VTTW Board Index
July 02, 2024, 08:34:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter from Arnett about his release.  (Read 8130 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:47:23 EST »

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/jan/03/letter-deanthony-arnett-following-his-release/

Although, I am sure that my request to leave UT was not the best or most expected news to Coach Dooley. However, he took the time to hear me and understand that I must keep family first at all times. He has a family of his own and made it clear that he would never want a player to choose football over the most important things in life. For this reason his decision to release me unconditionally comes as a sign of a compassionate and empathetic coach. I will never be able to express fully my appreciations and gratitude for his decision.

I want to ensure that all recruits, currents players and fans know that the University of Tennessee is headed in the right direction. All good things take time and work. UT has always surpassed the rest and I believe in due time they will be back to the number one program in the SEC. If I did not have issues within my family, you could guarantee that I would continue to be a VOL.

Doesn't sound as bad now. I wonder if the media nationwide will reflect this? I suspect not.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:03:09 EST »

The national media loves a story about how the coach won't release a guy more than the followup. Many of the same outlets that ran a mention of Dooley's refusal to release Arnett to Michigan or MichSt will never mention Arnett's comments now. The damage has been done. Part of that is Dooley's fault. Part of it is also Arnett's fault, because he had a totally different tone when he went public last week. Of course, the flip side of that is if he hadn't done that, there's probably a chance that he would've never been released to the school of his choice, so it's hard to blame him.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:29:13 EST »

While I agree that the damage has been done and the media will pay no attention to this, I'm impressed.  Arnett didn't have to do that.  Sort of pointless, but a pretty nice gesture.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:24:54 EST »

I notice that he had someone edit his spelling and grammar in this letter.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:57 EST »

The national media loves a story about how the coach won't release a guy more than the followup. Many of the same outlets that ran a mention of Dooley's refusal to release Arnett to Michigan or MichSt will never mention Arnett's comments now. The damage has been done. Part of that is Dooley's fault. Part of it is also Arnett's fault, because he had a totally different tone when he went public last week. Of course, the flip side of that is if he hadn't done that, there's probably a chance that he would've never been released to the school of his choice, so it's hard to blame him.

Ain't no damage been done!  Durn dude you are the MOST pessimistic Vol I have EVER known.  Tennessee is Tennessee.  How many players has UT put in the Pros, and continues to do so ad infinitum!  Ever heard of Stanley Morgan, Roland James, Bill Bates, Reggie White, Peyton Manning?  You think they badmouth UT, or did?    No.  This is a very tough time.  Maybe Dooley was sending a message to other players knowing what he would ultimately do in this case.  You see the glass half empty.  I see it half full.  We aren't that far from having a mighty damn good team.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:28:53 EST by SmokeyJoe » Logged
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:35:17 EST »

How many players has UT put in the Pros, and continues to do so ad infinitum!  Ever heard of Stanley Morgan, Roland James, Bill Bates, Reggie White, Peyton Manning?  You think they badmouth UT, or did?    No.

What in the HELL does that have to do with this situation?

If my opinion that Dooley is going to be perceived poorly for his handling of Arnett makes me pessimistic, so be it.

As for the rest of your post . . . 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:36:48 EST »

I hope I'm wrong, but that letter really sounds like something written by CDD or someone else in the UTAD.   

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:05:18 EST »

Quote from: BigOrange Maniac link=topic=22771.msg107993#msg 107993 date=132564 :hi5:4517

What in the HELL does that have to do with this situation?

If my opinion that Dooley is going to be perceived poorly for his handling of Arnett makes me pessimistic, so be it.

As for the rest of your post . . .  

What it has to do with anything is this is an ongoing concern.  It didn't start in 1979 when you were likely
Born.  There is a long history of success.  It won't stop IF we have made a bad hire.  We are in a down phase.  We'll be back!  That said I didn't particularly care for the hardball position, BUT I ain't paid $2mil (or whatever) to play hardball, or not.  Relax.  You act like your life is UT sports.     
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:21:07 EST by SmokeyJoe » Logged
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 04:23:15 EST »

I hope I'm wrong, but that letter really sounds like something written by CDD or someone else in the UTAD.   

And who cares id he did write it? That's what lawyers do and a lawyer is evidently what this program needed. Right?
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:27:48 EST »

What it has to do with anything is this is an ongoing concern.  It didn't start in 1979 when you were likely
Born.  There is a long history of success.  It won't stop IF we have made a bad hire.  We are in a down phase.  We'll be back!  That said I didn't particularly care for the hardball position, BUT I ain't paid $2mil (or whatever) to play hardball, or not.  Relax.  You act like your life is UT sports. 

Once again, WTH are you talking about? My post has absolutely nothing to do with Dooley being a bad hire or UT football being in a down phase. The "damage done" is a statement about public perception of the way Dooley handled the Arnett matter. If you're going to accuse me of being the most pessimistic person ever or acting like UT football is my life or some ridiculous nonsense like that, at least try to get a basic grasp of what I'm saying first instead of flying off the handle when you don't have a freaking clue what you're saying.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:45:47 EST »

I have a clue what I'm saying. What is the damage? Or perceived damage? The guy is gone. Free & clear.
A message to other fair weathered Vols? Good! Whoopteedoo. A non issue all the way around.  At first it seemed BIG. Not so much
in hindsight.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 05:06:05 EST »

I have a clue what I'm saying. What is the damage? Or perceived damage? The guy is gone. Free & clear.
A message to other fair weathered Vols? Good! Whoopteedoo. A non issue all the way around.  At first it seemed BIG. Not so much
in hindsight.

Good grief. Let me break this down into very simple terms for you. Inspector Vol asks, "Doesn't sound as bad now. I wonder if the media nationwide will reflect this?" I reply, "No; they won't. The damage has been done." The damage done, quite obviously, is that the media has already said what they're going to say about the Dooley-Arnett situation and they aren't going to go back and correct those reports any. Then you come diving face-first into the discussion ranting about former Vols like Stanley Morgan and Peyton Manning and how they don't bad-mouth the program, and how this is Tennessee and has been since before I was born, yada yada yada. Seriously, are you drunk? Then you turn around and start talking about my pessimism...because I don't think the media is going to treat Dooley warmly because he granted Arnett a release. LOL.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 05:21:12 EST »

Good grief. Let me break this down into very simple terms for you. Inspector Vol asks, "Doesn't sound as bad now. I wonder if the media nationwide will reflect this?" I reply, "No; they won't. The damage has been done." The damage done, quite obviously, is that the media has already said what they're going to say about the Dooley-Arnett situation and they aren't going to go back and correct those reports any. Then you come diving face-first into the discussion ranting about former Vols like Stanley Morgan and Peyton Manning and how they don't bad-mouth the program, and how this is Tennessee and has been since before I was born, yada yada yada. Seriously, are you drunk? Then you turn around and start talking about my pessimism...because I don't think the media is going to treat Dooley warmly because he granted Arnett a release. LOL.

It's a non issue. You think a bunch of soon to be 18 y/o read the national press like you do? Lol.  The point was, smartass, UT has a shizzleload of hard earned goodwill in the profession.  Get a life.  Are you diabetic, and why?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 05:25:07 EST »

Oh, and that's what we do on message boards... come diving into the conversation.  Nobody at UT gives a rats ass what you think. Thankfully!
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 05:25:34 EST »

It's a non issue. You think a bunch of soon to be 18 y/o read the national press like you do? Lol.

Wow. You still don't get it.

Are you diabetic, and why?

I have no idea where you're going with that, but coming from you I suspect it'll be some sort of low blow.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 05:34:30 EST »

You make a habit of asking people if they are drunk when they disagree with you? When they have mentioned drinking during a previous thread? Coming from you I consider it a low blow!  Yes "GOD" forgive me I drink and post at home!  Perfectly legal, no? Not so sure eating dog meat is though.  Lol.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 05:37:28 EST »

Please refrain from calling people dumbasses. Thanks.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Quasi EVol
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 06:44:54 EST »

Please refrain from calling people dumbasses. Thanks.

Quote from the 1990s:  "Boy, it sure would be fun to start a message board!"
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:38:27 EST »

Seriously Smokey, how many drinks did you have last night?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 03:16:35 EST »

Seriously Smokey, how many drinks did you have last night?

Call it being drunk on the cumulative effect of this nutty rollercoaster   I generally don't get involved in these sort of
"debates".   I consider them much ado about not much of anything at all. That said I did dive into a fairly innocent discussion.  I do not believe the sky is falling even though we lost inexcusably to a terrible Uk team, got spanked by arkie, and Wilcox/sirmon
Bolted.  Personally, I think we were poised to have a nice year until Hunter went down.  Look no futher than the Indy Colts
for a comparison on how razor thin the margin can be.  I generally come here to see good news, and get good clean scoop, for free.
I'm not big on the nuances of this or that long term effect from this or that decision, and for the most part avoid
Those "deep" discussions.  I should probably revert to that practice.  BOM & I have been a little silly 2x recently.  No biggie.  He is a nice guy.  I can tell. Peace & love to you all.   GBO!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 03:23:03 EST »

And I should have typed the above from tapatalk.  Much easier.  Doh!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 07:07:18 EST »

I don't think that much damage was done initially, and if any was, then it will pretty much go away.   I don't see how any halfway intelligent fan can't be aware of what transpired, but who cares what fans think anyway?  The important thing is that this can't be used against us in recruiting.  That was my only real concern anyway. 

I'm not, and never have been, one of these people that gives a flip what the media or opposing fans think anyway (though I will try to correct opposing fans if I think they are putting out info that's incorrect). 

I think a lot of SEC fans have in the past seemed overly obsessed with what the national media says about their teams or the league.  This has perhaps changed a bit as the SEC has recently made it's case on the field, and now does get respect.

Even more than that, I think since ESPN has the SEC contract now, they don't have to put down the SEC and build up the Big 10, Pac 12, etc, like they used to. 

Getting off topic though...like I said, I could care less what any mediia or opposing fan said about Arnett, OTHER THAN the effect that might have on recruiting, and I think that damage is controlled and that perhaps now this whole thing might even be a POSITIVE.

In other words, any recruit reading that letter IMO is more likely to want to come to UT now, and not the other way around.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: