VTTW Board Index
June 08, 2024, 04:39:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC may soon have its first female fb player  (Read 9981 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:51:18 EST »

And only the second in FBS history:

http://eye-on-college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/35113249?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:56:35 EST »

Cool, hope she is successful

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:58:46 EST »

What happens if one of her kicks gets blocked and the ball bounces back in her hands?  Would she be tackled like a male player?  Imagine the reaction the first time she gets roughed because opposing team tried to block a FG.  I would hate to be the coach that puts a girl on a football field and tells her to compete against 300 lb men.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:34 EST »

I'm sure she's aware of all possibilites and is eager to prove herself.  I hope she does well.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:42:44 EST »

What happens if one of her kicks gets blocked and the ball bounces back in her hands?  Would she be tackled like a male player?  Imagine the reaction the first time she gets roughed because opposing team tried to block a FG.  I would hate to be the coach that puts a girl on a football field and tells her to compete against 300 lb men.

I'm sure she knows of the hazards of the game, and it's a risk she assumes. She'll have to compete like everyone else to be able to play.

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:50:53 EST »

I'm sure she knows of the hazards of the game, and it's a risk she assumes. She'll have to compete like everyone else to be able to play.

It doesn't matter what she knows.  Imagine the stigma placed on some poor guy if he hit her and injured her badly.  Not to mention the bad publicity for the school.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:54:30 EST by volmeister » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:11:57 EST »

It doesn't matter what she knows.  Imagine the stigma placed on some poor guy if he hit her and injured her badly.  Not to mention the bad publicity for the school.

Like I said, she'll have to compete and beat out other kickers first. If she does so, and by some off chance she has a kick blocked back to her and tries to run with it, then there's no stigma for her to get tackled by some guy, or bad publicity for the school. It's football. Maybe she won't get hurt, even....women are tougher than you think.

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:21:38 EST »

Like I said, she'll have to compete and beat out other kickers first. If she does so, and by some off chance she has a kick blocked back to her and tries to run with it, then there's no stigma for her to get tackled by some guy, or bad publicity for the school. It's football. Maybe she won't get hurt, even....women are tougher than you think.

I don't think men would play as hard against women in a violent sport like football.  It is just human nature.  You don't think there would be an outcry if a 300 lb man crushed a 140 lb girl with a vicious tackle? Please.    On a side note, not real sure how you know what I think as far as the toughness of women.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:43:07 EST »

I don't think men would play as hard against women in a violent sport like football.  It is just human nature.  You don't think there would be an outcry if a 300 lb man crushed a 140 lb girl with a vicious tackle? Please.    On a side note, not real sure how you know what I think as far as the toughness of women.

Lived long enough to know you can't please everyone. There's always going to be an outcry over something, until the next thing comes along.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:00:36 EST »

I'll say this and live with the consequences. Women have no business playing college football as a general rule. Men aren't hardly able to handle the shots some of these people take and their bodies are better designed for it than a woman typically is. I feel the same about women in combat roles in the military as well. There are exceptions to this I am well aware but if I were the coach and it was my decision it would not happen.

I don't think women should be kept barefoot and pregnant either, but the truth is men and women are different physically as a general rule.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:24:34 EST »

I'll say this and live with the consequences. Women have no business playing college football as a general rule. Men aren't hardly able to handle the shots some of these people take and their bodies are better designed for it than a woman typically is. I feel the same about women in combat roles in the military as well. There are exceptions to this I am well aware but if I were the coach and it was my decision it would not happen.

I don't think women should be kept barefoot and pregnant either, but the truth is men and women are different physically as a general rule.

You're right, in general. However, I firmly believe in living with rewards and consequences of your decisions, especially adults. I have no problem if a woman wants to try out to play linebacker, let alone a kicker. If she can do it, try out, compete, more power to ya. It's a brutal sport, you live with your decision.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:38:09 EST »

I'm with Nut on this one.  As far as sports go, if a woman who obviously knows th risk competes for and wins the job, more power to her.

Why would a stigma be attached to the school or opposing players when she voluntarily participated?

Combat is totally different.  In combat, peoples lives depend on a man's strength and physicality. 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:27:08 EST »

kickers won't go out of their way to make or take a hit either. Some of their tackling attempts are embarrassing to watch. She should fit right in with those guys at the position.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 01:19:19 EST »

kickers won't go out of their way to make or take a hit either. Some of their tackling attempts are embarrassing to watch. She should fit right in with those guys at the position.

i was thinking the exact same thing.  i bet she can be as physical as most other PK's out there.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 02:32:03 EST »

They're usually about as big as her too.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 03:29:19 EST »

Good luck to her. If she does make it into a game, which is certainly not a given, and she has to respond to a long return as the last line of defense, then I hope she levels the guy, particularly if he is from bammer or uf.   OTOH, if he is from UT I hope he plows over her and leaves nothing but pieces of bra and pantie in his wake.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 05:39:27 EST »

Oh good heavens....this is ridiculous.  Women have no business playing football at this level.  I am completely against this.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 09:25:54 EST »

OTOH, if he is from UT I hope he plows over her and leaves nothing but pieces of bra and pantie in his wake.   

NC Enginerd
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:00 EST »

Ja.  For a football player anyway.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G.K. Chesterton ILN, 4/19/24
10EC
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 11:26:32 EST »

There are better pics at Wayne's.... and yes, she is VERY hot
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 12:08:21 EST »

I don't have a problem with this, based on the following assumptions:

1. She understands and accepts the risks to her physical health by participating.
2. She understands and accepts the fact that she will be the target of biased comments by some.  (by opponents, teammates, fans, media, etc)  She'll need thick skin.
3. The coach's decision to let her play in a game is based on merit.  Meaning, he isn't playing her just to make a political/cultural statement, but rather because she earns playing time from practice (just like any other player).  The coach/team/university/society doesn't owe her any playing time, only a fair shot to earn playing time.

How this should play out:  The girl pays her dues by practicing every day, just like the other LSU placekickers.  If she demonstrates competency, the coach plays her.  Likely kicking XPs against an LSU creampuff oppponent.  Sort of like Notre Dame's "Rudy."  If so, good for her, good for LSU, and good for women.

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:03 EST »

I don't have a problem with this, based on the following assumptions:

1. She understands and accepts the risks to her physical health by participating.
2. She understands and accepts the fact that she will be the target of biased comments by some.  (by opponents, teammates, fans, media, etc)  She'll need thick skin.
3. The coach's decision to let her play in a game is based on merit.  Meaning, he isn't playing her just to make a political/cultural statement, but rather because she earns playing time from practice (just like any other player).  The coach/team/university/society doesn't owe her any playing time, only a fair shot to earn playing time.

How this should play out:  The girl pays her dues by practicing every day, just like the other LSU placekickers.  If she demonstrates competency, the coach plays her.  Likely kicking XPs against an LSU creampuff oppponent.  Sort of like Notre Dame's "Rudy."  If so, good for her, good for LSU, and good for women.

Good for women?? 
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 01:49:04 EST »

Good for women??

Sure.  Being the first of her gender to play football in the SEC would be precedent-setting and a point of pride for women.  Same thing as Nat Worthington's play at UK back in 1967 was a breakthrough for African-Americans.

And eventually, the question would be, why isn't there a woman football coach at the college or pro level?   What would it take for a woman to be "qualified" to coach a men's football team?

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 02:07:53 EST »

Sure.  Being the first of her gender to play football in the SEC would be precedent-setting and a point of pride for women.  Same thing as Nat Worthington's play at UK back in 1967 was a breakthrough for African-Americans.

And eventually, the question would be, why isn't there a woman football coach at the college or pro level?   What would it take for a woman to be "qualified" to coach a men's football team?

Good grief. 
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 02:52:13 EST »

I asked my wife if she thought it would be good for women if a woman were to play football in the SEC.  She looked at me like I had just stepped out of a space ship from Mars. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: