VTTW Board Index
June 29, 2024, 05:10:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dooley gets a pass from me this year  (Read 7692 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:25:48 EDT »

I have not been happy with some of the coaching, especially OL, DBs...and I continue to see things like communication issues that should not be happening now, but I will give him a pass because he did lose major playmakers on offense, and I have seen some improvements in areas like special teams and DL/LB play this year.

He won't get that pass next year. IF we have Bray, Hunter, Lathers healthy next year, we should be humming on offense. He HAS to figure out how to get the running game going, you CANNOT win in the SEC with the paltry run game we have had this year. There will be no excuse on the OL, it will essentially be a fairly experienced and deep OL. The running backs will have to be Lane and maybe a freshman or two. Devrin Young needs to be more a part of the offense, he can make plays. Defensively, we should be deeper on the DL, but again, you CANNOT be as horrible at pressuring the QB in this league as we have been. We need some infusion of talent on the DEs. I am hoping to add a guy like Autry and maybe Hamilton to boost the DE pass rush. Couch has played well all year and I expect him to be a major force at DT for us next year. We need J. Smith to start playing to his potential or he should lose his starting role to someone that can be effective.

The bottom line is that next year the coaches are not really going to have the we're young excuse. We won't be that young. I don't think we will be good enough to compete for the SEC next year, but we should at least win 8-9 games. If we continue to looks like we have looked this year, then I will have to seriously doubt if Dooley can get it done. In the meantime I will continue to think positively about his ability to get it done - and I really really WANT him to get it done, because I like him, and I think he has integrity and character and does things the right way. His hard work will eventually pay off.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 02:30:23 EDT »

Exactly where I am.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 03:03:57 EDT »

Did you read Chad Cliftons posts on Volnation?  he said lack of a running game is not Heistands fault.   Clifton said Harry is one of the best in the business period, and we would be crazy to run him off.  Here is one quote:

The Head COACH and OC determines what kind of Scheme that he supposed to be teaching the OLINE. Its not the other way around. Do your research before you blame it on Harry.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:04:21 EDT »

Well said, 'Nut.
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 03:09:26 EDT »

More from Clifton:

Oh one more thing. Ask yourself this. Why is it that Most OLine coaches in the league stay with the same team for LONG periods of time? Because teaching a Lineman isnt that hard as long as they listen. But its the HC & OC decision to let the position coach know which style that the team is going to run. If your a finesse team, then you more than likely will run a Zone blocking style with a passing game based on Timing. A Hole scheme, and no since in looking it up on wikipedia, is for a smash run team with play action and good TE's. Like I said about INDY, they use a Zone that is made for timing passes, look at their winning % rite now, not too good is it? Now, look at a team, UMM like the Pack, we run the ball and throw it all around. we use a combo of Zone and Hole schemes. Watch when Indy's Olinman run block, they stand up, guess just like who. THE VOLS.

So, just to end my RANT, please Vols, if you dont know what your talking about then dont bash a guy that doesnt deserve it. The man is as hard of a worker that you will ever find. He was one of the BEST olineman coaches that has ever coached football. Coached PRO-BOWLERS. So, if you say that hes garbage like Ive seen on older post, then your not really that intelligent. Just wish that people would stay off harry A**, no wonder hes pissed, hes tired of the blame getting pushed onto the positions coaches by Fans that dont really understand the whole situation that goes on, behind the scenes. So, Please guys cut harry some slack, because your not going to get a better O line coach. Not gonna happen.
TheRealOrange
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:18:55 EDT »

Did you read Chad Cliftons posts on Volnation?  he said lack of a running game is not Heistands fault.   Clifton said Harry is one of the best in the business period, and we would be crazy to run him off.  Here is one quote: "The Head COACH and OC determines what kind of Scheme that he supposed to be teaching the OLINE. Its not the other way around. Do your research before you blame it on Harry."

Interesting.  So, if the Head Coach and OC determine the scheme to teach, and the Offensive Line Coach is not getting that teaching job done, who gets the blame?  Obviously, they all share blame, but his job is to teach the offensive line how to properly carry out the scheme.  So, is the scheme to blame or is it the players' lack of ability to carry it out effectively due to poor teaching/coaching?  Clifton should know that it's not an either/or answer, and I'm sure other "experts" would disagree with him.  It's more than likely a combination of the two, and that will change only with time and learning the root causes.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:21:17 EDT »

Did you read Chad Cliftons posts on Volnation?  he said lack of a running game is not Heistands fault.   Clifton said Harry is one of the best in the business period, and we would be crazy to run him off.  Here is one quote:

That's all well and good meister, but the proof will be in the pudding. It doesn't matter what Clifton says or what Hiestnad has done before, his OL has to produce on the field, does it not?
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 03:23:48 EDT »

He is right. We don't understand the game from the inside. Let me add though if they won't give us this type of info then don't be pissed at us for drawing conclusions from what we see.

I agree with the general tome of the thread though. We need to show improvement next year or Dooley will be on the hot seat. Not because we won't win the east but if guys don't start lining up right or show a little mental toughness I will be severely disappointed.
TheRealOrange
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:25:45 EDT »

More from Clifton:

Oh one more thing. Ask yourself this. Why is it that Most OLine coaches in the league stay with the same team for LONG periods of time? Because teaching a Lineman isnt that hard as long as they listen. But its the HC & OC decision to let the position coach know which style that the team is going to run. If your a finesse team, then you more than likely will run a Zone blocking style with a passing game based on Timing. A Hole scheme, and no since in looking it up on wikipedia, is for a smash run team with play action and good TE's. Like I said about INDY, they use a Zone that is made for timing passes, look at their winning % rite now, not too good is it? Now, look at a team, UMM like the Pack, we run the ball and throw it all around. we use a combo of Zone and Hole schemes. Watch when Indy's Olinman run block, they stand up, guess just like who. THE VOLS.

So, just to end my RANT, please Vols, if you dont know what your talking about then dont bash a guy that doesnt deserve it. The man is as hard of a worker that you will ever find. He was one of the BEST olineman coaches that has ever coached football. Coached PRO-BOWLERS. So, if you say that hes garbage like Ive seen on older post, then your not really that intelligent. Just wish that people would stay off harry A**, no wonder hes pissed, hes tired of the blame getting pushed onto the positions coaches by Fans that dont really understand the whole situation that goes on, behind the scenes. So, Please guys cut harry some slack, because your not going to get a better O line coach. Not gonna happen.

LOL.  I like Clifton, but he's all over the place with that, and I think this may be a little too personal for him.    I agree with him about one thing, people should not blame any particular coach at this point.  The coaches ALL deserve time to get their systems fully developed, with players that are recruited to fit within the systems, for their work to be properly evaluated. 
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 03:29:38 EDT »

100% same spot I am, good post. I would say I fall into 100% pro Dooley camp, but I do think 2012 is benchmark season. I still go back to the day CDD was hired I wanted culture change and a stable environment for our football program, and then to win games. I still think CDD has created the atmosphere around the program I wanted to see, but winning has to come sooner than later.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:33:16 EDT »

Interesting.  So, if the Head Coach and OC determine the scheme to teach, and the Offensive Line Coach is not getting that teaching job done, who gets the blame?  Obviously, they all share blame, but his job is to teach the offensive line how to properly carry out the scheme.  So, is the scheme to blame or is it the players' lack of ability to carry it out effectively due to poor teaching/coaching?  Clifton should know that it's not an either/or answer, and I'm sure other "experts" would disagree with him.  It's more than likely a combination of the two, and that will change only with time and learning the root causes.

It seems to me that Clifton is blaming the scheme itself.  The point being, no matter how well you teach it and how well executed it is, if the scheme is not appropriate in all situations, it will fail. 

You can choose to disagree with the point, but that is what he is saying IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 04:00:39 EDT »

That's all well and good meister, but the proof will be in the pudding. It doesn't matter what Clifton says or what Hiestnad has done before, his OL has to produce on the field, does it not?

Yep, and if it doesn't, the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. BTW, has there ever been a team that turned around after a coach fired some assistants due to pressure from outside? 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 03:41:48 EDT »

If Tennessee's recruiting doesn't improve and Their record doesn't get better in 2012. I'll be standing with the Folks wanting Him to be fired

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:09:39 EDT »

If Tennessee's recruiting doesn't improve and Their record doesn't get better in 2012. I'll be standing with the Folks wanting Him to be fired
So exactly what is wrong with recruiting?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 01:40:41 EDT »

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but recruiting, imo, has been phenomenal. 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 05:53:46 EDT »

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but recruiting, imo, has been phenomenal. 

I'm not a troll

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 09:28:10 EDT »

Recruiting has been good on paper and Dooley recruits are the best players on the team right now. I'm good with recruiting. We just need another two years of it.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:53:22 EDT »

Dooley's likely going to finish with a top 10 class this year. That isn't too shabby for a team that will likely finish 6-6 or 5-7 this year and has not won a championship in 13 years.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 04:09:48 EDT »

Dooley's likely going to finish with a top 10 class this year. That isn't too shabby for a team that will likely finish 6-6 or 5-7 this year and has not won a championship in 13 years.

Agree and it's hopeful for the future.  We should expect 8-9 wins next season and SEC contention in 2013.  Anything less is unacceptable.

But for now, I will settle for beating the fool out of vandy.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:48 EDT »

Dooley still needs 3 more years. A lot of these real good SEC teams have a bunch of 5th,4th and 3rd year players playing key roles. Most of UT's players playing key roles are true freshmen and true sophomores. You have 18 and 19 year old young men going up against 23,22,21 year old men. Those guys for other teams have guys that are much bigger and stronger than our guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: