VTTW Board Index
June 06, 2024, 09:12:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ooh, this is neato!  (Read 2190 times)
NC Enginerd
All-American

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:13 EDT »

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/05/auburn_researchers_discover_ne.html

A new species of spider has been discovered by Auburn researchers in Auburn, and it will carry the name of the university's mascot, according to a story at livescience.com.

The spider is called the Auburn tiger trapdoor spider or Myrmekiaphila tigris, according to the story. It belongs to the genus that includes among its now 12 species the famous M. neilyoungi, from Birmingham, Ala., named for rocker Neil Young.

"The discovery of a new species in a well-developed area like this further demonstrates the amount of biodiversity on our planet that remains unknown," study researcher Jason Bond of the Auburn University Museum of Natural History was quoted as saying.

Trapdoor spiders are close relatives of tarantulas and funnel web spiders, the story said, and look similar, though they have less hair on their bellies and legs that appear to be polished.

The spiders are just a few centimeters long, with females being larger and more "robust," Bond said. Males can be found in relatively large numbers wandering neighborhood sidewalks, in swimming pools and even in home garages between November and December, the story said.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G.K. Chesterton ILN, 4/19/24
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:24:35 EDT »

You are an #badword#.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:43:10 EDT »

I swear I'm banning the next person who posts a spider picture for a week.

I had one crawl over my arm the other night in bed. Luckily I was reading a book on my iPad so I could see the little bastard, or I would've lost him and been up all night.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 07:26:57 EDT »

You are an #badword#.

I second this sentiment: 

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: