VTTW Board Index
July 07, 2024, 01:14:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any dog experts here?  (Read 9769 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:22:05 EST »

Looking at a Cavalier King Charles spaniel (possibly) for my kids.... I have read that they could have some health issues. has anyone here had this type of dog?

This is what the pups look like...

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:49:58 EST »

Looking at a Cavalier King Charles spaniel (possibly) for my kids.... I have read that they could have some health issues. has anyone here had this type of dog?

They are adorable dogs, but I've never had personal experience with the breed. Like nearly every pure dog breed there are bound to be some health issues-- the question is how pervasive the issues are and how serious they are if your dog gets them. Some breeds are prone to skin rashes, while others are prone to far more debilitating diseases.

DogBreedInfo (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cavalierkingcharlesspaniel.htm) says this about the King Charles:

Prone to syringomyelia, hereditary eye disease, dislocating kneecaps (patella), back troubles, ear infections, early onset of deafness or hearing trouble. Sometime's hip dysplasia. Don't over feed. This breed tends to gain weight easily. Also prone to mitral valve disease, a serious genetic heart problem, which can cause early death. It is wise to check the medical history of several previous generations before choosing your puppy.

My advice to you is the same as I give to everyone: go to a shelter and find a mutt puppy there. If there are no puppies (assuming you really want a puppy), go back again the next week. Check the shelters until you find a puppy that seems to fit your wants and desires re: size and temperament (though this is not exact with mutts), and adopt one.

Mutts are the smartest most even-tempered dogs you will find and they have far fewer health problems in general. Most importantly, you are giving an existing dog a home rather than encouraging a puppy mill to make more.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:51:54 EST by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:57:19 EST »

CO, thanks...

I would get a mutt, and I am definitely keeping an eye out, but I haven't seen anything that the girls like, or of the age and temperament I want. Seems to be a lot of Pit bull pups in the pound.

My girls love the spaniel, so that's why I am considering it. I also like the golden retrievers, but I want an inside dog, and they're bigger dogs who like to be outside a lot.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:11:51 EST »

Seems to be a lot of Pit bull pups in the pound.

Yep, and nobody wants to adopt them. It's incredibly sad and I'm guessing most of them end up being euthanized. I hope the culture that encourages the overbreeding of Pits can be eradicated.

My girls love the spaniel, so that's why I am considering it. I also like the golden retrievers, but I want an inside dog, and they're bigger dogs who like to be outside a lot.

I understand completely, and I get why people like certain breeds. I don't mean to be preachy (well, that's not true . . . I guess I DO mean to be preachy). It's just that the issue of pet adoption vs. pet breeding is an important one to me, and until the "unwanted" dog population is under control I'd prefer people to adopt dogs who really need homes.

I'm also a little biased by my friends Bruno and Sophie:

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:20:00 EST »

Can't really blame someone for not adopting pit bulls, especially someone with kids. I totally agree with you that overbreeding of any dog needs to be eradicated, and I am very sympathetic to pet adoption, if I can get a puppy that fits the criteria.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:24:12 EST »

Can't really blame someone for not adopting pit bulls, especially someone with kids.

I can't either. I have friends who used to argue with me up and down that it was all nurture . . . that Pits weren't any more naturally aggressive than any other dog breed. They argued that right up until they had to get rid of their own Pit who became too aggressive.

They have been selectively bred to be mean and aggressive by the cruel people who breed them to fight. The dogs can't help it, and that's what's incredibly sad to me.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:41:08 EST »

My mom has a three year old King Charles.  I don't know about health problems, but that has to be the friendliest, most affectionate dog I've ever seen.  I mean really, really, really friendly.  Almost overbearingly so.  Whenever I'm at her house, Riley is up in my face begging for attention.  I saw an Animal Planet show about the breed, and they said one of the nicknames for them is "Love Sponge".  I can definitely see that. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:59:07 EST »

My mom has a three year old King Charles.  I don't know about health problems, but that has to be the friendliest, most affectionate dog I've ever seen.  I mean really, really, really friendly.  Almost overbearingly so.  Whenever I'm at her house, Riley is up in my face begging for attention.  I saw an Animal Planet show about the breed, and they said one of the nicknames for them is "Love Sponge".  I can definitely see that. 

My girls like them because they are friendly, and they're not too big. They want a lap dog.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:14:47 EST »

They are the incredible affectionate and even-tempered.  The one huge caveat--they really, really stink.  Not sure exactly why, but every one I have been around, especially in a closed environment really smells bad.  Not regular dog smell, steroid dog smell. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:16:58 EST »

They are the incredible affectionate and even-tempered.  The one huge caveat--they really, really stink.  Not sure exactly why, but every one I have been around, especially in a closed environment really smells bad.  Not regular dog smell, steroid dog smell. 

Maybe the ones you were around didn't get regular baths. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 04:27:19 EST »

My mom's dog doesn't stink, outside of the occasional bad breath.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 04:33:34 EST »

My mom's dog doesn't stink, outside of the occasional bad breath.

Your mom is probably like CObh . . . I think our dogs bathe more often than most of my friends. 

10EC
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:07 EST »

It's the ears.  They don't get much ventilation so you have to keep them cleaned regularily.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:13:18 EST »

Thanks ppl. A friend suggested an alternative - a shih tzu, said they are much lower maintenance, and are great with kids. That's another one I will look into

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:47:08 EST »

The Shih Tzu is probably less expensive. My secretary says that a friend of hers bought one of those spaniels and it costs $1500.00 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:19 EST »

The Shih Tzu is probably less expensive. My secretary says that a friend of hers bought one of those spaniels and it costs $1500.00 

Cheapest ones I have seen here are $1100. I can get a shih tzu puppy for $275. Someone tell me what the temperament of a shih tzu is

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:08 EST »

Cheapest ones I have seen here are $1100. I can get a shih tzu puppy for $275. Someone tell me what the temperament of a shih tzu is

My friends have one and he is very friendly. He was little hyper when he was young, but all young dogs can be that way, especially the small ones.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:47 EST »

I'd just like to say that I'm proud of you all. Not a single reference to a shih tzu/bulldog mix. You are all either more mature than I thought or have never seen Dumb and Dumber.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 10:13:25 EST »

I'm with Clocky - please try a shelter. Look online at petfinder.com.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:02 EST »

I'm with Clocky - please try a shelter. Look online at petfinder.com.

That's a great site! Thanks!

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 10:58:19 EST »

They are adorable dogs...never had one though.   Have you looked at the Cairn terrier?    The are wonderful with kids...i know a great breeder too, but the are in Florida.   I don't know if I'll ever have another breed...love the Cairn!  OJ also has a cairn.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 11:01:35 EST »

A shih tzu is a great dog too...our cousin has them.   You can often find pure breed rescues on perfinder...great web site

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 12:05:06 EST »

I agree a great deal with CO relative to shelters.  We went the pure breed route with our Carirn because we wanted a certain personalty.  I didn't know about rescue then but if we were to get another pup it would be from a rescue outfit.  There are general rescue groups and most common breeds have rescue groups for their breeds.  If you want a pure breed then I would suggest going the rescue route but I understan that with at least some groups it is like adopting a child at the amount of background checking you have to go through (One Cairn group: 4 references, only one can be family, two vet references, a home visit, etc.)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 12:10:31 EST »

Here you go, Nut.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/16/a-million-dollar-mastiff-and-more-the-worlds-most-expensive-dog-breeds/#king_charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: