VTTW Board Index
June 06, 2024, 03:11:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, at least now I know where I am going to live....  (Read 6222 times)
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:47:36 EDT »

....at least for the first 10-12 months.  Wife and I got a rental in the Farragut area, not too far from Kingston Pike and right behind the Wal-Mart in Turkey Creek shopping area.  And speaking of that shopping area, my wife's eyes lit up with all the shopping there and in that whole area.  We currently have to drive 45 minutes to any good shopping. It will now be a 5-10 minute drive.

Driving down on the 31st, with the movers getting there on either the 1st or 2nd. West Knoxville....here we come.

And did you know that the Farragut primary school has 17 Kindergarten classes? 17!  Wow.

Oh, and BTV, we want to put in an order of steak sammiches when we crash your place once we are settled in. 

Bammer suxes! That is all!
101stDad
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:17:22 EDT »

Nice area, but prepare for traffic, traffic, and more traffic.  Pretty much anything you would want there.  Costco is building at Kingston Pike and Lovell Road.  That project is supposed to begin in the next couple of months and will add even more traffic issues to the area.   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:42:52 EDT »

Nice area, but prepare for traffic, traffic, and more traffic.  Pretty much anything you would want there.  Costco is building at Kingston Pike and Lovell Road.  That project is supposed to begin in the next couple of months and will add even more traffic issues to the area.   

this...Knoxville's infrastructure just isn't good enough either.

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:04:52 EDT »

this...Knoxville's infrastructure just isn't good enough either.

Oh, sure. Now you tell me.  Trying to rain on my parade, are you?

I did notice this past weekend that the traffic was an adjustment we would have to make. My little town of 7k right now does not have those issues. It is always a trade-off, though. I think we will enjoy it overall.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:13:33 EDT »

I did notice this past weekend that the traffic was an adjustment we would have to make. My little town of 7k right now does not have those issues. It is always a trade-off, though. I think we will enjoy it overall.

You'll get used to that. I don't think Knoxville traffic is too terrible most of the time, but you do have one of the most busy areas in your backyard with Turkey Creek. Don't drive through there between Thanksgiving and Christmas unless you have to. If I understand you right, you don't need to touch that area to get to and from your house, right? You get home from Kingston Pike? It may not be too bad for you then.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:20:10 EDT »

You'll get used to that. I don't think Knoxville traffic is too terrible most of the time, but you do have one of the most busy areas in your backyard with Turkey Creek. Don't drive through there between Thanksgiving and Christmas unless you have to. If I understand you right, you don't need to touch that area to get to and from your house, right? You get home from Kingston Pike? It may not be too bad for you then.

Right. My assumption now is that I will be taking my 5 almost 6yo to the Farragut Primary School on Campbell Station Rd (I think that is right), then hit I-40 from there and scoot over to Sherrill Blvd where I will be working.

My wife did say that Turkey Creek area looked like a nightmare waiting to happen b/w Thanksgiving and Christmas, as you say. 

By the way, know anything about Knology? Saw this company in the list of available cable/internet provider companies in the area, along with the typical ATT and Comcast (I think it was Comcast).  Any suggestions? We will probably stick with Dish for the TV; just need an internet provider with reasonable rates.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:28:59 EDT »

Right. My assumption now is that I will be taking my 5 almost 6yo to the Farragut Primary School on Campbell Station Rd (I think that is right), then hit I-40 from there and scoot over to Sherrill Blvd where I will be working.

My wife did say that Turkey Creek area looked like a nightmare waiting to happen b/w Thanksgiving and Christmas, as you say. 

By the way, know anything about Knology? Saw this company in the list of available cable/internet provider companies in the area, along with the typical ATT and Comcast (I think it was Comcast).  Any suggestions? We will probably stick with Dish for the TV; just need an internet provider with reasonable rates.

I'd go with Comcast. I've never had Knology but I've looked into it before and was turned off. I rarely have outages with Comcast and consistently get 20 Mbps download speeds these days. We have their cable too, and there are some problems with that, but nary a problem with internet. I'm hoping someone else on here has (or has had) Knology to tell you more from that perspective.

As for your commute, I don't think that's a bad route to take at all. You're far enough West getting on at Campbell Station that I don't think 40E will give you too much trouble in the morning.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

101stDad
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:46 EDT »

Agree with CO - avoid Knology at all costs.  Of course, I'm no Comcast fan, either.  They are the devil primarily because of piss poor customer service, and especially in the Knoxville offices, which aren't accessable to anybody living North, South, or West, and once you get there plan on being there for a while.  I left Comcast and went with Dish Network about 2 years ago and am happy with them.  I use our local phone company (Frontier) for internet via DSL.  I had Comcast HSI before, and I find the DSL just as fast as Comcast was, and have had no internet issues with my DSL. 

You'll have major traffic issues through the Farragut school zones, and especially through the primary school zone on Campbell Station Road.  Just be sure to give yourself extra time in the morning.   

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:29:03 EDT »

Welcome to God's country.

I wouldn't worry about traffic too much. After you drop the young'un off at school you can either hit I-40 to work or if there's too much traffic/a crash you can skip right by it several ways on back roads.

Comcast cable is satisfactory as long as you have no customer service issues.

When you get settled and look to set-up a Doc for you and the Mrs., I'd try to get in with Dr. Jerome McKenzie, internist, at Summitt medical group. His office is off Sherrill Blvd and you never wait more than 10-15 minutes before you are talking with him.

I lived in that part of town for 15 years and everything is so convenient. There's a new Kroger store 5 minutes west of you and I swear you can buy living room and office furniture in there! Excellent produce section. And, there are a ton of restaurants near your place; good ones, too.

Be sure and come by Emeril's tailgates on game days. You don't have to go to the games to enjoy some good food and good company. Since I've had problems with my feet the last few years I don't walk down to the games anymore, but I do eat well on game days! Jack has the dish & big-screen for early games and we have been known to imbibe early in the day. Just ask BDV.

Again, welcome to town and if you need some info, there's plenty of us "in-town" folks here on the board.

GreggO
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:47 EDT »

....at least for the first 10-12 months.  Wife and I got a rental in the Farragut area, not too far from Kingston Pike and right behind the Wal-Mart in Turkey Creek shopping area.  And speaking of that shopping area, my wife's eyes lit up with all the shopping there and in that whole area.  We currently have to drive 45 minutes to any good shopping. It will now be a 5-10 minute drive.

Driving down on the 31st, with the movers getting there on either the 1st or 2nd. West Knoxville....here we come.

And did you know that the Farragut primary school has 17 Kindergarten classes? 17!  Wow.

Oh, and BTV, we want to put in an order of steak sammiches when we crash your place once we are settled in. 

I think I will feel insulted since you did not order any food from the Best Dang Tailgate Crew not on Campus.....

Welcome to Knoxvegas and the best place to live on God's Green Earth....East Tennessee.  You will love the Early Fall and the October color and the wonderful area that we have here.  I can truthfully say that this is the place I want to be for the next fifty years of my life (yes I am gonna live to 100 and will be tailgating when I am 99.) 

As to Knology there have been some "issues" with them and the City/County of Knoxville/Knox.  Primarily it is due to some slow build out of Knology services.  Overall I would rank Comcast and Knology about the same for cable...overpriced and customer service of the "great sucking hole in the ground" variety.  I would go with DirecTV since it is the better satellite service than Dish since it has more full time HD channels and a better customer service experience as ranked by JD Powers.  I know that is heresy to some since Charlie Ergin is from Oak Ridge, TN, but I have had DirecTV for almost 14 years now and I can truthfully say it is the best. 

But go with Cable internet since it is the better speed and you will get download rates far above DSL.  Right now till the first part of September Comcast is offering a 39.99 rate for Internet access with a 2 year contract. 

Welcome to the area and if you need anything from a person that is plugged in to the Knoxville area I can direct you to some good people through some of my contacts. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:39 EDT »

Not at all, West Knoxville is great, especially all the Orange you see everywhere. I would not mind retiring there in about 20 years.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 02:16:33 EDT »

Well, I'm hopelessly country. I refuse to live anywhere I can't pee off my back porch in the comfort of privacy. But if I were going to live smack-dab in the middle of  the city, you can't go wrong with that area.
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:47:42 EDT »

Welcome to the area and if you need anything from a person that is plugged in to the Knoxville area I can direct you to some good people through some of my contacts. 

Thanks, Emeril. And thanks Gregg-O for the offers.  It is always an adventure moving to a new area.  I think our shopping around will be only for internet service as we will most likely stick with Dish for TV (we were with DirecTV until mid-2010). 

As for the tailgate food, maybe I can place an order with the tailgate crew while we move in.  It is going to be too hectic to cook anyway. Or at least maybe offer some good suggestions in the area that aren't chains. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: