VTTW Board Index
June 08, 2024, 04:27:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One posters opinion - Special Teams (3rd in a series)  (Read 1573 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:19:46 EST »

Special Teams:
The special teams were indeed riding the short bus this year.  The only area that was effective was kick coverage.  We had only one breakdown in coverage and we had that punt return well covered, just failed to execute (several) tackles.

Kicking game:
I do not know what the answer is but it isn’t Palardy.  EPs are an adventure for him and field goals?  Forget about it.  Kickoffs were good early and degenerated into farces late.  We need an SEC level kicker in the worst way.

Punting:
Darr isn’t the answer.  He usually gets good hang time but he >95% hits a tail dragger that gets no real distance and all too often hits a poor punt, usually when we need a good booming punt to help get us out of a hole.  I can’t really think of a time this year where the punting game swapped field position FOR us.  We need an SEC level punter.  Interestingly, Palardy could be that punter if he was allowed to concentrate on punting if we got another place kicker.

Returns:
Young started out well and seemed to be coached into being overly conservative.  He lost that punch as a returner.  By the end of the year we essentially had no return game.

Coverage:
The one bright spot.  Lane discipline was very good this year, one area of clear improvement.  Even the punt return for a TD by the Hawgs we covered well, just didn’t tackle. 

Coaching:
Dooley needs to go all in and coach special teams full time and Russell needs to go somewhere else.  We flat SUCK at special teams and that is not acceptable.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:34:10 EST »

Once again brother, I enjoyed the read a lot! "Riding the short bus....", I got that one!     

G     

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: