VTTW Board Index
June 07, 2024, 02:00:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another bad loss  (Read 3330 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:17:23 EST »

That was another terrible loss last night. Not nearly as bad as losing to a 1-9 AP team, but still bad. Despite the ESPN2 crew's attempts to build them up, Charleston has managed to squeak out some close wins against teams ranked 150 or worse in the RPI. Their only game against a team in the RPI top 100 was a loss. It's not a terrible team; just not as good as last year.

This Tennessee team can look really good at times, but then they go through stretches where they have absolutely zero basketball IQ. Too many guys on the court take crazy dumb shots and make crazy dumb decisions. Our post game tends to disappear at crucial times -- which I was afraid of, but I really figured that would come in SEC play.

This team has shown its potential, but unless it grows up, the SEC is going to be brutal.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:50:54 EST »

That was another terrible loss last night. Not nearly as bad as losing to a 1-9 AP team, but still bad. Despite the ESPN2 crew's attempts to build them up, Charleston has managed to squeak out some close wins against teams ranked 150 or worse in the RPI. Their only game against a team in the RPI top 100 was a loss. It's not a terrible team; just not as good as last year.

This Tennessee team can look really good at times, but then they go through stretches where they have absolutely zero basketball IQ. Too many guys on the court take crazy dumb shots and make crazy dumb decisions. Our post game tends to disappear at crucial times -- which I was afraid of, but I really figured that would come in SEC play.

This team has shown its potential, but unless it grows up, the SEC is going to be brutal.

Dwight Miller really showed out in the first half-- 13 points and 6 rebounds in 10 minutes of play. Then in the second half it was like he wasn't there . . . because he wasn't. He played one 3 minute stretch, got a rebound, and then a 20 second stretch later. 3.5 minutes. During his time on the floor in the 2nd half, we had two missed shots and two turnovers and then he went back to the bench. Sub patterns were something I never understood with Bruce Pearl and Tony Jones, and it seems I'm not going to understand them with Cuonzo either.

I think ultimately this will be a better loss than Oakland or Peay, but it stinks to have to think about which of your losses to mid- and low-major teams are the worst.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:12:58 EST »

Also, FWIW . . . if Ken Pomeroy's skills are to be trusted, and they usually are, then UNC-A (134) and ETSU (168) are in the same ballpark as Oakland (121) , Peay (183), and College of Charleston (112). The Citadel (321) and Chattanooga (259) are in the ballpark of UNC-G (293) and LA-Monroe (296).

We should win the next 4, but a loss to UNC-A and/or ETSU would not be a surprise with our performance so far. If we assume wins in all four, that puts us at 7-6 after Jan 2, with our 16 SEC games and games vs. Memphis and Connecticut remaining. If we can win 6 SEC games, which is what I was figuring before things went further south, that leaves us at around 13-18.

At this point I think being an NIT bubble team is the best case scenario, and to do that IMO we'd have to get to 16 wins. That would mean 9 wins among those final 18 games-- either an SEC winning record, a win over Memphis or UConn, or both. That's a tough task for this team.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:17:58 EST »

Agreed. I think a .500 record and NIT bid is going to be a tall task for this team at this point.

It's imperative that Tennessee win the next four. Lose to ETSU or Asheville and Cuonzo is going to lose the fan base before he even gets started. Bruce 2014?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:06:15 EST »

CO, I thought the way they played vs Memphis this would be a bubble NCAA team, but this team is not good. I agree....13-18 sounds about right.

3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:56 EST »

I guess these are home games?  Against nobody teams?  Wow.  When the real games start it's going to get pretty ugly.  What are the chances we are coach shopping again next year.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:38 EST »

I guess these are home games?  Against nobody teams?  Wow.  When the real games start it's going to get pretty ugly.  What are the chances we are coach shopping again next year.

APSU was a home game but Charleston wasn't. Neither was Oakland. For the record Bruce's team last year lost to both Charleston and Oakland at home.

Cuonzo should get at least two years IMO.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:27:58 EST »

APSU was a home game but Charleston wasn't. Neither was Oakland. For the record Bruce's team last year lost to both Charleston and Oakland at home.

Cuonzo should get at least two years IMO.

Cuonzo said last night that what the team is going through will payoff in February. I guess we will see. He definitely gets two years

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: