VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 04:44:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first experience as a road rage victim  (Read 40055 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 08:10:31 EDT »

Did you just call a lady a dumbass? 

That's a C&P of what he/she said to me, though I edited it a bit.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 08:14:49 EDT »

Did you just call a lady a dumbass? 

And since you brought it up, technically calling someone a dumbass is a vioation of board rules, but I CGAS.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 08:20:50 EDT »

And since you brought it up, technically staying in the left lane is a violation of state rules, but I CGAS.

Hmmm... 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 08:22:03 EDT »

No 'etiquette' is to get over --- you are the type driver than can cause road rage.  HA!  :)   A HUGE pet peeve of mine...not only are you breaking the law in most states, you simply are being rude.  JMHO..

The situation almost never occurs since I drive fast anyway, and if it does occur, I move over if I see the person coming up behind me, assuming there is room to do so.

It's only very rare cases that someone would actually be driving faster than me AND move up on me suddenly enough that I don't see them coming.

This might happen a couple times a year, AT MOST.

Maybe it's because you become angry when people drive in the left lane and go REALLY SLOW. I don't blame you.  That pisses me off  also.  Just the other night a person was doing 40 in a 55 in the left lane and I nearly blew a gasket.

You won't ever see me doing that, I promise.  LOL!

So if you wanna bust my balls over something that happens about maybe twice in the approximately 500-600 hours I spend driving every year, go right ahead.

LOL!   

I don't really understand all the interest in my driving habits, but whatever.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:10 EDT »

The situation almost never occurs since I drive fast anyway, and if it does occur, I move over if I see the person coming up behind me, assuming there is room to do so.

It's only very rare cases that someone would actually be driving faster than me AND move up on me suddenly enough that I don't see them coming.

This might happen a couple times a year, AT MOST.

Maybe it's because you become angry when people drive in the left lane and go REALLY SLOW. I don't blame you.  That pisses me off  also.  Just the other night a person was doing 40 in a 55 in the left lane and I nearly blew a gasket.

You won't ever see me doing that, I promise.  LOL!

So if you wanna bust my balls over something that happens about maybe twice in the approximately 500-600 hours I spend driving every year, go right ahead.

LOL!   

I don't really understand all the interest in my driving habits, but whatever.

Maybe it was your "bragging" about forcing people to pass you on the right....don't know, but seems I read somewhere you did that a time or two.   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 08:27:51 EDT »

Hmmm... 

Glorious.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 08:58:10 EDT »

Glorious.   

You are very easy to impress.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 09:06:29 EDT »

Maybe it was your "bragging" about forcing people to pass you on the right....don't know, but seems I read somewhere you did that a time or two.   

Well no, that's not what I meant.

The only time I would force someone to pass on the right is if they start tailgating and flashing their lights.  And that's only happened 3-4 times in the 30 years I have been driving.

My experience with years of driving really fast mostly in the left lane on interstates, is that in fact typically an even faster person (which is rare) will cross into the right lane way before I have a decision to make and that this is the norm IMO.  I'm just saying I expect them to act that way.

As for staying in the left lane, it's sometimes 50-50. Traffic in the right lane tends to clump together.  I will move past one clump, and then depending on where the next clump is, I might or might not move into the right lane.  If I move into the right lane, a couple minutes later I will just go back to the left lane so it's a judgement call in those cases.  And if I am in that situation, and I see someone coming behind me faster, then I do move over.  But if I am in the middle of passing a clump, then I wait until I am past them and then move over. And this is what 98% of the people do when I catch up to them.  I guess the rule is, if you are already passing someone, go ahead and finish and let the faster car by after that.

But if you are doing that and some ahole flashes his lights, I get really pissed lol. But that almost never happens.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 09:35:29 EDT »

You are very easy to impress.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2013, 10:07:02 EDT »

Whatever 

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2013, 10:09:59 EDT »

I hate to tell you, but if you are in the left lane on the interstate with the right lane wide open -- YOU should be in the right lane.  Nothing pisses me off more on the interstate is folks that ride the left lane when there is no traffic in the right.  The signs that say "slower traffic keep right" are there for a reason you know!  If you are not passing, you should be in the right lane -- NOT THE LEFT!      But when I do run into people riding the left lane, I simply pass on the right because you don't ever know when someone has a gun with them...I don't do the blinking light thingy....  By the way, check the law in YOUR state here :  http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left+lane-passing-laws-a-state+by+state-map

You mean that those people who drive in the left lane, even when the right lane is clear and faster traffic is approaching, do not have a God-given right to do so? I just always figured that those people were more important than the 'common folk' and were entitled to drive wherever the heck they chose. This is the age of entitlement,after all.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2013, 10:12:34 EDT »

You mean that those people who drive in the left lane, even when the right lane is clear and faster traffic is approaching, do not have a God-given right to do so? I just always figured that those people were more important than the 'common folk' and were entitled to drive wherever the heck they chose. This is the age of entitlement,after all.

Sure seems that way, doesn't it?   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 10:54:02 EDT »

If they don't see the faster traffic approaching, the faster traffic is free to use the right lane and go around, and not tailgate or flash lights.

Do you have an issue with that?  Cause that's all I am saying.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2013, 11:01:23 EDT »

Since this is such a popular topic, let me give a specific example of why you don't ALWAYS drive in the right lane.

You're headed down the interstate and passing folks on the right.  You pass one clump of cars and approach the next.  As you do so, a semi tractor-trailer pulls into the left lane and strains to go even the speed limit to pass cars that are going below the speed limit.  As you approach the semi and slow down, another faster car approaches from behind you.  There is just barely room to squeeze into a narrow gap between the semi and the next clump of cars, should you care to risk your life doing so.  Instead, you continue to patiently follow the semi, who, although he is going agonizingly slow by your standards, is in fact passing traffic in the right lane.  In the meantime, a large SUV passes your smaller car, accerlerates very quickly on the right, and just manages to squeeze into the gap between the semi and the next car.  You then think to yourself "what a fizzleing idiot" and drive on.

Now, is anyone seriously suggestng that following the semi at a slower pace is not the best decision?  Let me tell you...I have been BOTH the car following the semi and the one third in in line, lol.  But I was the person squeezing into the gap mostly when I was much younger and stupider.

So IMO neither the semi nor the person first in line behind him have to give up their respective spots in line to the ahole that is third in line (who I freely admit is sometimes me, lol.)

THOSE are the cases I am referring to when I say "free to pass in the right lane".

Hope that clears things up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:10:55 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2013, 11:13:12 EDT »

First rule of holes:  Stop Digging 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 11:56:26 EDT »

If they don't see the faster traffic approaching, the faster traffic is free to use the right lane and go around, and not tailgate or flash lights.

Do you have an issue with that?  Cause that's all I am saying.

If you are not passing someone, why in the heck would you be in the left lane? If you get back into the right lane after passing someone, noone need flash lights, etc. That's all I am saying.

This would of course be non-city driving. I can somewhat understand urban area reasons for driving in the left lane even when not 'in the passing mode'.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:31 EDT »

Since this is such a popular topic, let me give a specific example of why you don't ALWAYS drive in the right lane.

You're headed down the interstate and passing folks on the right.  You pass one clump of cars and approach the next.  As you do so, a semi tractor-trailer pulls into the left lane and strains to go even the speed limit to pass cars that are going below the speed limit.  As you approach the semi and slow down, another faster car approaches from behind you.  There is just barely room to squeeze into a narrow gap between the semi and the next clump of cars, should you care to risk your life doing so.  Instead, you continue to patiently follow the semi, who, although he is going agonizingly slow by your standards, is in fact passing traffic in the right lane.  In the meantime, a large SUV passes your smaller car, accerlerates very quickly on the right, and just manages to squeeze into the gap between the semi and the next car.  You then think to yourself "what a fizzleing idiot" and drive on.

Now, is anyone seriously suggestng that following the semi at a slower pace is not the best decision?  Let me tell you...I have been BOTH the car following the semi and the one third in in line, lol.  But I was the person squeezing into the gap mostly when I was much younger and stupider.

So IMO neither the semi nor the person first in line behind him have to give up their respective spots in line to the ahole that is third in line (who I freely admit is sometimes me, lol.)

THOSE are the cases I am referring to when I say "free to pass in the right lane".

Hope that clears things up.

I refer to folks who are 'first' in the left lane and have obvious faster traffic behind them, or even worse folks who permanently drive in the left hand lane. If someone is the 2nd, 3rd, etc vehicle behind this self-appointed left lane pace car, I have no issue as they are not the hold-up.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2013, 12:08:06 EDT »

If you are not passing someone, why in the heck would you be in the left lane? If you get back into the right lane after passing someone, noone need flash lights, etc. That's all I am saying.

This would of course be non-city driving. I can somewhat understand urban area reasons for driving in the left lane even when not 'in the passing mode'.

It's two things.  One, you might be about to pass someone that's a tenth of a mile ahead, and it just isn't worth it to get in the right lane for 30 seconds or whatever.  But if you see the traffic approaching from the rear, then by all means do.  If you don't see it in time, they should just chill and pass in the right lane.  Which is what happens 99.9% of the time and it's no big deal.

Two, if the road is really empty and no one is around, technically you should still be in the right lane, but does it really matter?  it's like a turn signal in that case.  You should use it, but at a country intersection with no other traffic, does it really matter?  So I see that as no big deal.  And in cases where a car does approach rapidly in the left lane, if I see it, which is most of the time, I move over.  But in those cases USUALLY the driver moves to the right before I can even react!

And as I am tooling along in the left lane with no traffic around, I OFTEN approach a slower car in the left lane!  It's very common.  I go around on the right.  No big deal.

The continuted fascination with this topic confuses me, but I like talking about stuff like this, so....

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2013, 12:09:28 EDT »

Pirate I really and truly appreciate what you are saying, but there are no holes here, lol.

I am 100% confident in my opinions in case that wasn't clear.   

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2013, 12:13:34 EDT »

My shovel is shelved.

Whatever that means.  :o)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2013, 12:16:32 EDT »

but there are no holes here, lol.

False.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2013, 12:17:52 EDT »

False.

Huh.  I thought you were sleeping?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2013, 12:18:52 EDT »

My shovel is shelved.

Whatever that means.  :o)

You know, that's the best post of this entire thread.  Me too.   

I can talk driving and traffic till I am blue in the face, but.....

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2013, 04:30:20 EDT »

It's two things.  One, you might be about to pass someone that's a tenth of a mile ahead, and it just isn't worth it to get in the right lane for 30 seconds or whatever.  But if you see the traffic approaching from the rear, then by all means do.  If you don't see it in time, they should just chill and pass in the right lane.  Which is what happens 99.9% of the time and it's no big deal.

Two, if the road is really empty and no one is around, technically you should still be in the right lane, but does it really matter?  it's like a turn signal in that case.  You should use it, but at a country intersection with no other traffic, does it really matter?  So I see that as no big deal.  And in cases where a car does approach rapidly in the left lane, if I see it, which is most of the time, I move over.  But in those cases USUALLY the driver moves to the right before I can even react!

And as I am tooling along in the left lane with no traffic around, I OFTEN approach a slower car in the left lane!  It's very common.  I go around on the right.  No big deal.

The continuted fascination with this topic confuses me, but I like talking about stuff like this, so....

You STILL in the left lane?!  GET OVER IN THE RIGHT LANE, YA JERK!! 

Fer cryin' out loud....
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2013, 05:06:48 EDT »

You STILL in the left lane?!  GET OVER IN THE RIGHT LANE, YA JERK!! 

Fer cryin' out loud....

You are seriously that upset about it?  Jesus Christ, you don't even know me.   

I am actually amused that you are this pissed. 

Let me say this....you need to read the board rules.  That's twice now you have violated the board rules and directly called me a name.

Just sayin......

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: