VTTW Board Index
May 26, 2024, 06:55:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One posters opinion - Offense (2nd in a series)  (Read 1715 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:08:27 EST »

Offense:

Overall a HUGE disappointment.  The offense was offensive.  Sure injuries hurt but after Hunter was hurt NO WR really stepped up.  The OL was a HUGE disappointment, as were the running backs.  To only score 7 points against Kentucky indicates a true disaster.

Offensive Line:
 I really have nothing good to say about the performance of the OL this year.  From Stone’s snapping woes (that led to the disaster the OL became) to our inability to run block the performance of the OL drug down the offense all year.  Stone is our best center from a scheme point of view.  He knows the offense and was good at line calls.  His snapping issues forced us to use the worst blocker on the line at center and he seemed to have issues with line calls.  For the offense to succeed next year Stone needs to recover his confidence and start at center.  Bullard is not the answer, he is the problem. 

Guard was a problem all year.  Bullard missed block after block and ended up at center.  Foster missed more blocks after Bullard became the center.  Anderson played well, for a freshman but IMO not as good as Stone.  Surprised Schofield didn’t get more an opportunity.  The guards had serious issues picking up blitzes.  Anderson and Foster both had issues with blitzes the last three games.  In the run game far too many individual breakdowns.  On trap plays Foster tended to turn up field too early IMO.  Anderson seemed to deliver good, effective blocks when he pulled.

Tackles played better than the guards but that is not saying much.  Thomas was perhaps the most consistent lineman but he too had his moments.  James is perhaps our best pass blocker but had issues in the run game. 

Going forward the OL needs big changes.  We need to get Tiny Richardson on the field.  We need to open up all five positions to competition that extends into the season, unlike this year.  IMO we need to change coaches.

Running backs:
None of the RBs displayed an ability to play SEC level football.  Poole seemed to be playing for himself (his comments after the game yesterday seemed to confirm that). Poole has zero vision as he missed hole after hole all year.   Lane perhaps was our best back but injuries slowed him down all year.  Lane is very good as a receiver out of the backfield.  Why are we so thin at RB??

At full back we are of.  The FB was not the issue with the running game.  It was frustrating to see Bartholomew make block after block, only to see Poole go the other way .  Bartholomew needs to continue to develop his routes and pass catching ability.  Fugate disappeared after losing the starting position.

Going forward, Lane needs to develop and we need 1-2 SEC caliber RBs in this class (as much as I like Mobley he isn’t one of those).  Perhaps our biggest need is to hire a running backs coach!

Wide Receivers:
Early on Hunter demonstrated the talent he truly is.  If he recovers from the knee injury has has the potential to be an elite receiver (if he isn’t already).  Da’Rick is a very good receiver but not in Hunter’s class.  He is a more physical receiver that needs to play better within the offense.  He needs to improve the consistency in his route running (yesterday provided a nice example, on two consecutive deep outs Da’Rick rounded off the first for an incompletion as the ball was where he was supposed to be if he didn’t round the cut and the second was a completion because he crisply ran the route).  Arnett has the potential to be very, very good but he really was fat too inconsistent the year.  He too needs to bet better at route running.  Neal showed the most improvement and he has the potential to be a good receiver.  The rest of the receivers are not worth comment.

Going forward we need Hunter to recover.  Getting Patterson would be a huge get.  We need Neal and Arnett to develop over the spring and summer.  Da’Rick needs to learn the concept of team. 
Baggett is doing a good job with the receivers IMO.

Tight Ends:
Rivera seemed to regress after Bray’s injury.  Clear showed potential and Downs was a non factor.  TE was a disappointment this year.  Not impressed with Russell’s coaching. 

Going forward getting the TE that originally committed to UNC would be a good catch and perhaps a new TE coach.

Quaterbacks:
Bray has the potential to be a special QB.  He has “it”.  He needs to continue to develop his game management.  Woorley can be a good backup to Bray next year.  We can debate the wisdom of pulling his RS but the PT he got will pay dividends IMO.  He has a better understanding of what it takes to play in the SEC and where he needs to concentrate in his development.  In my view his playing was a plus at the end of the day.  Simms, good physical tools matched to a high school game level mind. 

Coaching:
I think Chaney tried to do too much after Bray was hurt.  Our inability to run the ball resulted in a finesse based offense that demands a bit of gimmickry.  Bray could compensate for the lack of a running game but without Bray we were dead in the water.  I’m not prepared to want his replacement (unless there are no other changes imminent) but we need to step it up next year.  Speaking of changes, Hiestand and Russell need to be replaced.  Hiestand’s unit has not shown any improvement and his belief of no real, effective competition during the season is flat wrong IMO.  His unit flat sucked this year and he appeared to attempt little to improve it.  I think Hinshaw is doing ok as a QB coach but would be willing to accept a RB coach in his place and let Chaney coach QBs.  Losing Hunter and Bray hurt but their injuries just further exposed the deficiencies behind them.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:34:11 EST »

I'm in complete agreement with all of that, except I'm not ready to say that Baggett did a good job this year. I'm not saying he should be fired; just saying that I'm going to keep an open mind on that one for another season.

Like you, I thought Hinshaw did a decent job but if we need to eliminate him in order to hire a RB coach, so be it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: