VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 10:02:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guess its ok to complain about the offensive staff now.  (Read 16012 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 12:07:54 EDT »

I think there is no doubt the OL underperformed last year.  There was a comment or two this spring (I think) attributed to the staff that made oblique reference to the line last year not "buying in"

I can understand the SR laden line on their 3rd or so OL coach being a bit reserved in accepting yet another new scheme, probably one that did not match their body types when implemented.

Yes there were fewer sacks and we had a 1,000 yard rusher but the line had far too many struggles at times for such a talented group (see draft positions).

I never said they didn't underperform...a bit.  But many comments were along the lines of "they suck".  They only way they "sucked" was in an alternate universe where reality does not matter.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 12:08:53 EDT »

Well I was done but............Speaking of back up.....lets back up to last year......one of us made observations about the offense and one was stuck on the defense as the main issue........which one turned out better this year and which one did not? I think that is sufficient backup, but you go ahead and tell me how that is not correct.

I suspect he was like me in not commenting before. I was waiting on you twits to start complaining about the offensive staff before I said anything. After the correctly perceived persecution (persecution is not my word it is yours) I was waiting for this. If that bothers you then I am not sorry.
Ditto:  You are back on it ignore till you are ready to speak with any intelligence about the football team and/or the coaches

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 12:17:28 EDT »

Not dealing with reality?  Bandit, in 2013 UT"s offense was 9th in the SEC in rushing yards, 13th in passing offense, 12th in total offense, and 11th in scoring offense.    And of course, Worley got hurt and was out the last 5-6 games, and all those stats you mention dropped like a rock after that.

No offense, but who's not dealing with reality here?  Those numbers don't lie.  

12th in total offense.  Out of 14 teams.  Given that there were 4 from that OL in NFL camps this pre-season, there is no way anybody with a clue can say that criticizing that OL is anything other than warranted.  

Our offense overall sucked, that's for sure.  But given that we returned only SEVENTEEN TOTAL CATCHES at WR, Worley was relatively unproven and rusty, and our tailbacks were above average but not great, I expected us to suck overall and we did.  But that hardly means the  O line "sucked".

By any objective measure they did well (though I don't deny they could have been better).

Its true we were ninth in the SEC running the ball,  but it was basically a tie with Ole Miss and MSU, who both had a yard or less per game than us.

That still sounds mediocre, but it's a bit misleading, because as everyone knows, the SEC is the best conference in football and there were some great running games last year.  Mostly Auburn and Mizzou, but bammer was their usual good at running and since Arkansas ran on almost every play, they were ahead of us also.

My comparison was to previous years...and as I said (which perhaps is a bit sad) had the best rush O at Tennessee since 1998.
We were 44th in the country running the ball...maybe that says more about the last 15 years than it does last season.

We were 2nd in the SEC and 21st in the country in sacks allowed.

What i am saying is that although the O line could have done better, they were hardly the main problem last year and I would take them back...underperforming or no...in a heartbeat this year.  If we had last year's OL we would have beyotch slapped the gators Saturday.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 12:56:37 EDT »

By any objective measure they did well (though I don't deny they could have been better).

9th, 12th, 11th, and 13th - OUT OF A 14 FRICKIN' TEAM LEAGUE! 

If that's doing well by any objective measure, then the words "objective measure" means something totally different in your world than in the real world.   

Geez, you are stubborn.  Admit you are wrong.  Just do it!  You'll feel a lot better in the long run.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 05:45:59 EDT »

9th, 12th, 11th, and 13th - OUT OF A 14 FRICKIN' TEAM LEAGUE! 

If that's doing well by any objective measure, then the words "objective measure" means something totally different in your world than in the real world.   

Geez, you are stubborn.  Admit you are wrong.  Just do it!  You'll feel a lot better in the long run.   

Read my post again...I didn't say our OFFENSE didn't suck.  It did! It most assuredly did. 

What I did say is...underperforming or no, the O Line was not the problem.

Worley started slowly then got injured and our WRs were green Consequently our passing game sucked most of the year.

But our running game was average by SEC standards and above average by national standards and we didn't get sacked much.  Those are the objective things I look at when judging the O line.  Just saying.

Doesn't matter, it was last year.  We can all agree that this year's line is atrocious.  But they will come along.   

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: