VTTW Board Index
June 08, 2024, 06:11:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC released game times  (Read 5029 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:10:54 EDT »

UT Florida 6pm kickoff. Here is the link for the first 3 weeks,

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/235659/sec-releases-early-season-tv-schedule.aspx
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:06:25 EDT »

Obviously it came as no surprise that the game against Georgia State is a PPV game, but it made me think — When is the last time that neither of UT's first two games of the season were either nationally televised or on ESPN/ESPN2?

It still blows my mind that UT agreed to a Friday night game in the season opener in order to land on the oh-so-highly-ranked ESPNU.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:07:57 EDT by BigOrange Maniac » Logged
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:10:17 EDT »

Obviously it came as no surprise that the game against Georgia State is a PPV game, but it made me think — When is the last time that neither of UT's first two games of the season were either nationally televised or on ESPN/ESPN2?

It still blows my mind that UT agreed to a Friday night game in the season opener in order to land on the oh-so-highly-ranked ESPNU.

They didn't have a choice in the matter. The original deal was to do a double header in the Dome on Saturday and ESPN owns the rights to the TV. I'm sure that the contract they agreed to for the Chick-Fil-A game said "You will play when we tell you to play."

ESPN can take any game it has the rights to and put it on any of its networks. UT agreed to play in the Dome on an ESPN channel and got shuffled into the situation they are in.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:10:35 EDT »

Btw, while the SEC website still says "TBA" for the GaState kickoff, UT announced this morning that it will be at 4 pm.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:11:21 EDT »

They didn't have a choice in the matter. The original deal was to do a double header in the Dome on Saturday and ESPN owns the rights to the TV. I'm sure that the contract they agreed to for the Chick-Fil-A game said "You will play when we tell you to play."

ESPN can take any game it has the rights to and put it on any of its networks. UT agreed to play in the Dome on an ESPN channel and got shuffled into the situation they are in.

Okay, let me rephrase: It blows my mind that UT agreed to a deal that would allow it to be shuffled to a Friday night game on ESPNU.

How's that? 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:16:27 EDT »

Okay, let me rephrase: It blows my mind that UT agreed to a deal that would allow it to be shuffled to a Friday night game on ESPNU.

How's that? 

I think it sucks to be in that situation but they had to take it based on what they thought it would be to begin with.

Personally I'm happy they split the games into two days because I'm going to both games, I just wish we were on ESPN instead of ESPNU because of exposure.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:50:29 EDT »

I think it sucks to be in that situation but they had to take it based on what they thought it would be to begin with.

Personally I'm happy they split the games into two days because I'm going to both games, I just wish we were on ESPN instead of ESPNU because of exposure.

There should have been better clarification demanded from ESPN if it was unclear...which I have trouble believing, to be honest. I think UT knew it was a gamble and just hoped for the best. I'm opposed to Friday games as a general rule, but it really irritates me that UT gave up a game at Neyland to go to Atlanta and play on a Friday night on ESPNU. We could've gotten that much exposure by keeping a game at Neyland Stadium and playing on Saturday afternoon.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:25:30 EDT »

Actually, when we accepted the game, it was in the midst of Kiffin's season and we looked to be on the upswing.  There was no doubleheader scheduled at the time.  Then Kiffin left, we went in the tank, and the folks in Atlanta decided to find a better matchup.  Thus, we get screwed, per usual.   

When we finally get back on top again, they're going to beg us to come back.  When that happens, I hope we tell them to stick their cash up their ass and take the game in Dallas instead. 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:07:06 EDT »

Actually, when we accepted the game, it was in the midst of Kiffin's season and we looked to be on the upswing.  There was no doubleheader scheduled at the time.  Then Kiffin left, we went in the tank, and the folks in Atlanta decided to find a better matchup.  Thus, we get screwed, per usual.   

When we finally get back on top again, they're going to beg us to come back.  When that happens, I hope we tell them to stick their cash up their ass and take the game in Dallas instead. 

Interesting. I thought it was always a double header.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:35:00 EDT »

Interesting. I thought it was always a double header.

http://mrsec.com/2012/02/chick-fil-a-double-header-set-but-ut-ncsu-likely-wont-be-pleased/

Quasi EVol
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 01:36:11 EDT »

...When we finally get back on top again, they're going to beg us to come back....

...and run a Hypesman campaign against any UT contender AGAIN.
...and use dirt from disgruntled faculty/staff to stab us in the back with some scandal AGAIN.
I think more of the Gameday clowns (zero) than I do the network that airs them (less than zero).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: