VTTW Board Index
June 06, 2024, 04:15:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what happens to UGA's running game?  (Read 6241 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:30:50 EDT »

Their OL was a question mark coming in. Now they have lost their talented back Crowell - dismissed from team

You look at their depth chart and they have Ken Malcombe, a soph who is pretty average, and Keith Marshall, a talented freshman, but I don't know that he;'s the type of impact guy Crowell was.

Georgia's going to have a good defense - they'll need it IMO

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:25 EDT »

So maybe we have a shot.

But we will know about our team long before uga.

This does open up the East a bit more.  Going in, I had uga as the favorite with USC the second choice, and us and uf as the other possibilities.  Uga loses some of their luster at this point.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:53:25 EDT »

So maybe we have a shot.

But we will know about our team long before uga.

This does open up the East a bit more.  Going in, I had uga as the favorite with USC the second choice, and us and uf as the other possibilities.  Uga loses some of their luster at this point.

UGA still has the easiest schedule of the entire SEC

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:31:32 EDT »

UGA still has the easiest schedule of the entire SEC

It can't be that much easier than ours, but bammer is a pretty big difference I guess.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:19:13 EDT »

It can't be that much easier than ours, but bammer is a pretty big difference I guess.

They miss all three of the strongest teams in the West (and the entire SEC) for the second year in a row.  Once can be chalked up to an odd scheduling quirk, as that schedule was made years in advance.  But this year's league schedule was only put together late last year, after aTm and Mizzou came aboard.  So whomever put it together knew that UGA had just completed probably the easiest SEC slate since the league expanded in '92 (and won the division because of it), and made a conscious decision to give them the same schedule again.  It's almost criminal.

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:25:03 EDT »

Their OL was a question mark coming in. Now they have lost their talented back Crowell - dismissed from team

You look at their depth chart and they have Ken Malcombe, a soph who is pretty average, and Keith Marshall, a talented freshman, but I don't know that he;'s the type of impact guy Crowell was.

Georgia's going to have a good defense - they'll need it IMO

It will be RB by committee.  We actually have another frosh RB, Todd Gurley, who is expected to play a lot.  We also have sr Richard Samuel, who had a couple of big games last year (including the W over UF).   At this point the RB position looks to be more stable than last season, given that Crowell, Carlton Thomas and Malcombe all missed significant portions of the season with injuries and suspensions.  UGA's run game will be fine.

Regarding our schedule, none of our rivals complained when we had a tough schedule a few years ago, so I'm not apologizing when we cycle into an easy schedule. 

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:52:32 EDT »

They miss all three of the strongest teams in the West (and the entire SEC) for the second year in a row.  Once can be chalked up to an odd scheduling quirk, as that schedule was made years in advance.  But this year's league schedule was only put together late last year, after aTm and Mizzou came aboard.  So whomever put it together knew that UGA had just completed probably the easiest SEC slate since the league expanded in '92 (and won the division because of it), and made a conscious decision to give them the same schedule again.  It's almost criminal.

Things like that and bama's lack of holding calls I assume when we get back to the top means we will get some favorable treatment as well.  
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:07:10 EDT by Inspector Vol » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 02:18:07 EDT »

It will be RB by committee.  We actually have another frosh RB, Todd Gurley, who is expected to play a lot.  We also have sr Richard Samuel, who had a couple of big games last year (including the W over UF).   At this point the RB position looks to be more stable than last season, given that Crowell, Carlton Thomas and Malcombe all missed significant portions of the season with injuries and suspensions.  UGA's run game will be fine.

Regarding our schedule, none of our rivals complained when we had a tough schedule a few years ago, so I'm not apologizing when we cycle into an easy schedule. 

Dude, dismissing Crowell's loss is silly. He had 850 yards last year and was clearly your big play RB. Gurley and Marshall are good, but they're not Crowell type talents.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:50:45 EDT »

UGA's run game may very well be okay this year, but I suspect that one would have a difficult time finding a single Dawg fan who didn't pucker when he heard of Crowell's latest screwup.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:23:31 EDT »

UGA's run game may very well be okay this year, but I suspect that one would have a difficult time finding a single Dawg fan who didn't pucker when he heard of Crowell's latest screwup.

They puckered, but I think they saw it coming. UGA fans I've talked to here were saying as early as the end of last season that Crowell wouln't make it.
SouthwestFloridaGator
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:05:42 EDT »

Keith Marshall looks like a big time player to me. I think he'll step in nicely, although he doesn't have the power that Crowell had. The losses on the OL will take more of a toll on UGA than the loss of Crowell.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 01:37:55 EDT »

They miss all three of the strongest teams in the West (and the entire SEC) for the second year in a row.  Once can be chalked up to an odd scheduling quirk, as that schedule was made years in advance.  But this year's league schedule was only put together late last year, after aTm and Mizzou came aboard.  So whomever put it together knew that UGA had just completed probably the easiest SEC slate since the league expanded in '92 (and won the division because of it), and made a conscious decision to give them the same schedule again.  It's almost criminal.

If you look at UGA's schedule last year they played Auburn (permanent opponent), MSU (second year they played them in the rotation) and Ole Miss (first year they played them in the rotation). They were due to drop MSU and pick up Bama with Ole Miss in for their second year. With Mizzou joining and forcing an extra division game, it seems the SEC just allowed UGA to play out their two year series against Ole Miss and delay picking up Bama for a year. Unusual? Yes, but everyone knew things would be a little off-kilter with the addition of new teams. "Almost criminal"? Nah, unless you like conspiracy theories.

We got a big break ourselves. We should have been in the second year of playing Arkansas, but somehow got to drop them and pick up MSU instead.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 01:45:43 EDT »

We got a big break ourselves. We should have been in the second year of playing Arkansas, but somehow got to drop them and pick up MSU instead.

Very true and we should be grateful.

Though in retrospect, with their coach self-destructing, I would almost love to have a shot at Arkanasas on our own home field after last year's debacle.  Almost.   

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 01:58:30 EDT »

Actually, MSU was set to rotate on our schedule anyway in place of LSU.  We're losing Arkansas to play new Eastern opponent Mizzou. 

I won't deny that our schedule is about as easy as it's ever been.  But I'd certainly trade ours for UGA's. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:02 EDT »

Actually, MSU was set to rotate on our schedule anyway in place of LSU.  We're losing Arkansas to play new Eastern opponent Mizzou. 

I won't deny that our schedule is about as easy as it's ever been.  But I'd certainly trade ours for UGA's. 

Right.  But they could have moved MSU later and kept Arkie, so it could have been much worse.  As it stands, the only real difference in our schedules is that we play MSU and bammer in place of Ole Miss and Auburn.  It's true that bammer should be much better than Auburn this year, and that Ole Miss is probably the weakest team in the conference (going into the season), so yeah there is a bit of a difference but we still have a pretty easy schedule.

And don't forget....the dawgs have to play US and we get to play THEM.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 02:17:34 EDT »

Right.  But they could have moved MSU later and kept Arkie, so it could have been much worse.  As it stands, the only real difference in our schedules is that we play MSU and bammer in place of Ole Miss and Auburn.  It's true that bammer should be much better than Auburn this year, and that Ole Miss is probably the weakest team in the conference (going into the season), so yeah there is a bit of a difference but we still have a pretty easy schedule.

And don't forget....the dawgs have to play US and we get to play THEM.   
Keeping the hawgs would have screwed the schedule up with the (new to the SEC) tigers coming to twon this year.  We had to have an away West team and it was the cow girls bells turn to rotate in. 
With the new schedule in play now we will get to an away West (other than bamer) location once every 11 years

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: