VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 07:46:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who didn't see this coming?  (Read 4249 times)
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2011, 03:05:01 EST »

http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/index.ssf/2011/12/deanthony_arnett_transfer_saga.html
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:02:20 EST »

Can't argue with the writer...
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:13:24 EST »

This is so much hyperbole.....the first paragraph it is apparent that the writer is a Big Ten wanna be apologist.....

First of all if Arnett was truly interested in transferring because of his dad would he not want to go to a school near his home?  Instead his whole thing is I want to go to a BCS School.  Not just because of his Dad but he wants to go to a BCS School. 

Secondly the Coaching staff visited Arnett's family while on a recent recruiting visit to the Michigan area.  If Dooley and company were so heartless would they have visited the family.  If Dooley and company were so heartless would he have released Arnett at all.  The whole thing that the writer and many have missed is that Dooley is not denying a release but he is denying a release to a BCS School. 

This is the ultimate piece of opinion being passed off as news rather than opinion and it is laughably inaccurate in many of its protestations. 

I am not supporting Dooley or UT or the player but I think it is laughable that a player that signed a LOI and then wants out of his contract is basically using the media to play on others emotions.  When Arnett signed his LOI his father was jsut as sick as he is now. Why did that not enter into his decision when he signed his LOI almost a year ago? 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:12:06 EST »

Can't argue with the writer...
I can

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:07 EST »

I can

It would be a pretty futile argument. Outside of Tennessee fans, perception is exactly what that article pointed out.

Especially noteworthy is the part where the writer pointed out the hypocrisy of Tennessee's official reasoning. We'll release him to a MAC team but not one of the big two Michigan teams because we don't want to release him to anyone we play or recruit against...yet we play a MAC team next season.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:43:23 EST »

It would be a pretty futile argument. Outside of Tennessee fans, perception is exactly what that article pointed out.

Especially noteworthy is the part where the writer pointed out the hypocrisy of Tennessee's official reasoning. We'll release him to a MAC team but not one of the big two Michigan teams because we don't want to release him to anyone we play or recruit against...yet we play a MAC team next season.

He wrote an opinion based on a single side of the story and did NOT contact one person associated with the University for any comments or to attempt to be balanced.  Now there are things coming out that Arnett is also wanting to consider Notre Dame as a destination.  Are these the actions of a young man totally concerned for his father or is it a screen for his real reasons for wanting to just totally throw out his commitment?  It seems that there are more things than what this writer postulated in his opinion piece of which some are not proving to be true.  His slant is enitrely his opinion and is NOT news!!!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:29:29 EST »

Emeril, I see your point.  OTOH, how exactly does it affect the University of Tennessee if Arnett goes to a BCS school vs. the MAC?  I just can't wrap my head around that being such a big deal.  Dooley apparently thinks it is, but IMO you have to balance the "risk/reward".   

What do we gain from denying him a transfer to MSU or Michigan?  Very little, IMO!   The risk is that we get panned by the press, which is happening, and that could affect recruiting this year.   I don't see the trade.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:36:23 EST »

Dooley needs to throw out his policies. Proclaiming the policies publicly paint him in a corner. He needs to deal with each issue that arises individually and then give his reasons.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:29:24 EST »

"Justin, I can't talk to you right now... I don't care where you and Peter go, but I've got to make sure DeAnthony isn't trying to screw me!" - Derek Dooley

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: