VTTW Board Index
June 26, 2024, 11:23:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the 1st time ever I am not excited about UT football.  (Read 3599 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2011, 04:20:02 EDT »

I want to be and I try to be and I still cheer for the Vols but I am not excited anymore. Maybe its my age and having so much on my plate now or maybe not but I just dont have that spark.   

I am not a fair weather fan but I need something good to happen. Year after year after year after year of one problem then another and the downward spiral has just gotten the best of me right now. I had hopes we were turning the corner and I think we are better at some things this year but we are worse at others. I feel like I am watching Vandy or Kentucky play in UT uniforms and its depressing.

I like Dooley, I like our players but I don't like how I feel about it and I know what will fix it but I know that is not coming this year. I still think it is coming though. We are an injury away (qb) from finishing below .500 and still may without that injury.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:21:49 EDT »

I'm disappointed about injuries, but think better days are ahead. Here's why.

1) The offense will be as good or better at every position next year. We'll lose Rivera, but Clear and Downs should step up there. Everyone else will have more experience and depth will be better. Three years ago we were starting two walk-ons on the OL.

2) The defense still needs another couple of years to be really good, but it should be marginally better. Jackson will be a big loss, but we're headed in the right direction.

As far as this year is concerned I look forward to some new guys getting meaningful snaps. Prior to the season if you'd told me we'd lose Hunter, Bray and Janzen Jackson I would have said 6-6 is iffy. That's where we are, but we have a shot. If get to the Music City Bowl I'll consider it a success. That won't be acceptable in 2013, but we are where we are. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:29:24 EDT »

I'm disappointed about injuries, but think better days are ahead. Here's why.

1) The offense will be as good or better at every position next year. We'll lose Rivera, but Clear and Downs should step up there. Everyone else will have more experience and depth will be better. Three years ago we were starting two walk-ons on the OL.

2) The defense still needs another couple of years to be really good, but it should be marginally better. Jackson will be a big loss, but we're headed in the right direction.

As far as this year is concerned I look forward to some new guys getting meaningful snaps. Prior to the season if you'd told me we'd lose Hunter, Bray and Janzen Jackson I would have said 6-6 is iffy. That's where we are, but we have a shot. If get to the Music City Bowl I'll consider it a success. That won't be acceptable in 2013, but we are where we are. 

we don't lose Rivera, he is a junior this year
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:08:39 EDT »

Murf I agree with all you said. However this is part of my problem.

Three years ago we were starting two walk-ons on the OL.

We ran the ball better then than we do now. No doubt we had a better rb and maybe that is most of the problem but I don't think so.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:20:07 EDT »

I think part of the problem is the nature of our offense.  Due to the pass-oriented nature of our offense we take large sacks and that wipes out some rushing yards.  Also we simply don't run the ball that much.  Sometimes more reps can get an offense in a rhythm.

But yeah, we still suck even with the above, but it might make it look worse than it is.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:23:25 EDT »

We also had two seniors on the offensive line last year. That makes a huge difference.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:25:16 EDT »

I didn't realize Rivera is a junior. That's great news. As far as the running game goes I am concerned by it, but at least our pass blocking is pretty solid.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: