VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:05:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTALLY off topic...  (Read 25489 times)
droner
Admins
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 03:23:08 EST »

No offense to anyone, offended or unoffended, but this thread is walking.
Creek Walker
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 03:30:37 EST »

It's great that Pence wasn't offended. Frankly, I think the incoming Whiner In Chief needs to stop his twitter-bitching about it and move on. He is never going to be an effective president until he learns to act presidential, and being presidential means taking the high road.

The cast of Hamilton lectured Pence on their viewpoints, and Pence wasn't offended. That's great. What's interesting is that, in the past, Pence has lectured his constituents on his viewpoints re: gay marriage, and the LGBT sympathizers have verbally castrated him over it, claiming that they're afraid of what a Trump-Pence administration means for them.

Tolerance works both ways. Unfortunately, I think Vinnie nailed it. That's the current political climate in America.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 04:11:49 EST »

"I wasn't offended, I'll leave it to others if it was the appropriate venue to say it."

Mike Pence

That't not the point. 

So, you take it upon yourself to lecture your paying patrons on political matters? 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 04:26:32 EST »

"I wasn't offended, I'll leave it to others if it was the appropriate venue to say it."

Mike Pence

he took the high road, as opposed to the hypocrites on stage

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 05:52:46 EST »

I think it's funny that the cast thinks so highly of themselves that they feel its their duty to bestow their infinite wisdom upon the audience. Maybe they should just STFU and remember the real reason people came to see them.

It's a play, not a political debate

11B4PJ3F7
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 06:01:16 EST »

I think it's funny that the cast thinks so highly of themselves that they feel its their duty to bestow their infinite wisdom upon the audience. Maybe they should just STFU and remember the real reason people came to see them.

It's even funnier when you consider the actual positions of Hamilton vs the positions of the lecturers on stage
One wonders how many of the Federalist Papers the ensemble have read?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 06:08:49 EST »

It's even funnier when you consider the actual positions of Hamilton vs the positions of the lecturers on stage
One wonders how many of the Federalist Papers the ensemble have read?

I think that thing that drives me nuts faster than anything is when people feel like they are a lot smarter than others and they need to educate them. If I don't have ability to speak about a topic without embarrassing myself, I keep my mouth shut.

I have a binder at my house that contains all of the Federalist Papers, in order. I've had it for about 20 years. I've had both of my boys read them, all of them, so they would be able to form their own opinions on government. It's the best thing I've done for them, they are very astute when it comes to politics.

11B4PJ3F7
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 06:54:56 EST »

Good Gracious almighty - Hamilton sounds like one big gigantic, politically correct, circle jerk.  MFer, why did I have to read this thread and find that out.  All this time I thought the play was about a minor character from the show "Maggie & the Ferocious Beast".  That would have been way cooler.  Also, some of y'all need a reality check - the actor basically called Pence a racist, bigot, and misogynist.   Yea, yea, yea, he didn't use those words specifically, but he took the pretentious, arrogant, high-brow road to do nothing more than low brow insult him.  Ahhh, but he did it in such a moving, artistic, and touching way - ugh.  Meh, it's a small price to pay NOT to have that white witch in da' house.

VOLveeta
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 06:56:22 EST »

That't not the point.  

So, you take it upon yourself to lecture your paying patrons on political matters?  

Oh, it IS the point if you wrongfully claim he chose not to comment.  He did comment.  If you're offended, scratch theatre off your list, and start with Shakespeare's history plays.  They'll likely make you wet your diaper.  The door is unlocked and you can walk right out without your lily white delicate ears being abused (as could Pence, but good for him for listening).  If you feel the cost of that ticket preserves you from differing viewpoints, (especially in for-profit theatre like Broadway) you clearly don't understand the essential purpose of "art".  Stick with sports.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:58:28 EST by VOLveeta » Logged
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 07:04:17 EST »

and hence the reason stage shows are dying....

11B4PJ3F7
VOLveeta
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 07:06:18 EST »

and hence the reason stage shows are dying....

“The theater is the only institution in the world which has been dying for four thousand years and has never succumbed. It requires tough and devoted people to keep it alive.”

― John Steinbeck, Once There Was a War
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 07:11:19 EST »

Not accurate, Pence chose not to comment.  That is NOT the same as not being offended.  Pence showed more character than the cast of Hamilton, or their defenders.

No, he went on a morning talk show and literally said "I was not offended". 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/20/politics/mike-pence-hamilton-message-trump/

As much as the right (of which I consider myself a member) likes to complain that liberals "ignore facts"...pot meet kettle.   

And again, if he isn't why should I be?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 07:14:16 EST »

I do find the comments condescending and biased, but I also read his comments and see real fear.  If he and his ilk are afraid (and for no good reason IMO) then it would not hurt at all for Pence or Trump (but don't hold your breath on that one) to reassure them.  Might even breed unity, who knows?

I do agree about how the other side has treated Pence though.  I will provide details later.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 06:59:05 EST »

See, I agree with Buchanan

While I find the remarks by the cast unoffensive and I don't have any moral outrage about them, they definitely exhibit the ability of the left to project its own insecurities on to everyone else, and act like their (IMO relatively minor) problems are the only ones that matter, and above all, be condescending (and undeservedly so!).

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/11/22/a_besieged_trump_presidency_ahead_132412.html

The arrogance, the assumed posture of moral superiority, the conceit of our cultural elite, on exhibit on that stage Friday night, is what Americans regurgitated when they voted for Donald Trump.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: