VTTW Board Index
June 04, 2024, 04:21:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johan Santana pitched the first no hitter in Mets history tonight...  (Read 1912 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:00:23 EDT »

I've always been amazed that a franchise that has had guys like Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, David Cone, and Pedro Martinez has never had one before now. 

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 05:47:39 EDT »

course Nolan was crazy wild when he was with the Mets.  Can't remember which hitter referred to him as the Exorcist (scares the devil out of me).  Nolan is so alone in the no hit records it is non-competitive, 7 pitched and 24 broken up in the 7th or later.  Only Koufax is close with 4.  I love no hitters, no higher drama in sports for an extended time period, 7th inning on.  Anyway, just heard on the call that it was the Mets 8020th game.  Like you said, hard to believe with those pitchers named.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:18:01 EDT »

course Nolan was crazy wild when he was with the Mets.  Can't remember which hitter referred to him as the Exorcist (scares the devil out of me).  Nolan is so alone in the no hit records it is non-competitive, 7 pitched and 24 broken up in the 7th or later.  Only Koufax is close with 4.  I love no hitters, no higher drama in sports for an extended time period, 7th inning on.  Anyway, just heard on the call that it was the Mets 8020th game.  Like you said, hard to believe with those pitchers named.

And as a Braves fan, I always found it odd that of all the great pitchers they had in the 90's and 2000's, the only guy to pitch a no-no was Kent Mercker- and he did it twice.

Although Smoltz was robbed of one in '96 by a corrupt hometown scorer in San Diego. 

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:04:00 EDT »

San Diego is now the only team that hasn't pitched a no hitter.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:08:12 EDT »

I've always been amazed that a franchise that has had guys like Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, David Cone, and Pedro Martinez has never had one before now. 

Yeah I missed this question during a round of "Sports Illustrated Trivia" at a local bar.  For some reason, I thought the Mets were one of the teams that had finally gottn a no hitter the last year or so, but it hadn't happened yet.  That was only a couple weeks ago.  Interesting timing on the question.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: