VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 09:29:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Randy Shannon  (Read 12119 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:10:14 EST »

Indications are that he will be named the new DC by Friday. Will likely bring Michael Barrow with him.

If so, this would be a huge home run.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:16:16 EST »

Yep. Sometimes it's darkest before dawn. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:45:24 EST »

So, do we think this is an upgrade from Wilcox/Sirmon?  What do you guys think, comparing the two sets.  I know there's no way to tell how Shannon/Barrow will fare, but I've got to think this will provide more inroads to south Florida in recruiting.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:06:35 EST »

So, do we think this is an upgrade from Wilcox/Sirmon?  What do you guys think, comparing the two sets.  I know there's no way to tell how Shannon/Barrow will fare, but I've got to think this will provide more inroads to south Florida in recruiting.

I don't think it's an upgrade necessarily. Wilcox is an intelligent D.C. and Sirmon is an excellent recruiter who is really coming into his own very quickly as a coach.

But I do think it would be a huge win. I wouldn't have thought UT could land someone of Shannon's caliber just a few days ago, mostly because I think that a lot of coaches will view the situation here as a sinking ship -- whether rightly or wrongly.

What worries me is the possibility that Shannon is being promised that he'll have a shot at H.C. if Dooley doesn't pan out. Shannon is by all accounts a nice guy and a guy with strong integrity. But his track record as head coach at Miami was just not good at all. And sight cannot be lost of the fact that he presided over one of the largest scandals in college football history (although all accounts say that he did everything he could to steer his players away from the booster).
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:07:53 EST »

Shannon was very successful as a DC in Miami, and it would probably be a slight upgrade in recruiting, although Sirmon was certainly a good one. Would also increase the # of AAs on the staff, which is a good thing.

Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:46:44 EST »

Indications are that he will be named the new DC by Friday. Will likely bring Michael Barrow with him.

If so, this would be a huge home run.

I think they maybe a couple contract issues to work out was told by friend who is a life long Canes booster and fan would happen this week or not at all. He prasied Barrow to no end, and said Shannon still has a great rep in Canes family as DC. He said Randy Shannon was a class act.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:51:42 EST by Volcreed » Logged
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:11:06 EST »

To be honest, I see it as a tremendous upgrade.  Shannon has a proven record at DC and although I believe Wilcox was a solid DC, I see Shannon as head and shoulders above him. I like everything that I hear about Barrow, as well. He appears to be a great recruiter. Losing Wilcox hurt, but this hire would do much more than just make up for it.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:09:20 EST »

I guess it depends on who you talk to. I think I'd prefer to have Steele / Marion Hobby as has been rumored. Steele has had as much success as Shannon. To be honest, Shannon actually didn't have a rep as a great recruiter despite his SoFla ties.

Of course, getting Shannon would piss off the Gators, which is not really a bad thing... Shannon is one of their least favorite people... up there with Roy Williams from UNC and our AD Dave Hart but just below Bowden and Kiffin.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:16:26 EST »

I'd be thrilled with Shannon, and if Barrow comes it's even better.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 05:20:40 EST »

I guess it depends on who you talk to. I think I'd prefer to have Steele / Marion Hobby as has been rumored. Steele has had as much success as Shannon. To be honest, Shannon actually didn't have a rep as a great recruiter despite his SoFla ties.

Of course, getting Shannon would piss off the Gators, which is not really a bad thing... Shannon is one of their least favorite people... up there with Roy Williams from UNC and our AD Dave Hart but just below Bowden and Kiffin.

I have read where Steele has been contacted, but I am not sure why he'd come now when he has already turned us down 2 years ago. Not even sure if he was contacted to gauge interest or it has gone further than that. One thing I have read is that Hart wants Shannon and may be pushing that particular scenario. I guess we will know soon.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 05:29:04 EST »

My thoughts exactly, not sure why he'd leave the situation he's in for an unstable one in a "lateral" move, especially since he's already turned us down.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 05:29:36 EST »

Steele, that is.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 05:37:38 EST »

I have read where Steele has been contacted, but I am not sure why he'd come now when he has already turned us down 2 years ago. Not even sure if he was contacted to gauge interest or it has gone further than that. One thing I have read is that Hart wants Shannon and may be pushing that particular scenario. I guess we will know soon.

I read the same thing you read about Hart wanting Shannon and not Steele, but what I read came from a message board poster. I heard Hubbs say this morning that Steele turning them down at the last minute a couple of years ago might've had to do with uncertainty about Mike Hamilton, and that Steele worked with Hart at FSU. I'm not sure how Hart would know Shannon and therefore push for him.

Also I read Hubbs say yesterday that he's heard it theorized that Chavis was the reason Steele had uncertainties about MH because they are close friends and Chavis told him some stuff.

Parsing through all the rumors and coverage, I still believe that Steele is the number one choice and Shannon is no better than a name on a list of backup candidates.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 07:00:03 EST »

I think it's a great hire if true.  Shannon has a outstanding rep as a DC and can't help but help with SoFla recruiting. 

My completely uninformed opinion is that he is an upgrade, but not a large one, as Wilcox is also pretty good.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 07:01:45 EST »

I read the same thing you read about Hart wanting Shannon and not Steele, but what I read came from a message board poster. I heard Hubbs say this morning that Steele turning them down at the last minute a couple of years ago might've had to do with uncertainty about Mike Hamilton, and that Steele worked with Hart at FSU. I'm not sure how Hart would know Shannon and therefore push for him.

Also I read Hubbs say yesterday that he's heard it theorized that Chavis was the reason Steele had uncertainties about MH because they are close friends and Chavis told him some stuff.

Parsing through all the rumors and coverage, I still believe that Steele is the number one choice and Shannon is no better than a name on a list of backup candidates.

I hope not. I am unimpressed by Steele's defenses at Clemson.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 08:44:25 EST »

I hope not. I am unimpressed by Steele's defenses at Clemson.

I'm not overly impressed, but then again people who think that Shannon had a reputation as an outstanding defensive coach and recruiter at Miami are not quite recalling things correctly. His classes by Miami standards were unimpressive. He got schooled by Urban Meyer in his own state and city. His defenses, like so many other coordinators, were good when he had players and fair when he didn't.

I think too many people are looking at Shannon and seeing "SOUTH FLORIDA RECRUITING" and I think that's perception, not reality.

I'll back him if he comes but I don't think he's a home run.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 09:12:57 EST »

I'm not overly impressed, but then again people who think that Shannon had a reputation as an outstanding defensive coach and recruiter at Miami are not quite recalling things correctly. His classes by Miami standards were unimpressive. He got schooled by Urban Meyer in his own state and city. His defenses, like so many other coordinators, were good when he had players and fair when he didn't.

I think too many people are looking at Shannon and seeing "SOUTH FLORIDA RECRUITING" and I think that's perception, not reality.

I'll back him if he comes but I don't think he's a home run.

Randy Shannon's defense's national rankings when he was the DC at Miami - he was DC 6 years. He also received the Broyles award in 2001.

2001 – 6th
2002 – 7th
2003 – 2nd
2004 – 28th
2005 – 4th
2006 – 7th

I don't think he proved himself a Great recruiter, but he was a good one. The position coaches do more of the legwork in recruiting anyway, more so than the coordinators, so we'd have to have an ace recruiter to replace Sirmon. He was not a good head coach, but I don't think there is any doubt he was a good DC.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:22:04 EST »

Randy Shannon's defense's national rankings when he was the DC at Miami - he was DC 6 years. He also received the Broyles award in 2001.

2001 – 6th
2002 – 7th
2003 – 2nd
2004 – 28th
2005 – 4th
2006 – 7th

I don't think he proved himself a Great recruiter, but he was a good one. The position coaches do more of the legwork in recruiting anyway, more so than the coordinators, so we'd have to have an ace recruiter to replace Sirmon. He was not a good head coach, but I don't think there is any doubt he was a good DC.

Good when he had players, and fair when he didn't. He didn't have players after he took over as HC and was still basically responsible for the defense.

I'm just not sold that he's a huge upgrade over anybody. I think he's a good coach, but people who act like he is the big must get guy on the market are being selectively optimistic in my opinion.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 09:30:10 EST »

Good when he had players, and fair when he didn't. He didn't have players after he took over as HC and was still basically responsible for the defense.

I'm just not sold that he's a huge upgrade over anybody. I think he's a good coach, but people who act like he is the big must get guy on the market are being selectively optimistic in my opinion.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 09:41:32 EST »

I think he's the best option I have heard of that looks to be in play right now, a much better one than Steele. There are better ones out there, sure, but I don't know if they will come to UT at this point to work for Dooley.

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57:05 EST »

I made that same argument on another board, and was told I was "clueless".  My point like yours was,  any decent DC could excel with the players he had 2001-2006. 
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 11:10:10 EST »

I don't know what to believe anymore. I just read where LWS has "supposedly" said that Kevin Steele will be named DC friday and that he's bringing M. Hobby with him. I'm just going to sit back here and watch now.

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 11:26:58 EST »

I don't know what to believe anymore. I just read where LWS has "supposedly" said that Kevin Steele will be named DC friday and that he's bringing M. Hobby with him. I'm just going to sit back here and watch now.

I wouldn't completely swallow what LWS says anymore, OV. He lost his connections when Fulmer went out the door. More connected than a normal poster? Probably, but he's missed a lot since Fulmer was gone. Rodney Garner, for instance.

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 11:49:59 EST »

I will be suprised if we are able to attract either Shannon or Steele. I hope we can get a big name, but I don't see it happening.  More likely scenario is Lance Thompson get promoted or we hire a (supposed) up and comer like Spangler.  I hope I am wrong. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 12:00:36 EST »

'Meister, that's been my attitude all week.  I assumed Thompson would be promoted and would be shocked if we can get Steele or Shannon.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: