VTTW Board Index
June 05, 2024, 12:06:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am still with Dooley  (Read 5535 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 04:04:39 EST »

mainly because firing him now would be a bigger disaster than keeping him.... we need to get a good recruiting class in. However...

He needs to get rid of some coaches. Our OL sucked all year. Our RBs sucked. Our special teams is a clown show. Our offensive play calling....

Hire someone who will commit to a running game, and commit an OL to running the ball. You don't win games in the SEC with the p**** **** we are running on offense.

Defense has been getting better and I like what Wilcox is doing.

Dools has to show major improvement next year, and I don't see it happening with this same staff in place
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:09:28 EST »

mainly because firing him now would be a bigger disaster than keeping him.... we need to get a good recruiting class in. However...

He needs to get rid of some coaches. Our OL sucked all year. Our RBs sucked. Our special teams is a clown show. Our offensive play calling....

Hire someone who will commit to a running game, and commit an OL to running the ball. You don't win games in the SEC with the p**** **** we are running on offense.

Defense has been getting better and I like what Wilcox is doing.

Dools has to show major improvement next year, and I don't see it happening with this same staff in place
We are close
http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=22465.0

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:41:08 EST »

I think that's pretty much where I am. He gets recruiting and the D doesn't worry me at the moment. If he makes good changes to the offensive staff next year can be a very nice year.

If it's not the program is in fairly good shape to lure a quality coach.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
SportoVOL
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:49:49 EST »

I never have posted here before, but I always read this board as the comments here are much more in control and sane than the others, like KNS.  With that said, and I realize this is only my opinion, I agree with the feelings expressed here on this thread.  I am sick of coaching changes.  The D is starting to get better, injuries have hurt in the backfield.  The front 7 on D is turning the corner and I believe starting to become solid.  Offensive line needs a LOT of work.  Pass blocking, which had been acceptable, was horrible today.  Run blocking, well, we have none.  If we return Bray, Rogers and Hunter healthy and motivated, we are good in the passing game.  We do need a RB that can break a tackle and be a good 1st and 2nd down back.  Lane is fine as a 3rd down back.  We need a punter and placekicker.  Overall, I just hope this is truly rock bottom.  Not sure how much more I can take.  At least this "season" is over with. 

However, with all that said, I will also continue to donate and buy my season tickets.  God help me, I'm a Vol. 
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:54:53 EST »

I never have posted here before, but I always read this board as the comments here are much more in control and sane than the others, like KNS.  With that said, and I realize this is only my opinion, I agree with the feelings expressed here on this thread.  I am sick of coaching changes.  The D is starting to get better, injuries have hurt in the backfield.  The front 7 on D is turning the corner and I believe starting to become solid.  Offensive line needs a LOT of work.  Pass blocking, which had been acceptable, was horrible today.  Run blocking, well, we have none.  If we return Bray, Rogers and Hunter healthy and motivated, we are good in the passing game.  We do need a RB that can break a tackle and be a good 1st and 2nd down back.  Lane is fine as a 3rd down back.  We need a punter and placekicker.  Overall, I just hope this is truly rock bottom.  Not sure how much more I can take.  At least this "season" is over with. 

However, with all that said, I will also continue to donate and buy my season tickets.  God help me, I'm a Vol. 

Great first post1
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:04:37 EST »

While I agree Dooley SHOULD stay one more year for stability's sake, I'd like to know if you all still think Dooley is THE guy that can bring us back?

I do not.  I think we get another one or two of his recruiting classes to shore things up and he'll be sent packing.  He's shown me this year that he's lacking in the gameday preparation, motivation, and in-game adjustment dept., and stuff like that should be a given for an SEC head coach.  The SEC is not a forgiving training ground where a guy can slowly warm up to what it takes to be a HC.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:15:36 EST »

While I agree Dooley SHOULD stay one more year for stability's sake, I'd like to know if you all still think Dooley is THE guy that can bring us back?

I do not.  I think we get another one or two of his recruiting classes to shore things up and he'll be sent packing.  He's shown me this year that he's lacking in the gameday preparation, motivation, and in-game adjustment dept., and stuff like that should be a given for an SEC head coach.  The SEC is not a forgiving training ground where a guy can slowly warm up to what it takes to be a HC.

I pretty much agree.  As I said earlier, given what we have coming back, and the easing up of the schedule, I think we should expect at least 9 wins next year.  But do I think we'll win 9?  No, I do not.  Not based on what we've seen this year.  But Dooley deserves the chance to prove me wrong.  However, make no mistake- he is now squarely on the hotseat.  The honeymoon is over, and I hope he realizes it.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 05:18:46 EST »

I don't know. I will admit my confidence in him has been shaken. I think he can do it provided he hires the right guys. I don't have faith in Chaney's offense working in the SEC, and our OL/RB coaches have to change. I think he could do well with the right hires, yes. No doubt he'd better do that or his seat will be very warm next year.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 05:48:44 EST »

Good thread with a lot of good posts.

I guess what pisses me off more than anything this year is the inability of this staff to "coach up" this team. We have seen UT in dire straights before, losing players to injuries and such, but they gave their all for Tennessee and this team didn't. Hell, if they lost every game but left it all on the field, I'd be prouder of the team and staff.

Dooley needs to fix that to keep my support.

G    

(Home again and not now trying to edit from my phone.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:37:58 EST by GreggO » Logged
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 06:03:10 EST »

I think Dooley can be the guy IF he's surrounded by quality assistants. Admittedly this isn't different from other coaches. Fulmer was better with Mike Barry than Jimmy Ray Stephens. Spurrier became a better coach when he hired Stoops and let him run the defense. Prior to that the Gators were not going to win a national title.

Dooley needs his best assistants in place for 2012. He doesn't get another pass. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 03:32:39 EST »

I agree after watching the VOLS this season that it was painfully obvious Dooley will not bring us back.  Did we ever come out and just look like a WELL OILED MACHINE IN ANY GAME?  YOU WOULD ATLEAST EXPECT THAT 1-2 TIMES A SEASON.  Horrible scheme, horrible preporation which leads to shizzlety execution.  I don't see any UPSIDE with him, and the orange colored glasses are off.

Go Big Orange.
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:17:08 EST »

I think Dooley can recruit and get the talent here but I don't think he is the coach that gets us to a championship.  I like him and what he seems to stand for within the program overall.  However, with him, there always seems to be a bad bounce or run of luck against us.  I sometimes watch this team expecting a bad break.  He lacks something in his coaching that prevents the team from executing with confidence.  Some coaches have it and others do not. 
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33:06 EST »

I have been and remain in his corner, I still think he is the man for the job.  BUT, his career at Tennessee comes down to this off season.  He has to turn it around now, there is no tomorrow (tomorrow being beyond next year).  It is one thing to struggle because of talent and depth.  It is entirely another to struggle because of lack of motivation, lack of effort, lack of pride, lack of fundamentals, lack of discipline, lack of management, lack of organization, lack of mental toughness  Those "lacks" are why we had the season we did, and those "lacks" belong to the coaches.  Dooley has to own it, and he has to turn it around--now, this off season, this spring, this fall.  I still think he is the man, time to find out how much of a man.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 05:59:33 EST »

I have been and remain in his corner, I still think he is the man for the job.  BUT, his career at Tennessee comes down to this off season.  He has to turn it around now, there is no tomorrow (tomorrow being beyond next year).  It is one thing to struggle because of talent and depth.  It is entirely another to struggle because of lack of motivation, lack of effort, lack of pride, lack of fundamentals, lack of discipline, lack of management, lack of organization, lack of mental toughness  Those "lacks" are why we had the season we did, and those "lacks" belong to the coaches.  Dooley has to own it, and he has to turn it around--now, this off season, this spring, this fall.  I still think he is the man, time to find out how much of a man.
Dooley has hit the bottom of the adult swim pool,he will either spring up and tred water and find his way to the diving board and nail the landing next season or he will be face down in the kiddie pool..There aint no life guards on duty anymore!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:01:10 EST by crockettman » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: