VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 01:42:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blame Dooley all you want....knee jerk reaction  (Read 17015 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:42 EDT »

I'll still see what the final tally is even though I'm not hopeful. If we get to 8 wins I'll evaluate, if we get to 9 he's good, and 7 or less is cause for dismissal. We're certainly better in some respects this year (defense and running game), but we need more.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 03:03:01 EDT »

I find it unbelievable that Tennessee fans would suffer in mediocrity in the name of coaching stability. We are afraid of firing THIS guy? I'm not sure who they hire... I don't really care... But Dooley is, to quote Vinnie, a bargain bin coach.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 03:26:28 EDT »

Yeah, if he needs to go he should go. Again, I'll withhold judgement until more games have been played, but it (a good enough season) doesn't look likely now. If he can't go at least 4-4 and probably 5-3 in the SEC with this bunch things aren't going well enough.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:41:05 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 03:31:26 EDT »

I don't think the team quit, and if they did, it wasn't until the last 9 minutes when the game was basically out of reach.  I would have liked to see more fight, but it was still IMO a huge improvement over last season.

No one is tolerating mediocrity and it's not about "coaching stability".  It's about, if we bring another guy in, he's probably going to rip off another losing season or two, and may not do any better.  It would be far better for Dooley to continue to build and bring in some solid recruits, have a good enough season to get by and then if we get most of our skill players back we could actually challenge for the SEC next year.  That would be the best thing for the program.

Not only that, if Dooley builds the program a bit better it might make the program more attractive to a big name coach if we decide to make a change later.   A good example is how Shula left bama when Saban came along.  I don't think we are quite there yet.  Hell, half the reason we hired Dooley is because probably no coach worth his salt would touch the mess we had become.  Which was true when bama hired Shula also.

It's also about not over-reacting to ONE GAME early in the season, no matter how a big a rival, how many times in a row they have beaten us, or how weak they SEEM to be coming in to the game.

Here's the deal...I don't mind a lot of you guys being down on Dooley at all.  Heck, I was down on him for much of last year.   But using logic and not emotion, he does have a chance to turn things around.

I don't want to give any odds on his chances of doing so, but there are plenty of games and opportunities still ahead to make this a successful season.  I am going to wait and see how it goes.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 03:39:18 EDT »

No one is tolerating mediocrity and it's not about "coaching stability".  It's about, if we bring another guy in, he's probably going to rip off another losing season or two, and may not do any better.  It would be far better for Dooley to continue to build and bring in some solid recruits, have a good enough season to get by and then if we get most of our skill players back we could actually challenge for the SEC next year.  That would be the best thing for the program.

It's also about not over-reacting to ONE GAME early in the season, no matter how a big a rival, how many times in a row they have beaten us, or how weak they SEEM to be coming in to the game.

It's not about coaching stability? I'd suggest you read some of the posts here.

You don't fire a mediocre coach because you're fearful that the next guy will suck? With all due respect that's a loser's mentality.

And it makes me laugh that anybody thinks this is about one game. The one game is just my tipping point.

I actually admire anyone who can "let it play out" but I think your stance is the one grounded in emotion rather than logic, not the other way around. The team I saw last night will not beat SC, UGa, Mississippi State on the road and have no shot against Alabama. 7-5 at best. How long are we willing to put up with it?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:05 EDT »

I don't think the team quit, and if they did, it wasn't until the last 9 minutes when the game was basically out of reach.
They quit.

11B4PJ3F7
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:37 EDT »

They might have, but I still think my point in Pirate's 2nd quarter review about a lack of substitutions has merit. You can't gas your own guys. Look at the number of plays Burton had been in versus the number of plays Teague was in. The fresh guy wins that race every time.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:46 EDT »

14 down with 9 minutes to go should, in theory anyway, NOT be considered "out of reach".  But the hallmark of Dooley's teams is shizzleting the bed at the slightest hint of adversity, so the whole stadium knew it was over at that point. 14?  Might as well have been 140.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 04:12:18 EDT »

14 down with 9 minutes to go should, in theory anyway, NOT be considered "out of reach".  But the hallmark of Dooley's teams is shizzleting the bed at the slightest hint of adversity, so the whole stadium knew it was over at that point. 14?  Might as well have been 140.

When Tennessee fell behind 27-20,I had a feeling Tennessee was finished.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 04:37:56 EDT »

It was over when Florida punched our guys in the mouth and tied the game.

Go Big Orange.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:44 EDT »

Nobody else on the schedule turns the coaches/players into head cases like UF.  We'll see what lessons the team has learned with this loss and how they respond to adversity.  There's a lot of football left.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:25 EDT »

It was over when Florida punched our guys in the mouth and tied the game.

Yep.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 03:48:07 EDT »

From what he had to deal with when he took over..just to have Gameday here from where they were last year is an improvement..Florida is a better team...period..Yes UT has improved with Dooley recruiting and getting Juco players but it is what it is..As much as UT has improved so have other teams like Florida..There is no magic bullet..UT will get better but firing the man after this game is stupid

Its not about the talent or lack thereof........its the lack of heart on display year after year. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: