VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 05:44:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good read on the reasons behind the Netflix price hike...  (Read 4347 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:52:46 EDT »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20080346-261/is-netflix-killing-dvds-like-apple-killed-floppies-q-a/?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:15:14 EDT »

I think that's a bit presumptuous and far-fetched.

Steve Jobs didn't kill the floppy disc...the iMac didn't include the floppy drive because the format was already dead. Or at least in its death throes. If the floppy had still been a relevant format at that time, the absence of a floppy drive on the iMac wouldn't have been sufficient to kill it. How saturated was the personal computing market with iMacs in 1998? Not very.

DVD is much more relevant today than the floppy was back then. There will be a time when this, too, is a dead format. But it isn't now and I don't really think that Netflix is going to be successful in changing that anytime soon. There are still many advantages to DVDs over Netflix. Significant swaths of this nation doesn't yet have the infrastructure in place for Internet speeds capable of streaming video with the same quality you get from a DVD. And it's going to be a long time before Netflix's video library is sufficient enough for folks to pitch their DVDs and players into the trashcan.

Color me skeptical. What I do know is that I'm a Netflix customer now. On Sept. 1 I will not be. If Netflix successfully kills DVD, fine. I'll be back because I won't have a choice. In the meantime, I'm not going to pay those prices. As a casual movie watcher, it isn't worth it to me.
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:28:56 EDT »

Color me skeptical. What I do know is that I'm a Netflix customer now. On Sept. 1 I will not be. If Netflix successfully kills DVD, fine. I'll be back because I won't have a choice. In the meantime, I'm not going to pay those prices. As a casual movie watcher, it isn't worth it to me.

My wife and I are on the same page you are. We are very casual movie watchers, and the monthly increase was enough to ditch Netflix DVD plan. We are still thinking about keeping the streaming plan; mostly for kid's shows and the occasional TV show we like to watch.  We can always go to the Red Box rental kiosks that are close to us to watch any recent movie.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:16:36 EDT »

I'm not much of a movie or tech guy, and I don't have cable,  but is it possible cable could take out Netflix by bundling the the exact same service for $10 extra a month?

I was discussing Netflix's future with a friend recently and it seems that would be an easy move.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Quasi EVol
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:47 EDT »

I'm not much of a movie or tech guy, and I don't have cable,  but is it possible cable could take out Netflix by bundling the the exact same service for $10 extra a month?

I was discussing Netflix's future with a friend recently and it seems that would be an easy move.

Streaming media services will bump heads with ISPs who cap data usage like AT&T & Comcast.  Online choices will be limited if your Internet access gets suspended for a year.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:20 EDT »

I think it's an interesting strategy, if true.  The most cost-effective delivery system for Netflix is streaming, and it's also the most convenient for their customer.  They've had problems acquiring the streaming rights to first-run movies, and this may be the way to force the studios' hands, especially if their customer base turns to piracy.  It's a big gamble, but may just benefit everyone in the end. 

Personally, I only have the streaming plan anyway, so the increase didn't effect me.  I'm not a big movie renter- if there's a movie that I like well enough to want to see a 2nd time or more (and there aren't many), I'll buy the blu-ray.  I mostly use Netflix to catch up on TV shows I haven't seen (currently watching "Weeds") and for the documentaries.  The selection of docs available for streaming is second to none.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:34:21 EDT »

I still have not even bothered with Netflix, perhaps because I am VERY causual renter of movies.  Just a handful a year.  The streaming option is attractive for catching up on a few shows I missed, but right now thats a future goal.

I am still working on getting a wireless router and changing internet providers.  Next on the list is a sound system upgrade.  Then I will choose between updating my gaming system or getting netflix.

So many entertainment options, so little time. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: