VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 07:36:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Thread: South Carolina  (Read 10668 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2020, 05:05:27 EDT »

Damn, we looked really sloppy at the end.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2020, 05:06:55 EDT »

We did not look all that great, but at least we beat Muskrat.
2 in a row baby!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2020, 05:07:06 EDT »

We did not look all that great, but at least we beat Muskrat.

Yep!  We should have beaten him much more than we have, but I'll take this one.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:33:54 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2020, 08:24:25 EDT »

I fell asleep at the half, but will gladly take the result.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2020, 02:49:26 EDT »

JG has the tools and the consistency. The two passes he threw on the last TD drive were beauties. Its just that he consistently throws behind receivers or high to receivers.

We all want him to be, every game, the QB that we watched against Mizzou last season. At this point there's just no evidence that is going to happen. We usually get the QB that we saw against UK (the week after Mizzou last year).

I don't see this team moving to the upper SECE level with JG behind the center unless he figures it out. We all want that but I'm skeptical. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2020, 02:37:14 EDT »

JG has the tools and the consistency. The two passes he threw on the last TD drive were beauties. Its just that he consistently throws behind receivers or high to receivers.

We all want him to be, every game, the QB that we watched against Mizzou last season. At this point there's just no evidence that is going to happen. We usually get the QB that we saw against UK (the week after Mizzou last year).

I don't see this team moving to the upper SECE level with JG behind the center unless he figures it out. We all want that but I'm skeptical. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed.

Agree that JG was very inconsistent.  However he didn't do some of the "brain melt" stupid shizzle he's done in the past either, which is an improvement.  Still not great, but I'll take JG September 2020 over JG September 2019 any day all day, and just hope he improves as the year goes by. 

Put it this way...he looked a lot better against SC than he did Georgia State last year.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2020, 04:35:31 EDT »

Good point Bandit. JG with no turnovers is a guy you can live through a lot of stuff with.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2020, 04:45:48 EDT »

Why is JG the best we have to offer? Why do so many teams have freshman that are better than him?

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2020, 05:57:12 EDT »

I think its possible that JG has the same problems throwing the football that I have with putting.

I can putt all day on the practice green in the conventional two-handed grip.  No worries and no problems.

As soon as I get on the course in a round with friends, the bottom hand tries to close the putter face on every putt.  Nothing I can do about it - except to putt with the "claw", "pencil grip", etc.  I have to take that hand out of the putt.

I think its likely the same for JG in game situations.  The problem is that there is no "pencil-grip" for throwing a football.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2020, 06:31:35 EDT »

I think its possible that JG has the same problems throwing the football that I have with putting.

I can putt all day on the practice green in the conventional two-handed grip.  No worries and no problems.

As soon as I get on the course in a round with friends, the bottom hand tries to close the putter face on every putt.  Nothing I can do about it - except to putt with the "claw", "pencil grip", etc.  I have to take that hand out of the putt.

I think its likely the same for JG in game situations.  The problem is that there is no "pencil-grip" for throwing a football.

Judging by his comments post game Saturday night he is aware of a mechanics issue but seemingly can't get his head wrapped around the solution consistently in-game
Though he did make progress throwing to JJ late last year, more in rhythm

Also may explain why he tends to throw better under pressure (see the TD pass to JJ that he got hurt on in the SCe game last year)

Observe ball location and speed over the middle vs to the sidelines ...

Execution is one thing but one thing that was much improved (sample size of 1) was his decision making
At least a couple a times per game last year I would go !  None Saturday night

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2020, 06:58:59 EDT »

Looks like the same old Vols. I just hope for a lot of improvement before Bama. UGa and UF.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:44:41 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2020, 08:16:17 EDT »

Looks like the same old Vols. I just hope for a lot of improvement before Bama. UGa and UF.

You mean the same Vols who opened by losing to Georgia State and BYU at home, vs this team that beat an SEC team on the road in the opener.   

Seriously, do you think before you type? Are you as intellectually challenged as your posts would indicate, or are you being deliberately obtuse to draw a response?  I honestly don't know, but I lean strongly towards "obtuse".   

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2020, 05:43:00 EDT »

You mean the same Vols who opened by losing to Georgia State and BYU at home, vs this team that beat an SEC team on the road in the opener.   

Seriously, do you think before you type? Are you as intellectually challenged as your posts would indicate, or are you being deliberately obtuse to draw a response?  I honestly don't know, but I lean strongly towards "obtuse".   
No. I just call it like I see it on the field. What part of that was impressive? This is a game we should win. If JG is the best we got then the other QB's on the roster are not THE guy either. I just stated that we need to improve a lot to beat our top rivals. A win is a win and good anytime. I just saw what other SEC teams did their first game and many of them played better. Trask at UF looked really good. Don't know where that came from. Maybe Ole Miss D is terrible. UGa looks to be  challenged as well. What is up with our Oline? Either it underacheived or is not as good as the hype. Which do you believe?

volsboyinsodak
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2020, 10:06:07 EDT »

Watching the replay last night, he looks to be throwing off his back foot causing the pass to sail high. My guess is the years of getting pounded and under constant pressure are still in the back of his mind. I wish they would roll him out some to get him out of the pocket because he can hurt you with his legs. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2020, 10:23:44 EDT »

Watching the replay last night, he looks to be throwing off his back foot causing the pass to sail high. My guess is the years of getting pounded and under constant pressure are still in the back of his mind. I wish they would roll him out some to get him out of the pocket because he can hurt you with his legs. 
Watch his front foot (specifically the high throws) ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2020, 10:24:39 EDT »

Watch his front foot (specifically the high throws) ...

Yep.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2020, 02:06:14 EDT »

Interesting observation. Regardless of erratic play, JG is as tough as they come. My goodness he's taken some beatings.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2020, 12:55:23 EDT »

No. I just call it like I see it on the field. What part of that was impressive? This is a game we should win. If JG is the best we got then the other QB's on the roster are not THE guy either. I just stated that we need to improve a lot to beat our top rivals. A win is a win and good anytime. I just saw what other SEC teams did their first game and many of them played better. Trask at UF looked really good. Don't know where that came from. Maybe Ole Miss D is terrible. UGa looks to be  challenged as well. What is up with our Oline? Either it underacheived or is not as good as the hype. Which do you believe?

So we went 4-8 in 2017, literally the worst season in our history, the first time we lost more than 7 games, and the only time we have ever gone winless in the SEC.  Then last year we lost 4 of our first 5 with the only win coming against an overmatched non-P5 team.  We then recovered nicely winning 6 of the last 7 and a bowl game, with the only loss a respectible one to bammer.

So what part of Saturday was "the same ole Vols"?  That is such an ignorant statement. Your whole schticck is you want the Vols to suddenly, magically (apparently) be like Uga or bama or LSU. 

It just doesn't happen that way.  Your expectations are delusional, and you get butt hurt when they are not met.

Here's my take on the team so far.  It's night and day better than the team that showed up last September.  If you can't see the difference between beating an SEC team on the road and losing to Georgia State on your own home filed, then there is no helping you.  It suggests that whatever the adult version of the short bus is, you are riding it, and in a corner reserved for the "most special" folks on the bus.

There almost isn't any point in further discussion.

If you expect a team that opened last year by losing to Georgia State to have national championship aspirations the following season, then you are either as mentally challenged as I suggest above, or literally clinically insane. 

What I see so far is a continiuation of the steady progress shown in our last 6-7 games last season and I expect that to continue Saturday.  Should be a fun season, I think we win at least 6 but could see us winning 8. I guess we will see.

I will be specific.  I expect us to beat mizzou, kentucky, vandy, arkansas, period, dot.  I think it's likely that we beat Texas A&M for win 6.   Then we just need to steal one from uga, florida or bama, which I think is very possible, in the order I typed them. 

Those are my expectations.  Seven wins on this schedule would be great, 8 would be amazing. 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2020, 05:07:04 EDT »

So we went 4-8 in 2017, literally the worst season in our history, the first time we lost more than 7 games, and the only time we have ever gone winless in the SEC.  Then last year we lost 4 of our first 5 with the only win coming against an overmatched non-P5 team.  We then recovered nicely winning 6 of the last 7 and a bowl game, with the only loss a respectible one to bammer.

So what part of Saturday was "the same ole Vols"?  That is such an ignorant statement. Your whole schticck is you want the Vols to suddenly, magically (apparently) be like Uga or bama or LSU.  

It just doesn't happen that way.  Your expectations are delusional, and you get butt hurt when they are not met.

Here's my take on the team so far.  It's night and day better than the team that showed up last September.  If you can't see the difference between beating an SEC team on the road and losing to Georgia State on your own home filed, then there is no helping you.  It suggests that whatever the adult version of the short bus is, you are riding it, and in a corner reserved for the "most special" folks on the bus.

There almost isn't any point in further discussion.

If you expect a team that opened last year by losing to Georgia State to have national championship aspirations the following season, then you are either as mentally challenged as I suggest above, or literally clinically insane.  

What I see so far is a continiuation of the steady progress shown in our last 6-7 games last season and I expect that to continue Saturday.  Should be a fun season, I think we win at least 6 but could see us winning 8. I guess we will see.

I will be specific.  I expect us to beat mizzou, kentucky, vandy, arkansas, period, dot.  I think it's likely that we beat Texas A&M for win 6.   Then we just need to steal one from uga, florida or bama, which I think is very possible, in the order I typed them.  

Those are my expectations.  Seven wins on this schedule would be great, 8 would be amazing.  
What part of same old Vols do you not see? Beat teams they are supposed to beat while MSU, a team we beat last year, broke records in their debut with a new coach and 5th year qb against LSU. I don't expect the Vols to beat UGA and Bama or maybe even UF yet. They may beat all of them. Who knows?  What I see is the same old team with a mediocre coach struggling to beat SCar. I like Pruitt. I want him to succeed. How long does he get? How long before he HAS to beat UGa, Bama and UF. It is fans like you that make excuses for mediocre play that annoy me. They should be able to play for a title occasionally. Question....how many SEC teams looked better than the Vols week 1?  Come on Bandit, quit making excuses for mediocrity.  Pruitt is payed well for being average so far. Why can't they move on from JG? The QB coach is stealing his paycheck too. I would love to see what Kiffin could do with JG.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:38:41 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2020, 12:46:09 EDT »

What part of same old Vols do you not see? Beat teams they are supposed to beat while MSU, a team we beat last year, broke records in their debut with a new coach and 5th year qb against LSU. I don't expect the Vols to beat UGA and Bama or maybe even UF yet. They may beat all of them. Who knows?  What I see is the same old team with a mediocre coach struggling to beat SCar. I like Pruitt. I want him to succeed. How long does he get? How long before he HAS to beat UGa, Bama and UF. It is fans like you that make excuses for mediocre play that annoy me. They should be able to play for a title occasionally. Question....how many SEC teams looked better than the Vols week 1?  Come on Bandit, quit making excuses for mediocrity.  Pruitt is payed well for being average so far. Why can't they move on from JG? The QB coach is stealing his paycheck too. I would love to see what Kiffin could do with JG.

Were we supposed to beat the cocks on the road, really?  We weren't favored by that much, Muschamp had taken 6 in a row from us prior to last season and while they don't win a lot, they did beat uga last year and are a tough out at home.  We would have been run off the field by this SC team last September.  If you can't see that then either you don't understand football or are being willfully ignorant (a bit of each I think).

And yes, it of course makes sense to point to the best performance of the week, season, or decade and assume we should be doing that (sarcasm  ).  You always do this.  I'll up the ante on you.  Heck, Bellichek is looking good winning with a QB totally different than Brady.  Whodathunk he could get all that out of Cam Newton?  WHY THE HELL AREN'T WE WINNING THE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR!  That's what I want. I demand it!  Who cares about football smarts, reason, or even common sense?  I WANT TO WIN DAMMIT, IT HELPS MY BUZZ WHEN I GET DRUNK DURING THE GAME GOLDARNIT!!!  Seriously though, any good coach should be able to (if it were possible) beat the super bowl champion Chiefs this year.  It's not that hard.  WTF is wrong with Pruitt?

It's not a matter of mediocre play, that's subjective.  What matters to me is that we won, and we won under tough conditions that showed mental fortitude. If you can't see progress from last season in that, then you are fizzleing BLIND!!! I can't even begin to describe to you how back-asswards IGNORANT your opinions are.  It's unbelievable. 

GOLDARNIT WHY AREN'T WE LSU OR BAMMER!!! THAT'S WHAT I WANT.  I JUST WANT IT.  HOW COME WE AIN'T LIKE THAT??!!!? 

How many SEC teams looked better than us is again subjective.  But I guarantee you we looked better than the 7 that lost, so there is that.  Again, how much worse did losing to Ga State look?  Holy shizzle!  Are you really that dense?  Heck, USC came back and almost made it a game against the gators today. Is Mullen overpaid?  Against the cocks, Florida should have won 52-0 I guess, never mind that USC is an SEC team with legit SEC talent.   

As for JG, he had a great game today.  And read closely what I type next...Gene Chizek pointed out in the post game that this is the first year that JG has had the same OC two years in a row.  Color me cautiously optimistic. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: