VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 01:16:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saban voted Stanford ahead of Oklahoma State.......  (Read 6312 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:27:50 EST »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-final-coaches-ballots/51647436/1

Let's face it. There is no honor involved in any of this.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:41:36 EST »

If Saban did do the honorable thing, I would be more surprised.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:42:11 EST »

David Cutcliff did as well!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:00:00 EST »

of course...when you base championships and big money on coaches votes, why would they not. I'd hope my coach would do whatever it takes to give UT the edge in the votes. I don't blame Saban.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:44:21 EST »

Unless, of course, Saban just thinks Stanford is better than OklaSt.

Folks keep forgetting that this OklaSt team lost to a 6-6 team just two weeks ago.

I hardly see how voting Oklahoma State 4th instead of 3rd is dishonorable.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:27:48 EST »

There were only 6 coaches that did not vote OK St. #3.

Cutcliffe-Bama fan
Pinkel, Mo. coach-headed to SEC and probably no fan of OK St.
David Shaw, Stanford coach- his vote for Stanford over OK St. is understandable.
Saban-Has vested interest

Also Calhoun of Air Force and Marrone of Syracuse.

Voting for your team over another team in order to better your chances of getting in the BCS Championship game is understandable. Not necessarily honest, but understandable. Voting for another team over the team that might pass you in the BCS ratings carries a perception of shenanigans.

This one has the stink of shenanigans.   

3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:34:47 EST »

Uh, do we need to review the 97 heistman vote in the same light.  Bunch of crybabies.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:38:58 EST »

Unless, of course, Saban just thinks Stanford is better than OklaSt.

Folks keep forgetting that this OklaSt team lost to a 6-6 team just two weeks ago.

I hardly see how voting Oklahoma State 4th instead of 3rd is dishonorable.

I am really surprised you admire Saban. 

How would this be any different than leaving the Dolphins in the middle of the night, because he couldn't cut the mustard in the NFL?  How would it be different than suspending a player for a game, then letting him play at the half because you're losing, (then losing anyway! LOL!).  How would it be any different than being cut thoat at running off scholarship players that don't fit your plans (even injured ones).  How would it be different than any of  the numerous scandals that have plauged bammer and not stuck since Saban has been there?

Answer...it isn't different.  He is scum.     You might as well admire a cockroach for being so efficient.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:49:27 EST »

I am really surprised you admire Saban. 

How would this be any different than leaving the Dolphins in the middle of the night, because he couldn't cut the mustard in the NFL?  How would it be different than suspending a player for a game, then letting him play at the half because you're losing, (then losing anyway! LOL!).  How would it be any different than being cut thoat at running off scholarship players that don't fit your plans (even injured ones).  How would it be different than any of  the numerous scandals that have plauged bammer and not stuck since Saban has been there?

Answer...it isn't different.  He is scum.     You might as well admire a cockroach for being so efficient.   

A few points.

1.) Saban couldn't cut it in the NFL? Maybe si, maybe no. He was there 2 years, one of which was a 9-7 season, the other a 6-10 season with the starting QB on the IR. I'll need more than 2 seasons to decide that he couldn't cut the NFL. Regardless, please explain how not being able to cut it in the NFL makes one dishonorable?

2.) Saban left the Dolphins in the middle of the night? He didn't take the Alabama job until the season was finished. That's hardly leaving in the middle of the night.

The rest of your post is purely speculation.

3.) I certainly do admire Nick Saban. I admire his brand of football and the disciplined way that his players play. But please tell me what that has to do with me saying a guy isn't being dishonorable because he voted the No. 4 team ahead of the No. 3 team. That's hardly scandalous, and I would say the same thing if it were Lane Kiffin that did it.

I'm a fan. That doesn't mean I'm supposed to be blinded by my team's colors.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:57 EST »

Bandit you may be confusing Saban with Petrino. Saban did lie about the Bama job, but he did not leave "in the middle of the night".  Petrino on the other hand....

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 10:54:55 EST »

Bandit you may be confusing Saban with Petrino. Saban did lie about the Bama job, but he did not leave "in the middle of the night".  Petrino on the other hand....

Yep.  I'll never forget the video of him calling the hogs at this intrductory presser...in the middle of the season.  At 11PM. 

Cowardly piece of shizzle.  Even Kiffin met the Knoxville press (sorta) before he left.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 10:58:12 EST »

A few points.

1.) Saban couldn't cut it in the NFL? Maybe si, maybe no. He was there 2 years, one of which was a 9-7 season, the other a 6-10 season with the starting QB on the IR. I'll need more than 2 seasons to decide that he couldn't cut the NFL. Regardless, please explain how not being able to cut it in the NFL makes one dishonorable?

2.) Saban left the Dolphins in the middle of the night? He didn't take the Alabama job until the season was finished. That's hardly leaving in the middle of the night.

The rest of your post is purely speculation.

3.) I certainly do admire Nick Saban. I admire his brand of football and the disciplined way that his players play. But please tell me what that has to do with me saying a guy isn't being dishonorable because he voted the No. 4 team ahead of the No. 3 team. That's hardly scandalous, and I would say the same thing if it were Lane Kiffin that did it.

It's not speculataion that he suspended a player for the entire game in 2007, then let him play the second half, then lost anyway to some directional Lousianna school.  I still get a good laugh out of that.

The only reason he has succeeded so well at bammer is because every year they have a top 5 recruiting class.  He has outrecruited every other coach in the country during that stretch.

During his tenure, bammer players have been in trouble for:

1.  Selling textbooks and pocketing the difference
2.  Taking a deep sea fishing trip paid for by someone else (Ingram and Julio Jones, no less)
3.  Getting inappropriate benefits from a local store in Tuscaloosa

Those are just the ones I recall off the top of my head.

None of that is speculation. I  can give links to all.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 06:09:31 EST »

Here is the link on the La-Monroe loss:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273210333

The SEC's leading receiver, DJ Hall, was suspended for a violation of team rules but played in the second half with Alabama desperately needing a spark.

I do give him credit for this statement though:

"We just did a lot of things today that is not winning football. I think we're all responsible for it. It starts with me. I don't think we had a very good week of preparation."[/i]

Quite a contrast from "I told you these were not good guys".  That statement kind of pissed me off.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 06:12:28 EST »

As for his NFL career, it's true that he did wait until the end of the season, but he denied he was going to leave and then did.  Many Dolphin fans were and are upset about it.

And the team was definitely going backwards. 

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 11:13:03 EST »

I guess I just don't have a problem with a coach denying his candidacy for a job when he's trying to finish another job. The NFL season was ongoing and his focus should've been on the Dolphins. The Alabama distraction was just that: a distraction. Besides, let's not forget that his initial denials were truthful...he really did reject the job initially.

The intense media scrutiny makes these situations pressure-cookers. If anything, I blame Alabama for going after him instead of giving the Dolphins the courtesy of waiting until the season was over. I don't blame a guy for vehemently denying in an effort to keep focus where it belonged. Now, if he had said after the season ended that the only way he wouldn't be back in Miami the following season is if he were hit by a Mack truck, then resigned a few days later, a la Kevin O'Pottymouth, I might feel differently.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 02:53:16 EST »

You're supposed to be blinded by HIS team's colors! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: