VTTW Board Index
June 26, 2024, 10:27:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did we punt?  (Read 9539 times)
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:01:15 EDT »

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:19 EDT »

How dare you question the best coach in the country.

CW
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:22:41 EDT »

Comon..... It was like 4th and 17 with 8 and a half minutes to go.  A lot can happen in that amount of time.  One thing I do not agree on is that the play clock is reset when the offense gets a penalty.  Then they get to run 30 more seconds off the clock.  Theoretically a team could use up the entire game clock by jumping offsides.  This is wrong and punishes the defense for an offensive penalty.

I posted this in the wrong thread.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:33:21 EDT »

because it was the correct call, given down and distance and time left.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:34:49 EDT »

Needed a better call on 3rd down IMO.  Acknowldege that it's 4-down territory, settle for less than 17, and then 4th is managable.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:37:15 EDT »

Needed a better call on 3rd down IMO.  Acknowldege that it's 4-down territory, settle for less than 17, and then 4th is managable.
I agree, and that was probably the plan but the execution left a bit to be desired

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 05:50:04 EDT »

Don't let the color guy color your opinion of play calls. He thought it was ludicrous we punted in that situation, but I find it ludicrous he was hired by ESPN.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 05:51:22 EDT »

Don't let the color guy color your opinion of play calls. He thought it was ludicrous we punted in that situation, but I find it ludicrous he was hired by ESPN.
Apparently the color guy received no education when he was at Washington

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 03:46:12 EDT »

because it was the correct call, given down and distance and time left.

Why was it the right call?   We netted about 25 yards on the punt, which was predictable.  When we punted the ball we basically waved the white flag. The chances of converting the 4th down were remote, I will agree, but the chances of winning the game after we punted were miniscule.
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 04:29:43 EDT »

That's right. If losing by a td was the goal, it was the right call.

CW

Why was it the right call?   We netted about 25 yards on the punt, which was predictable.  When we punted the ball we basically waved the white flag. The chances of converting the 4th down were remote, I will agree, but the chances of winning the game after we punted were miniscule.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 04:41:48 EDT »

With over 8 minutes left? I do not agree. NOT punting in that situation sends the message of panic and desperation. Way too much time left with being down two scores to not punt.
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 04:52:03 EDT »

With over 8 minutes left? I do not agree. NOT punting in that situation sends the message of panic and desperation. Way too much time left with being down two scores to not punt.

We were desparate. We were down by 14 points in the middle of the 4th quarter in a game, that to that point we had only managed 2 FG's.  I'm pretty sure that we had not held GA to a single 3 and out.  8 minutes is not too much  time in a game that we had scored only 6 points in 52 minutes.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 05:07:19 EDT »

We were desparate. We were down by 14 points in the middle of the 4th quarter in a game, that to that point we had only managed 2 FG's.  I'm pretty sure that we had not held GA to a single 3 and out.  8 minutes is not too much  time in a game that we had scored only 6 points in 52 minutes.
You may have been desperate, but the people who counted were not and scheming to give us the best chance to win. 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:36 EDT »

You may have been desperate, but the people who counted were not and scheming to give us the best chance to win. 

How many here think Spurrier would have punted, how about Urban? Hell I bet Saban goes for it.  When we punted we were conceding defeat.  We had almost no chance before the punt, we had zero chance afterward.
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 05:16:55 EDT »

Right on.

How many here think Spurrier would have punted, how about Urban? Hell I bet Saban goes for it.  When we punted we were conceding defeat.  We had almost no chance before the punt, we had zero chance afterward.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 05:25:49 EDT »

BULL shizzle!  We had a chance, period, dot.
As for what other coaches may or may not have done, is not revelant.  BTW, SOS PUNTED on 4th and 2 in a similar situation last week.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 06:48:27 EDT »

You have to play the odds. Spurrier, Meyer and Saban would have all punted in that situation. If I were coach, I would have gone for it. But this was big-boy football, not EA NCAA 12...and that's why I (nor anyone else criticizing Dooley's decision not to go for it) am not coaching.

If it were 4th and manageable, maybe. But 4th and long? No way. The chances of converting that 4th down are almost nil. You have to punt, hold them to a 3-and-out, then get the ball back with good field position. It worked. OTOH, if you go for it and fail, which you probably will, not only will it open up more plays for Georgia (they aren't going to be as conservative as they are deep in their own territory) but even if you do hold them to a 3-and-out, you're going to get the ball needing to go much further to score.

In that situation, I thought it was a no-brainer to punt.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 08:21:40 EDT »

You have to play the odds. Spurrier, Meyer and Saban would have all punted in that situation. If I were coach, I would have gone for it. But this was big-boy football, not EA NCAA 12...and that's why I (nor anyone else criticizing Dooley's decision not to go for it) am not coaching.

If it were 4th and manageable, maybe. But 4th and long? No way. The chances of converting that 4th down are almost nil. You have to punt, hold them to a 3-and-out, then get the ball back with good field position. It worked. OTOH, if you go for it and fail, which you probably will, not only will it open up more plays for Georgia (they aren't going to be as conservative as they are deep in their own territory) but even if you do hold them to a 3-and-out, you're going to get the ball needing to go much further to score.

In that situation, I thought it was a no-brainer to punt.

Exactamundo
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 08:31:47 EDT »

I think the odds are better for converting a 4th and 16  with 8 minutes on the clock and scoring, holding them and scoring again than punting, letting them run off 3-4 minutes, scoring, converting an onside kick and then scoring again.

Seriously, what's more likely, converting a 4th and 16 or converting an onside kick that is not a surprise?

If everything breaks our way in both scenarios, which it would have to to win in either case, you are looking at more time on the clock for a final go ahead drive under the going for it on 4th and 16 scenario than the other.

Like I said in another post, either scenario is crap and wishful thinking at best but going for it at that stage of the game gives you a better shot at winning if everything goes right. Everything would have to go right under the other as well.
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 09:05:42 EDT »

I think the odds are better for converting a 4th and 16  with 8 minutes on the clock and scoring, holding them and scoring again than punting, letting them run off 3-4 minutes, scoring, converting an onside kick and then scoring again.

Seriously, what's more likely, converting a 4th and 16 or converting an onside kick that is not a surprise?

If everything breaks our way in both scenarios, which it would have to to win in either case, you are looking at more time on the clock for a final go ahead drive under the going for it on 4th and 16 scenario than the other.

Like I said in another post, either scenario is crap and wishful thinking at best but going for it at that stage of the game gives you a better shot at winning if everything goes right. Everything would have to go right under the other as well.

I agree.  We weren't going to win either way.  I didn't like it because IMO, punting meant we quit.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 12:27:46 EDT »

What you want to do is, put the quote tags around only the text of the post you are referring to... not your post along with it.  Sigh, noobs.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 12:40:25 EDT »

What you want to do is, put the quote tags around only the text of the post you are referring to... not your post along with it.  Sigh, noobs.

It was an ipad malfunction.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 12:55:36 EDT »

It was an ipad malfunction.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 02:43:23 EDT »

Learn to shut your stupid face.
Pages: [1]   Go Up