VTTW Board Index
June 01, 2024, 05:54:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The WinePost©  (Read 5065 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:00:35 EDT »

The WinePost©

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water."
- Galileo Galilei,1564-1642

Pursuant to numerous requests (2), The Winepost© has returned to recommend only the finest of wines Most of the time there will also be a tidbit of oenophilic information.

Grey Stack Cellars Pinot Noir, Bennett Valley Cuvée (2009)($29.00)

When a wine becomes popular, there is naturally an increase in production. A larger selection of wines is good, but the increase in production also means there will be more really bad wines. It happened to Merlot. Then it happened to Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. And now it's happening to Pinot Noir. You have to be careful to avoid the bad ones. You need information. The WinePost© is back.

Tonight's selection is an excellent Pinot Noir and one of the better ones I have had recently. My friends agree and have requested it for the last few social gatherings. This is a full-bodied Pinot with dark fruit flavors, some spice and tannins that are fine but definitely noticeable. It would pair well with a big slab of red meat or the Thanksgiving turkey.

Wine Fact: Always swirl the wine in the glass for a bit before tasting. Swirling causes the wine to mix with some air. The aromas open up and escape at which point you can stick your nose down into the glass and breathe it in. Swirling is related to aeration in the bottle or carafe which will be covered next week.

Enjoy!

art by artzcatz

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:18:24 EDT »

Why would anybody want wine they just stuck their noses into??
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:39:48 EDT »

Why would anybody want wine they just stuck their noses into??

If you're sticking your nose into the wine, we need to talk. 
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:43:57 EDT »

The aromas open up and escape at which point you can stick your nose down into the glass and breathe it in. Swirling is related to aeration in the bottle or carafe which will be covered next week.

Did you, or did you not, write that you can stick your nose down into the glass and breathe the wine in?????? Huh? Did you?
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 12:49:31 EDT »

Did you, or did you not, write that you can stick your nose down into the glass and breathe the wine in?????? Huh? Did you?

If you can get your nose into the wine you have either too much wine or too much nose.   

But if you snort some wine, let me know how it was. Might be something new there. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 01:47:56 EDT »

The WinePost©

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water."
- Galileo Galilei,1564-1642

Pursuant to numerous requests (2), The Winepost© has returned to recommend only the finest of wines Most of the time there will also be a tidbit of oenophilic information.

Grey Stack Cellars Pinot Noir, Bennett Valley Cuvée (2009)($29.00)

When a wine becomes popular, there is naturally an increase in production. A larger selection of wines is good, but the increase in production also means there will be more really bad wines. It happened to Merlot. Then it happened to Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. And now it's happening to Pinot Noir. You have to be careful to avoid the bad ones. You need information. The WinePost© is back.

Tonight's selection is an excellent Pinot Noir and one of the better ones I have had recently. My friends agree and have requested it for the last few social gatherings. This is a full-bodied Pinot with dark fruit flavors, some spice and tannins that are fine but definitely noticeable. It would pair well with a big slab of red meat or the Thanksgiving turkey.

Wine Fact: Always swirl the wine in the glass for a bit before tasting. Swirling causes the wine to mix with some air. The aromas open up and escape at which point you can stick your nose down into the glass and breathe it in. Swirling is related to aeration in the bottle or carafe which will be covered next week.

Enjoy!

art by artzcatz

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
101stDad
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:53:23 EDT »

Mrs. 101st and I are watching the U.S. Open and finishing up a bottle of J. Opi Malbec 2011 that we had with dinner:

http://www.wsjwine.com/jsp/product/productDetails.jsp?productId=prod590046

It's an Argentina wine, and we found it to be very enjoyable and went well with our steaks. 

Of course, it's not a fancy wine like the wine snob, Droner, drinks (  ) - a mere $17.99 per bottle - but we still enjoyed it very much. 
Navol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 03:56:46 EDT »

If you can get your nose into the wine you have either too much wine or too much nose.   

But if you snort some wine, let me know how it was. Might be something new there. 

Would that make you a "winehead"? Talk about "feeding your Jones"!

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 05:28:42 EDT »

Mrs. 101st and I are watching the U.S. Open and finishing up a bottle of J. Opi Malbec 2011 that we had with dinner:

http://www.wsjwine.com/jsp/product/productDetails.jsp?productId=prod590046

It's an Argentina wine, and we found it to be very enjoyable and went well with our steaks. 

Of course, it's not a fancy wine like the wine snob, Droner, drinks (  ) - a mere $17.99 per bottle - but we still enjoyed it very much. 

Wait a minute. Say what? You're drinking wine?  I thought you were a teetotaler. When did this happen?

Welcome to the wine world. And from my research, that sounds like a good wine.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 05:28:54 EDT »

I myself have found a rather inexpensive 2009 Pinot Noir branded with the name Echelon around (15) a 750.  
101stDad
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 03:43:20 EDT »

Wait a minute. Say what? You're drinking wine?  I thought you were a teetotaler. When did this happen?

Welcome to the wine world. And from my research, that sounds like a good wine.

You know how children learn from their parents, right?  Well, this is something we learned from one of our children.  Our son, living out the "officer and a gentleman" theme that was instilled in him at West Point has become a major wine connoisseur and introduced us to some of the finer points of wines.  We've gotten to the point that we enjoy it very much.  

Strange things happen in this world. This is one of those.  I never in a million years thought we would become winos.  

And thank you for your research and approval.  I am still very much a novice when it comes to choosing wines, and with my son in Afghanistan I can't make a quick call to check with him.  A nod of approval from those experienced with wines is a good thing.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:00:07 EDT by 101stDad » Logged
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 07:21:44 EDT »

101st Dad...I bet your son would never in a million years tell you to stick your nose into the wine glass!
UT Mom
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 08:44:43 EDT »

Now that I can't drink wine, I'll try the swirl and sniff, are would it tempt me too much ?   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: