VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 05:05:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just finished the replay  (Read 5273 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:56:26 EDT »

I feel better about the defense after watching. The long TD was a busted tackle by Vereen. That's fixable. Their 2nd TD was set up by a criminal pass interference penalty. The third TD we created with the Neal fumble and then the receiver bobbled the ball anyway. I thought Wilcox made good adjustments. The DL is playing much better than I had hoped. Malik is a beast. Cincy had really good offensive talent and a tricky system to defend.

Bray is a different player than last year and you'd be hard pressed to convince me that anybody in America has a better WR tandem than UT.

To beat UF we have to eliminate the fumbles and the penalties. I'm not as worried about the running game as I was ... Still not great but there was progress. But in the Swamp those fumbles and penalties will make the difference in the game. Playing there will be tough. But we have a good chance of winning the game IMO.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:09:43 EDT »

To beat UF we have to eliminate the fumbles and the penalties. I'm not as worried about the running game as I was ... Still not great but there was progress. But in the Swamp those fumbles and penalties will make the difference in the game. Playing there will be tough. But we have a good chance of winning the game IMO.

UF's defense is going to press Bray and the WRs much harder than they have been so far, but if they can limit mistakes I think we can score on UF enough to win. But I do think the chances of making a few turnovers go up considerably going on the road against a tough D. Hopefully we can avoid that and the defense can continue to make progress. UF has some good RB/WR/athletes that we'd better not bust coverages on or fail to wrap up, or we could give up big plays.

I like our chances this year better than I have in a long time vs. UF but I think there's no doubt we're still underdogs.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:11:43 EDT »

Even though I said before the season that we had a good shot at Florida this year, realistically I think UF wins this game by at least a touchdown. Maybe a little more.

That said, I'm absolutely giddy about next Saturday. And it's been a long time since I looked forward to a UT-UF matchup with anticipation rather than dread.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 05:23:00 EDT »

I agree with both of you. No doubt playing UF is different than what we've done so far, and UF will be favored and should be. But we have playmakers and coaches I am confident in... We have a puncher's chance. I've gone from "playing at the Swamp is tough, the Gators are good, AND we suck" to "playing at the Swamp is tough and the Gators are good."

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:32:15 EDT »

I think we have a good shot at beating them this year. Florida should be the favorite and they should win. The difference is that if we get going and have a few breaks, it could be a long day for the Gators. How long has it been since we could say that?

CW
I agree with both of you. No doubt playing UF is different than what we've done so far, and UF will be favored and should be. But we have playmakers and coaches I am confident in... We have a puncher's chance. I've gone from "playing at the Swamp is tough, the Gators are good, AND we suck" to "playing at the Swamp is tough and the Gators are good."
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 05:41:10 EDT »

Here's my thinking:  There are five teams on our schedule (maybe 6, but I think UGA will be in "phone it in" mode by the time we play them) that we don't have the defense to beat straight up:  UF, Bammer, LSU, USC, and Arkansas.  But our offense is potent enough that if we just catch a break or two, and gain an extra couple possessions via turnovers, we win.  If any of those teams find themselves in an offensive shootout against us, they're going to lose.  I think that will happen in two of those games.  I can't say which two, but maybe one of them will come this week.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 06:10:00 EDT »

Many of us said we would have to win a couple shootouts to get to 8-4.

I feel better about the offense minus the run game and I am still in wait and see mode about the defense.

There cannot be a better trio of wr's and qb combo in the country than we have. We need a 3rd and 4th wr to step and the o-line to make big strides in the run game. We are going to put the pressure on our opponents offenses to score this year. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 07:14:00 EDT »

We also need to win the turnover battle vs UF. I am concerned that we're not causing many turnovers, zero vs Cincy, a team that was very turnover prone last year.

UF - I just don't know how good they are. Good defense I am sure, but can't tell by whom they have played as to how good. Their offense will have some issues with our defense too.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 07:15:33 EDT »

We also need to win the turnover battle vs UF. I am concerned that we're not causing many turnovers, zero vs Cincy, a team that was very turnover prone last year.

UF - I just don't know how good they are. Good defense I am sure, but can't tell by whom they have played as to how good. Their offense will have some issues with our defense too.

http://mudlizard.com/swamp/display.pl?page=1&thrd=1&mess=2046063&full=1

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 08:16:39 EDT »

Something about yesterday's game gave me a little more optimism about the future. We still have some growing up to do, and we may take some lumps this year. But I believe we will be more competitive, and may score an upset or two.
XHotlanta
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 09:12:51 EDT »

There cannot be a better trio of wr's and qb combo in the country than we have.

Amen ... and how L-O-N-G it has been since we could say that!  This UT offense is enjoyable to watch.   Just wish we had a "dad-gummed"  running game ... but these big young O-linemen will give that to us next season (or two). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: