VTTW Board Index
June 07, 2024, 08:01:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am astounded at the number of people I see on other boards  (Read 6975 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:30:01 EST »

who think that 10-6 and #2 seed in the SEC-T is going to get UT into the NCAA-T easily. I understand people being homers in a way, but that is just not going to happen without at least two wins in the SEC-T and maybe even three (meaning winning the tourney against UK). Tennessee fans are unbelievably uneducated and naive about this stuff. Lunardi doesn't have UT among his last four out or next four out. That means the guy nails the tourney just about every year has at least 8 teams ahead of UT. MAYBE if UT beats VU they get into the "next four out" but that's still a tough row to hoe.

There is recent precedent for a 10-6 SEC team to be left out of the tourney and without at least 19 tourney eligible wins it isn't going to happen and UT fans should stop it already with the delusions of grandeur. I can see the redneck storm coming... Cal is going to win COTY (and deservedly so) and UT is going to the NIT (and deservedly so) and UT fans everywhere are going to lose it because of the grand conspiracy against UT. In the end it will just make us all look stupid.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:47:55 EST »

Imo just about every fan base has that segment who are homers that can't be reasoned with.  I've seen those same types of posts on other Vol boards too and I just shake my head.  But I've seen them on boards from other schools and other conferences, too.  I think it seems to be worse on the big boards with thousands of posters, which makes sense... Law of averages, plus I think posters like that flock to the bigger boards where they don't "know" anyone.  That's what drives me away from those bigger boards,the fact that people say anything and everything and claim it as fact.  I much prefer a smaller community such as VTTW.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:30 EST »

One of the best predictors of the NCAA at-large teams is Jay Coleman's Dance Card (http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm).

This was before LSU, which probably slid us up a few notches, but Coleman has us 20 spots below the bubble with a 0% chance of a bid. Now that is as of today and doesn't look at the rest of the potential games, so it's not like we are stuck there . . . but even a win over Vandy is not going to get us up around that bubble line. Two wins will not rocket us up 20 spots.

So yeah . . . I totally agree. Two wins in the SECT will put us in bubble territory. Anything short of that and we're probably an NIT lock.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:28:23 EST »

One of the best predictors of the NCAA at-large teams is Jay Coleman's Dance Card (http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm).

This was before LSU, which probably slid us up a few notches, but Coleman has us 20 spots below the bubble with a 0% chance of a bid. Now that is as of today and doesn't look at the rest of the potential games, so it's not like we are stuck there . . . but even a win over Vandy is not going to get us up around that bubble line. Two wins will not rocket us up 20 spots.

So yeah . . . I totally agree. Two wins in the SECT will put us in bubble territory. Anything short of that and we're probably an NIT lock.

He has actually updated his numbers and we are now 14 below the bubble.  Also, our likelihood of making the tournament has gone up to an astounding .01%.   A win against Vandy could get us into the 10s below, but we still need something major to happen in the SECT.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:28:59 EST »

agree....to get in the bubble talk we need to beat Vandy and win 2 in the tourney. Let's just win the tourney and eliminate doubt.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:00:30 EST »

agree....to get in the bubble talk we need to beat Vandy and win 2 in the tourney. Let's just win the tourney and eliminate doubt.

Heck, why not?  We may not want to play UK, but I guarantee that we're also the last team they want to see right now.  We had them down for the count in Knoxville and let them off.  Cal knows it, he's said as much. 

They may be the best team money can buy, but they're not invincible.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:31 EST »

Heck, why not?  We may not want to play UK, but I guarantee that we're also the last team they want to see right now.  We had them down for the count in Knoxville and let them off.  Cal knows it, he's said as much. 

They may be the best team money can buy, but they're not invincible.

They are not invincible but they are better than they were when we bet them in Knox.

That being said, if we could win 2 games and get them in the finals... why the hell not?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:02 EST »

agree....to get in the bubble talk we need to beat Vandy and win 2 in the tourney.

That's my thinking. And that's to just get in the "bubble talk". Teams that are playing well at the end of the season get a closer look. We still might not have the record or RPI to justify our selection. But we certainly would have a better chance than if we lose to Vandy or crap out in the first game of the tourney.

Beating Vandy is a must.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 02:27:51 EST »

who think that 10-6 and #2 seed in the SEC-T is going to get UT into the NCAA-T easily. I understand people being homers in a way, but that is just not going to happen without at least two wins in the SEC-T and maybe even three (meaning winning the tourney against UK). Tennessee fans are unbelievably uneducated and naive about this stuff. Lunardi doesn't have UT among his last four out or next four out. That means the guy nails the tourney just about every year has at least 8 teams ahead of UT. MAYBE if UT beats VU they get into the "next four out" but that's still a tough row to hoe.

There is recent precedent for a 10-6 SEC team to be left out of the tourney and without at least 19 tourney eligible wins it isn't going to happen and UT fans should stop it already with the delusions of grandeur. I can see the redneck storm coming... Cal is going to win COTY (and deservedly so) and UT is going to the NIT (and deservedly so) and UT fans everywhere are going to lose it because of the grand conspiracy against UT. In the end it will just make us all look stupid.

Some of the other posters on other boards should "GAL"  Everything that happens that is in the least amount negative is seen as "program" or "coach" killing and UT will be hard pressed to win 4 games next year on the field so lets go ahead nad fire Dooley now.    Damn what a bunch of BS!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:21:21 EST »

Some of the other posters on other boards should "GAL"  Everything that happens that is in the least amount negative is seen as "program" or "coach" killing and UT will be hard pressed to win 4 games next year on the field so lets go ahead nad fire Dooley now.    Damn what a bunch of BS!!!

Thread has nothing to do with football, but I haven't seen a lot of people on other boards say that UT will be hard pressed to win 4 games next year. That being said, I am on the side of people who think Dooley can't be successful at UT long term and I sadly don't expect him to be the coach after 2012.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:37:52 EST »

Thread has nothing to do with football, but I haven't seen a lot of people on other boards say that UT will be hard pressed to win 4 games next year. That being said, I am on the side of people who think Dooley can't be successful at UT long term and I sadly don't expect him to be the coach after 2012.

Sorry was not trying to hijack the thread jsut that i get tired of the "oh the sky is falling" mentality from some of the posters.  I have been around this old planet for a while and while UT has been up and down in most major sports I am just over the sky bunch whenever anything negative happens in football/basketball/baseball (etc etc etc) cause it just seems so counter productive to me.   But i know I am in the minority.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:30:21 EST »

I don't think it's necessarily a given that Cal will win COTY. If UT beats Vandy and wins a game or two in the tourney, I think Cuonzo has a very strong case, given the state of the program he inherited and the improvement UT has shown.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:59:31 EST »

I don't think it's necessarily a given that Cal will win COTY. If UT beats Vandy and wins a game or two in the tourney, I think Cuonzo has a very strong case, given the state of the program he inherited and the improvement UT has shown.

If they beat UF, he will win it. Guaranteed. I would bet money. To go undefeated in the SEC with three frosh starters... I hate that slimebag but he deserves it. Cuonzo does too and would win it in any other year but to go undefeated in the league is a ridiculous accomplishment.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 06:35:52 EST »

Agree it won't be an easy case, but it's certainly possible IMO.   If we win today and are  2  in the SEC (if that's still possible, because it depends on other teams also doing things), then should the number 2 team in the SEC be left out?

I understand that we have some very weak losses in NC play, our RPI suxes and our overall record is marginal.  But we could make it IMO.

I guess we will find out.

First we need to beat Vandy though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 12:51:39 EST »

Agree it won't be an easy case, but it's certainly possible IMO.   If we win today and are  2  in the SEC (if that's still possible, because it depends on other teams also doing things), then should the number 2 team in the SEC be left out?

I understand that we have some very weak losses in NC play, our RPI suxes and our overall record is marginal.  But we could make it IMO.

I guess we will find out.

First we need to beat Vandy though.

My original point was that a win today doesn't put UT in. Yet many dumb UT fans think it did. They need at least 2 wins to be on the bubble.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: