VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:45:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Truth  (Read 4654 times)
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:02:00 EDT »

To the rumor Josh Pastner wants 2 dump the Tennessee-Memphis series?

GO VOLS! 
101stDad
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:29:37 EDT »

Yep.  He said so today on a Knoxville sports talk show:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/jul/18/pastner-ut-game-is-a-bad-fit/?partner=RSS

When you look at it from his perspective, he is right.  The game really doesn't benefit Memphis as a recruiting tool like it does UT. 

RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:01:57 EDT »

Does the word Rivalry mean anything just because we beat the crap out of them in one game does mean you have 2 bail on the series. Come on Josh have some pride.

GO VOLS! 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:54:51 EDT »

Yep.  He said so today on a Knoxville sports talk show:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/jul/18/pastner-ut-game-is-a-bad-fit/?partner=RSS

When you look at it from his perspective, he is right.  The game really doesn't benefit Memphis as a recruiting tool like it does UT.  

Yep, I was listening to the SportsAnimal during the interview and his explanation did make sense when you look at it from his point of view.  Knoxville is not a bball recruiting hotbed, that's just the honest truth.

And it's not just UT, he said he has no desire to play other SEC schools that apparently want a series with Memphis, such as Ole Miss and Arkansas, who want an "in" in Memphis recruiting.  Why lay out the welcome mat for all these schools in your town?

Personally I've no problem with what he said and it makes total sense.  There's just nothing in it for them, and I respect the guy for being open and honest about it.  And from what I know about him he doesn't appear to be the slimeball his predecessor was and is.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:02:05 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:12 EDT »

That was the same logic Calipari always used and he was a jerk for it. Therefore, Pastner must be a jerk, too. 

Of course, Calipari had to say it in his little snide way and talk about how Memphis was a "national" program that didn't need to play these "regional" programs. And his besties (Dick Vitale, etc.) wonder why the rest of the basketball world sees him as such a sleazeball.

Pastner's logic is infallible. But the UT-Memphis rivalry has the potential to be one of the best in college basketball. The interest generated by a strong rivalry like that is beneficial to both teams. I would venture a guess that Memphis got more headlines in the runup to the UT game the last few years than they did the rest of the season in CUSA.
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:55:22 EDT »

I always thought the basketball series was tied directly to the football series.  If the basketball series was cancelled, what would keep UT from scheduling a game in Memphis that did not require them to play Memphis State?  Similiar to what UT has done in Nashville in the past.  Who controls the Fed Ex Forum? 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 03:31:20 EDT »

I always thought the basketball series was tied directly to the football series.  If the basketball series was cancelled, what would keep UT from scheduling a game in Memphis that did not require them to play Memphis State?  Similiar to what UT has done in Nashville in the past.  Who controls the Fed Ex Forum? 

I'm not sure about who controls the arena... if it's the city of Memphis, UT probably wouldn't get anywhere with that.

I agree about the football series... if they don't want to play us in basketball, we should never play them in football.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
101stDad
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:53:06 EDT »

I'm not sure about who controls the arena... if it's the city of Memphis, UT probably wouldn't get anywhere with that.

I agree about the football series... if they don't want to play us in basketball, we should never play them in football.

And that is why Memphis will agree to play UT in basketball, too.  UT won't schedule them in football otherwise, and Memphis makes way too much money from the football series to risk losing it. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:19 EDT »

Ftr, I never thought Coach Cal was a slimeball for not wanting to play us.  There are much better reasons that he is a slimeball. :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: