VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 08:32:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnett telling Joe Schad that UT won't release him to Michigan or MSU  (Read 14391 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:55:51 EST »

but will release him to the MAC schools.

I understand where Dooley is coming from on this in a way... if you are going home because of your dad then the school shouldn't matter... but it's not like it's Florida or Alabama. We don't play Michigan or MSU. If he doesn't release him to any Michigan school, he comes off as extremely petty and I won't tow the company line on it. Frankly holding the kid back from going where he wants to go in his home state if his dad is sick is a bullshizzle move that will generate an extremely high amount of negative PR for the University... Dooley needs to get the hell over it and concentrate on winning some damn football games with the guys he has.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:59:17 EST »

Agree.  I figured we'd be seeing him in the Big 10 next season, and he would have a chance to do very well there.  And if we have to face him down the line in a bowl game somewhere?  GREAT!  That would mean we actually MADE a bowl.  Let the kid go, CDD.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:02:27 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:04:37 EST »

Agree.  I figured we'd be seeing him in the Big 10 next season, and he would have a chance to do very well there.  And if we have to face him down the line in a bowl game somewhere?  GREAT!  That would mean we actually MADE a bowl.  Let the kid go, CDD.

These are the types of things that make me think that Dooley is over his head. He gets caught up in things that don't mean jack. Would his mentor fight this fight? No freakin' way.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:15:22 EST »

Utterly ridiculous and supports my feelings that he's not a players coach.  I know we don't know the whole story, but I can't think of any good reason for DD not to let the kid go to a homestate school when he's leaving to be with his sick Dad.

Good grief, Dooley.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:36 EST »

Bad PR for sure.  Makes no sense based on what little l know. 
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 12:24:55 EST »

I understand where Dooley is coming from on this in a way... if you are going home because of your dad then the school shouldn't matter... but it's not like it's Florida or Alabama. We don't play Michigan or MSU. If he doesn't release him to any Michigan school, he comes off as extremely petty and I won't tow the company line on it. Frankly holding the kid back from going where he wants to go in his home state if his dad is sick is a bullshizzle move that will generate an extremely high amount of negative PR for the University... Dooley needs to get the hell over it and concentrate on winning some damn football games with the guys he has.

Why does Dooley care if Arnett ends up at MSU or UM?  I thought he embarrassed the school with Bryce Brown and Aaron Douglas, and now he is at it again.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 01:49:52 EST »

Why does Dooley care if Arnett ends up at MSU or UM?  I thought he embarrassed the school with Bryce Brown and Aaron Douglas, and now he is at it again.

I actually supported Dooley in those two cases.  I think he was right to hold them responsible for their own actions and decisions.  But this?  This just seems petty.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 02:08:50 EST »

Dooley is on thin ice with me and this doesn't help. Actually, it pisses me off. The guy,s dad is sick. Let him go and get over it. Hart needs to step in.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 03:06:25 EST »

Arnett should have been released to go to Michigan or Michigan State because It's near His sick Father. This makes Dooley look like a heartless #badword#,JMO

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:04:57 EST »

I actually supported Dooley in those two cases.  I think he was right to hold them responsible for their own actions and decisions.  But this?  This just seems petty.

I agree on Brown and Douglas. Brown basically quit and didn't give Dooley the courtesy of a face to face meeting. Douglas wanted to go to USC with Kiffin. Both deserved to have their feet held to the fire.

The Arnett situation just makes no sense whatsoever. Releasing him to any Michigan school does not hurt Tennessee in the slightest. The kid leaving hurts Tennessee, whether he's going to CMU or UM... but it's just one kid. Just let him go.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 04:57:17 EST »

This will tick me off worse than any loss. Family comes waaaaay before football and Dooley should do the right thing.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 05:24:49 EST »

Wow.  Sometimes I think it's best to wait and see what is really happening.  This is the first I have heard of Arnett leaving.  To bad really.  He had made some noise this year and I think he would of been a real threat next year. 

First of all, has Dooley even spoken on this matter?  It seems to me that everyone is on a feeding frenzy of internet rumors.  This happens a lot in the internet age.  I would like to wait until I hear what he has to say before I get all worked up.  If he declines Arnetts request then we can form a true opinion.  Right now, this is all just speculation.  This reminds me of the 'bump' that was leaked out about Pearl that was used to undermine him.  Then after all was said and done we find out the 'bump' was not real.  All I have to say is Chill Out folks.  It's the week between Christmas and the new year.  Is Dooley even in town right now?  Not only that, it's the end of the recruiting season when rumors are flying everywhere.  How bout we just tone it down a notch and enjoy the season.  There is no rush on this subject at all.  Go enjoy the bowl games.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 05:34:34 EST »

Wow.  Sometimes I think it's best to wait and see what is really happening.  This is the first I have heard of Arnett leaving.  To bad really.  He had made some noise this year and I think he would of been a real threat next year. 

First of all, has Dooley even spoken on this matter?  It seems to me that everyone is on a feeding frenzy of internet rumors.  This happens a lot in the internet age.  I would like to wait until I hear what he has to say before I get all worked up.  If he declines Arnetts request then we can form a true opinion.  Right now, this is all just speculation.  This reminds me of the 'bump' that was leaked out about Pearl that was used to undermine him.  Then after all was said and done we find out the 'bump' was not real.  All I have to say is Chill Out folks.  It's the week between Christmas and the new year.  Is Dooley even in town right now?  Not only that, it's the end of the recruiting season when rumors are flying everywhere.  How bout we just tone it down a notch and enjoy the season.  There is no rush on this subject at all.  Go enjoy the bowl games.

The University has already released a statement on it verifying that it is true. http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/dec/29/ut-says-arnett-can-transfer-but-there-are/

With all due respect, how about familiarizing yourself with the story before assuming we are jumping at shadows? Or, how about you "tone it down a notch" with the preaching at everybody about how they should act or interpret a situation? I mean, if you are going to assume it is a rumor and we are all blindly jumping on it, you could take five minutes to see what the local paper is saying on the matter rather than just assuming that because it's posted on the Internet that it's not true.

Now... if you want to take the side of Dooley and UT as far as the release goes, feel free. But I'm SO OVER posts that paint themselves as voices that cry out in the wilderness.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 06:42:17 EST »

Some more information is coming out about this situation that I think is germane to the issue and why Dooley is restricting the transfer to a degree.  Apparently several of the Coaching Staff visited with the Arnetts while on a recruiting vist and apparently Arnett has not been totally forthcoming on his twitter page concerning the fact that he had not had contact with his father until about a month ago.... While this is being reported on other sites and it is not confirmed, if so this could lead one to suspect Dooley knows more about the situation with Arnett than what is being reported in the Knoxville Fish Wrapper and John Adams public UT Bashing machine and in other PR outlets around the country. 

While I am in a wait and see approach to this if Dooley did not grant the young man his release to anywhere on some planes is disturbing we do not know all the facts so I am in a wait and see approach at the moment!

Just my humble $3.05 a Gallon of Gas opinion!

EmerilVOL

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 06:47:00 EST »

Apparently Dooley's philosophy is not to release guys to programs we "compete against or recruit against".  Yet he is releasing Arnett to the MAC.  So would he also block a kid from transferring to Central Florida, East Carolina, Wake Forest, MTSU, Troy State, UAB, or Tulane?  Because those are all schools that some of our current commits had under consideration before choosing UT.  I hope none of our current targets start taking a look at Eastern Michigan, or Arnett's options could shrink even further.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 07:06:02 EST »

Apparently Dooley's philosophy is not to release guys to programs we "compete against or recruit against".  Yet he is releasing Arnett to the MAC.  So would he also block a kid from transferring to Central Florida, East Carolina, Wake Forest, MTSU, Troy State, UAB, or Tulane?  Because those are all schools that some of our current commits had under consideration before choosing UT.  I hope none of our current targets start taking a look at Eastern Michigan, or Arnett's options could shrink even further.

Lol 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 07:17:34 EST »

This is what I am doing as well.

Some more information is coming out about this situation that I think is germane to the issue and why Dooley is restricting the transfer to a degree.  Apparently several of the Coaching Staff visited with the Arnetts while on a recruiting vist and apparently Arnett has not been totally forthcoming on his twitter page concerning the fact that he had not had contact with his father until about a month ago.... While this is being reported on other sites and it is not confirmed, if so this could lead one to suspect Dooley knows more about the situation with Arnett than what is being reported in the Knoxville Fish Wrapper and John Adams public UT Bashing machine and in other PR outlets around the country. 

While I am in a wait and see approach to this if Dooley did not grant the young man his release to anywhere on some planes is disturbing we do not know all the facts so I am in a wait and see approach at the moment!

EmerilVOL

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 09:31:36 EST »

EmerilVOL

I am hoping this may be the case.  More to it than we know.  Because otherwise, it makes Dooley, and UT look bad.  Anyway, I don't keep up with every single tidbit of info re: UT and the players.  So I will just wait and see, too.   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 02:13:56 EST »

My take - Dooley's following their policy of not releasing any kid to a school that they compete on the field or in recruiting against.  It's policy and he's not going to make changes. Also, from all indications, Arnett was wanting to leave for "other reasons" as well. He can go to Mich or Mich state, but pay a year - maybe get a loan. This serves as a reminder that decisions you make shape your life, and there are consequences to them. His dad was in poor health last year when he committed to UT.

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 03:02:52 EST »

My take - Dooley's following their policy of not releasing any kid to a school that they compete on the field or in recruiting against.  It's policy and he's not going to make changes. Also, from all indications, Arnett was wanting to leave for "other reasons" as well. He can go to Mich or Mich state, but pay a year - maybe get a loan. This serves as a reminder that decisions you make shape your life, and there are consequences to them. His dad was in poor health last year when he committed to UT.

What policy was in effect when Bullard transferred to UT?  Like it or not, it makes DD look like a hypocrite.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 04:01:55 EST »

What policy was in effect when Bullard transferred to UT?  Like it or not, it makes DD look like a hypocrite.
What does Bullard's transfer from Notre Dame got to do with Dooley's policy? 

I was not aware that Dooley also set Notre Dame's policy on transfers 

Dooley has been consistent.  One may or may not agree with the policy but Dooley has been CONSISTENT in it's implementation

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 06:19:00 EST »

I don't know, that would be ND's policy and has nothing to do with UT

And Bullard was a walk on this yr and paid his own way
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 06:33:50 EST »

Walk that company line, boys. Be my guest. I won't do it. 20 years of being a homer has me watching mediocre to bad football every week. I think Dooley is wrong, but I see the apologists are out in full force. Meanwhile next year when we go 6-6, at least he didn't let Arnett transfer to Michigan!!!

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 06:40:22 EST »

Guys, we have to hold everyone to the same set of rules and standards or it'll be mass anarchy!! Well, except Janzen Jackson, who gets 3 chances when everybody else would only get one!

That stuff about precedent is BS. Every situation is different. If it's about Arnett just wanting out and not about his dad, don't release him at all. Stop playing the BS childish conditional release games in a battle you cannot win in the court of public opinion.

But hey... We have to find a way to take up for everything these days I guess.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 02:18:55 EST »

School policy doesn't matter. Consequences for Arnett's decision do not matter. His true intent doesn't matter.

What matters is that Tennessee will be slaughtered over this in the court of public opinion. If we were Alabama or LSU, maybe we could say "screw what everyone else thinks!!" Obviously we're not at that point right now.

Besides, there is such a thing as doing the right thing. Because maybe, just maybe, Arnett is telling the truth. Maybe he really does want to be closer to his very sick father — who probably won't live many more years — instead of being in school thousands of miles away and getting to see him only a few times each year. Are we really going to deny him that opportunity because it's our "policy"? Really?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: