VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 12:17:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best steak  (Read 4628 times)
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:43:35 EST »

Where have you had the best steak you've ever had?

Plus, if anyone has been to both Longhorn Steakhouse and Ruth's Chris and ordered the same cut, which was better?
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:44:41 EST »

nm
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:55:49 EST »

As far as chains go Flemmings is far better than Morton's and Ruth's Chris. They all cost basically the same so it's apples to apples. I'm a ribeye guy with the occaisional New York Strip thrown in.

That having been said about Flemmings I think Longhorn provides the best bang for the buck. You get at least one side with your steak.

If you want to grill your own Regg's meat market in Nashville and Terry's Grocery in Gallatin are fantastic.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:24:31 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:07:57 EST »

The best rib eye I've ever had was from home, grilled on my Big Green Egg.  

I've had excellent results when ordering from Longhorn.  Haven't visited Ruth's Chris yet.

Unfortunately,  I've been a vegan/vegetarian since September.  

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:09:55 EST »

As far as chains go Flemmings is far better than Morton's and Ruth's Chris. They all cost basically the same so it's apples to apples. I'm a ribeye guy with the occaisional New York Strip thrown in.

That having been said about Flemmings I think Longhorn provides the best bang for the buck. You get at least one side with your steak.

If you want to grill your own Regg's is a great meat market in Nashville and Taylor and Taylor (something like that) in Gallatin are fantastic.

I've never been to Fleming's but I love Morton's. Ruth's Chris is overrated... Stoney River is better than Ruth's Chris.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:32:30 EST »

Longhorn is the best steak I've had, as well.

I've always wanted to try Ye Olde Steakhouse.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:00:42 EST »

I've never been to Fleming's but I love Morton's. Ruth's Chris is overrated... Stoney River is better than Ruth's Chris.

Stoney River....is that where I had a ribeye that had gorgonzola butter on it? It was fantastic. I have to say, though, that Longhorn's ribeye is the leader of the pack so far.

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:37 EST »

The Rawhide Palace in Houston. Good steak, good views and easy women. Of course, that was 30 years ago.

G
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 03:11:48 EST »

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Atlanta. I took a date there in 2006,that was one hell of a good steak(It was served with creamed potatoes). It was expensive as hell,You get a great steak however

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
byronga
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 02:30:16 EST »

This is the best that I've visited.

http://www.peterluger.com/

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 06:02:44 EST »

Bern's in Tampa-by-the-Bay!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 08:03:56 EST »

Plus, if anyone has been to both Longhorn Steakhouse and Ruth's Chris and ordered the same cut, which was better?

Many Chefs do not really favor the Filet as a truly tasty cut of steak since it is usually more lean than most steak cuts.  But you can get it to be flavorful with the addition of some basic seasonings and some basic addition of some fats to give it more flavor as well as adding to the flavor with some wine to deglace the pan.  Here is a method I favor for a good steak no matter the cut. 

1 Take your steaks out of the refrigerator
2 Season them with salt and fresh cracked black pepper
3 Let the steaks sit for 30 minutes
4 Get your pan red hot....brush the pan with oil...when it is hot it will start to give off a intense smell of the oil you are using (I suggest a good quality light peanut oil)
5 Place the steaks on the pan and let sear for 3 minutes per side
6 Place into a preheated 450 degree oven
7 For rare leave in 4 minutes for medium rare 5-5:30 minutes for medium 6:30 minutes
8 If you are cooking your steak longer than this do NOT tell me I dont want to know
9 Let your steak rest for 5 to 10 minutes after taking out of oven
10 Optional:  You can finsih your steaks as you remove them from the oven with a little bit of butter, some mushrooms and then deglace the pan after removing the steaks from the pan and fisnihing the mushrooms in wine

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: