort of thing can come back to haunt a coach from time to time.

CW

Seriously? In the second half is when UGA pulled away. It was 6-6 at halftime.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 08:12:02 EDT »

I am saying it could have been worse than it was had Richt not called the dogs off, pun intended. That sort of thing can come back to haunt a coach from time to time.

CW

We'll disagree on that point, I guess. There's no way UGA called the dogs off. UT's defense gave up a couple of big plays that led to UGA scores and played solid at other times. There isn't a coach in America who is foolish enough to call the dogs off with a two TD lead.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:11 EDT »

We'll disagree on that point, I guess. There's no way UGA called the dogs off. UT's defense gave up a couple of big plays that led to UGA scores and played solid at other times. There isn't a coach in America who is foolish enough to call the dogs off with a two TD lead.

Ditto.

But I feel I need to add that whether Richt called the bitches off or not, we also finally adjusted, put in a new FS, and put the kibosh on the long pass.  The fact that the FS intervened and stopped that play a couple times would suggest the bitches were trying but ICBW.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:44 EDT »

Ditto.

But I feel I need to add that whether Richt called the bitches off or not, we also finally adjusted, put in a new FS, and put the kibosh on the long pass.  The fact that the FS intervened and stopped that play a couple times would suggest the bitches were trying but ICBW.

So that word is NOT in the filter.  LOL.

CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 11:53:40 EDT »

Since Johnny is not coaching anymore you may be correct.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: