VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 01:47:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Joe Alleva as UT's new AD rumors are gaining a lot of steam.  (Read 7879 times)
101stDad
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:25:18 EDT »

It appears that there is a lot of interest both ways.

LSU's Chancellor makes a statement on it:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110726/SPORTS0202/110726014/LSU-chancellor-wants-keep-athletic-director

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:30:12 EDT »

Meh.
101stDad
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:36:40 EDT »

Meh.

Undergrad and MBA from Lehigh where he was baseball player and then a graduate assistant coach, AD at Duke during the best run of NCAA basketball championships, been at LSU since 2008, so he knows the SEC and a big time athletic department.  He's got some damned good credentials.  Not sure how we could do much better. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:48:30 EDT »

Undergrad and MBA from Lehigh where he was baseball player and then a graduate assistant coach, AD at Duke during the best run of NCAA basketball championships, been at LSU since 2008, so he knows the SEC and a big time athletic department.  He's got some damned good credentials.  Not sure how we could do much better. 

The one black mark against him is that he presided over the Duke Lacrosse scandal, IMO one of the most shameful episodes ever in college sports.  And he wasn't just a casual bystander, he actively took the lying accuser's side from the get-go, and threw his athletes under the bus.  That's a deal-breaker for me. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:02:17 EDT »

VQ reporting he could be officially announced as soon as tomorrow afternoon.  I'm not happy with the hire, but I'll stand behind him until he gives me reason not to.

101stDad
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:05:37 EDT »

The one black mark against him is that he presided over the Duke Lacrosse scandal, IMO one of the most shameful episodes ever in college sports.  And he wasn't just a casual bystander, he actively took the lying accuser's side from the get-go, and threw his athletes under the bus.  That's a deal-breaker for me. 

I won't argue with you on that point.  I didn't understand it at the time, either.  What we don't know is how much pressure he got from his higher ups to take the stance that he did. 

We all have bosses, and we have to abide by their wishes, or seek other employers. 
101stDad
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:16:34 EDT »

I'll be danged.  He is staying at LSU:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6805817/sources-tennessee-targets-lsu-joe-alleva-replace-mike-hamilton-athletic-director
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 02:20:13 EDT »

Good.  Now go get the guy from Washington and be done with it.  If he says no, give Blackburn the job.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:37:39 EDT »

Good. 

Yep.

It's all moot now, but this would have been a bad hire for UT. The only thing he's done right is oversee Duke's basketball program...and it's not like he had to do anything there but sit back and let it happen. His football hires were disasters (one could argue that Cutcliffe was decent, but the two before him were certainly not), the Duke baseball program was in shambles, there was the lacrosse team incident, which he handled poorly on every level. And let's not forget the drunk boating accident a few years ago. It was his son who was doing the driving, but still...

Anyway, it's bizarre that LSU would publicly announce that Alleva was interested in UT, then Alleva reject UT a few hours later.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:38:57 EDT »

Oh, and as much as I think we dodged a bullet by "missing out" on Alleva, Cheeks' handling of this situation just further illustrates his incompetence.  How the hell has he managed to keep HIS job?  If we DO come out of this with a quality AD, it'll be by sheer dumb luck.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:41:10 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:40:18 EDT »

That made him someone I would NOT accept, period, dot!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:54:32 EDT »

I won't argue with you on that point.  I didn't understand it at the time, either.  What we don't know is how much pressure he got from his higher ups to take the stance that he did. 

We all have bosses, and we have to abide by their wishes, or seek other employers. 

I'm in your camp on that, Bill. But, BDV has some good points as well.

I realize that time is against us at the moment, so I want to hear the sanctions, make a hire and get on with it.

G   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 03:03:50 EDT »

Here's a thought:  Keep Joan Cronan in the AD chair for the next 2-3 years.  By that time, we'll have a pretty good idea of what kind of coach Dooley is going to be.  If things aren't working out for him on the sidelines, give him the AD job.  He WAS La Tech's AD, afterall.  And I think he may be the most intelligent employee in our athletic department.  Maybe the ONLY intelligent employee in our athletic department.  Give it a couple years, and we could just luck ourselves into the best AD we've ever had.  At this rate, it doesn't look like anyone else is going to accept the job before then anyway.

Yes, I'm joking.  Well, half-joking.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 03:34:12 EDT »

Wow, glad this didn't pan out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: