VTTW Board Index
June 05, 2024, 01:01:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New rules in college football...  (Read 4172 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:32:59 EDT »

1. If a player's helmet comes off not as a result of a foul, the player must sit out one play.

2. Kickoffs that result in a touchback will come out to the 25.

3. On onside kicks, if the kicker kicks the ball into the ground to get that big hop into the air, the player on the receiving team attempting to catch the ball cannot be hit before getting the chance.

I can live with rules 1 and 2. Number 3 would seem to be difficult to call correctly in some situations.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:50:48 EDT »

I'm indifferent on #1 but the other two are pretty ridiculous. On kickoffs, we're already making it more difficult to kick it to the end zone so why penalize teams that have a kicker strong enough to force touchbacks?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:59:23 EDT »

I'm indifferent on #1 but the other two are pretty ridiculous. On kickoffs, we're already making it more difficult to kick it to the end zone so why penalize teams that have a kicker strong enough to force touchbacks?

The kickoff is also moving back out to the 35 though . . . so I think if it were still coming out to the 20 there would be little motivation to do anything but boot it out of the endzone, making the kickoff a pretty meaningless play most of the time. I am fine with the changes (they also made a rule that the kickoff team can't line anyone up behind the 30-- presumably to reduce high-speed collisions) and think it will be interesting to see what coaches decide to do. Most everyone has a kicker that can do touchbacks from the 35 now.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

101stDad
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:04 EDT »

1. If a player's helmet comes off not as a result of a foul, the player must sit out one play.

3. On onside kicks, if the kicker kicks the ball into the ground to get that big hop into the air, the player on the receiving team attempting to catch the ball cannot be hit before getting the chance.

I can live with rules 1 and 2. Number 3 would seem to be difficult to call correctly in some situations.

So, is rule #3 a reviewable play? 
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:18:18 EDT »

So, is rule #3 a reviewable play? 

The article didn't say. But how could an official know that some guy pretending to catch the ball could really catch it? I know it's a safety issue to prevent guys with their heads up from getting plowed over but I expect this one could result in a lot of flags on onside kicks.
101stDad
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:29:10 EDT »

The article didn't say. But how could an official know that some guy pretending to catch the ball could really catch it? I know it's a safety issue to prevent guys with their heads up from getting plowed over but I expect this one could result in a lot of flags on onside kicks.

That's why I see, too.  I see that one as being really hard to enforce in a consistent manner and it will definitely slow the game down, as virtually every onside attempt is potentially reviewable. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:31:26 EDT »

That's why I see, too.  I see that one as being really hard to enforce in a consistent manner and it will definitely slow the game down, as virtually every onside attempt is potentially reviewable. 

As seldom as onside kicks occur, I don't think slowing the game down is a huge concern . . . but I share the sentiment that this rule may be too hard to evenly enforce. It will be a difficult call to make live, and it's one that involves some judgment. It is probably not fair to review such plays. So you have to wonder if there wasn't a better way to make the play safer without something so tricky to enforce.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:39:55 EDT »

They could use replay to get that #3 right though
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:05:41 EDT »

Just kick them the way Palardy did last year against Cincinnati.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9glU0HieJg
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:20:11 EDT »

I hate, absolutely loathe, no. 3.  The on-sides kick is one of the most exciting plays in football, and provides a great risk/reward that few other plays do.  If you get it, you have excellant field position and if you don't the other team does.  For chrisakes, it's hard enough to pull off as it is and this makes it harder.  Do NOT like.

As for the 25-yard rule on touchbacks, I also don't like it.  It makes the kicking team more likely to kick it short, making the returning team more likely to return it, making the game more exciting.

The NFL tried to make returns a lot more exciting and ended up causing injuries, and then backed away from it.  You would think the NCAA would notice that.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: