VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 02:47:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How good is this TV?  (Read 6455 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:38:13 EST »

http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/m550nv-ca.html

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:40:32 EST »

Vizio makes good sets. They are not Samsungs or Sharp Aquos, but they are solid. I have a Vizio LCD and it's a good TV. The picture is better on my LG plasma though.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 04:48:21 EST »

What is the difference between LCD, LED and Plasma?  I know I need 1080p (whatever that is) but the other baffles me.
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 05:24:03 EST »

Plasma gives the best picture hands down if you can control the lighting.  Reflection off the glass front is the biggest problem for plasma sets. 

Now if you're an environmental nutcase, then you will probably want LED or LCD because they uses less power than the plasma.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:05:18 EST »

You'll never get a difinitive answer on LCD vs Plasma.  I prefer LCD, but others swear by Plasma.  My understanding of LED is it's ultra-thin profile.  LCD's and Plasma's both have advantages and disadvantages, based on the setting it will be used in and one's usage habits.  You just need to read up on "plasma vs. Lcd" and decide which fits your situation.  While I prefer LCD, if I was shopping and found a Plasma on a good deal I would bite.

My parents own a 50" Vizio LCD, got it last Christmas, and they love it.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 06:13:04 EST »

Now if you're an environmental nutcase, then you will probably want LED or LCD because they uses less power than the plasma.

Or someone who wants to save a few dimes here and there on power . . . or someone who doesn't see the need in wasting energy when he doesn't have to . . . I don't think one has to be a "nutcase" to decide that using less energy is better.

Someone may also be concerned about the longevity of their TV or its fragility in shipping. Someone may also feel better about buying technology with a longer track record.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 06:45:58 EST »

What is the difference between LCD, LED and Plasma?  I know I need 1080p (whatever that is) but the other baffles me.

You don't need 1080P unless the TV set is larger than 42"

LCD = Liquid Crystal display - Actually an older technology back from the 60s. They are basically in the middle of filters and glass panels.They are are actually molecules that flow like  a liquid, and bend light like a crystal.

Plasma = Think the flourescent lightbulb. Similar technology based on Neon-Xenon gas. Uses more energy, but probably the truest blacks and sharpest contrasts

LED = Light Emitting Diode - These are used as backlighting instead of lamps. These are really still LCDs as far as the display is concerned, but they use LEDs for backlighting, and that provides better contrasts and uses less energy.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:56:47 EST »

You don't need 1080P unless the TV set is larger than 42"

LCD = Liquid Crystal display - Actually an older technology back from the 60s. They are basically in the middle of filters and glass panels.They are are actually molecules that flow like  a liquid, and bend light like a crystal.

Plasma = Think the flourescent lightbulb. Similar technology based on Neon-Xenon gas. Uses more energy, but probably the truest blacks and sharpest contrasts

LED = Light Emitting Diode - These are used as backlighting instead of lamps. These are really still LCDs as far as the display is concerned, but they use LEDs for backlighting, and that provides better contrasts and uses less energy.

Good explanation of the technology.

Plasma also puts off a lot more heat.

LED TVs look better than LCD TVs to me.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 08:16:38 EST »

Plasma absolutely has the best picture of all the flatscreen technologies.  They have the truest coloring, they're the ONLY ones than can render a true black, they have a 180 degree viewing angle without losing contrast, and they're much better with motion.  And they're usually a lot cheaper than a similar sized LED.  Unfortunately, they're also susceptible to burn-in.  So if you watch a lot channels with a constant graphic or crawler on the screen (such as ESPN or CNN) or play a lot of video games with constant scores, maps, etc. in the corner, it may stay there permanently if you're not careful.  That's why I got an LCD.  But all else being equal, I'd definitely go with plasma.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:24:07 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:51:51 EST »

Thanks for the help.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 01:50:12 EST »

Stay away from Vizio because they do repair TVs after warranty expires.  If your Vizio stops working or has a problem, they may or may not replace it with a new one.  Since Vizio only sells TVs and has zero repair parts, you are rolling the dice to buy one.  If it is going to be the main big screen you have, go with a Samsung, Panasonic, etc.  No off-brands.
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 01:55:31 EST »

Did not mean to offend anyone.  I left off the smiley face.
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 02:59:50 EST »

I have 3 of them and have had 0 problems! I like them!

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 03:23:38 EST »

I just bought this one a couple days ago...I LOVE IT!!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771855000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=Flat+Panel&keyword=flat+panel&filter=storeOrigin%7CSears&sale=true&autoRedirect=false
Barbivol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 10:09:53 EST »

I just got this one for my son and his family for Christmas...I hope they like it...did I choose ok?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05718933000P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: