VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 03:01:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Braves trade for Ryan Dempster  (Read 4810 times)
101stDad
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:56:50 EDT »

I hate to lose Delgado, but you have got to make that move if you want to make the playoffs. 

http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/2012/07/23/braves-acquire-dempster/
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:28:53 EDT »

Well, at least they didn't have to give up Tehran.  It's disappointing to me that they had to trade for pitching at all.  I never dreamed that the rotation would be this bad this year, even with the loss of Beachy.   

101stDad
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:35 EDT »

Uh, seems like that report may have been a bit premature:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ryan-dempster-trade-atlanta-braves-randall-delgado-false-alarm.html
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:32:43 EDT »

Hopefully it's not a major hangup.  We need him in uniform ASAP. 

I thought this would be the season that the young guys took over, and Tim Hudson turned the ball over to them and rode off into the sunset.  But now we're looking at the stretch run with a top 3 of Hudson, Sheets, and Dempster.  Three old guys.  Crazy.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:30:10 EDT »

I thought I heard on TV yesterday that this was the last year of Dempster's contract and he would be a free agent. But I also heard them say that the Braves had the money to keep him. Which I found odd since the Braves usually don't spend or have the money to get the top free agents. But with Chipper retiring, maybe some money is available.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:40:59 EDT »

I thought I heard on TV yesterday that this was the last year of Dempster's contract and he would be a free agent. But I also heard them say that the Braves had the money to keep him. Which I found odd since the Braves usually don't spend or have the money to get the top free agents. But with Chipper retiring, maybe some money is available.

Prado and Bourn are also in their walk years.  I'm sure the cheapskates at Liberty Media won't pony up to keep them all.

101stDad
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 02:15:54 EDT »

Prado and Bourn are also in their walk years.  I'm sure the cheapskates at Liberty Media won't pony up to keep them all.

Do the Braves not have an option year with one or both of them? 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:34:04 EDT »

Do the Braves not have an option year with one or both of them? 

They do with Prado.  But everything I've read says they won't exercise it.  In fact, when they were struggling a few weeks ago, he was rumored to be on the block. 

As for Bourn, they aren't even talking.  He'll almost certainly be elsewhere next year.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:11:27 EDT »

Sounds like Dempster is being a diva and taking his sweet time to approve the deal.  He is scheduled to start for the Cubs tomorrow.  If he does, that's one less start that he would get to make for us.  And when you consider that we're in a tight race, and a pitcher only has ~10 starts left in this season, we need every inning we can get out whomever we trade for.  Maybe it's time to tell Dempster to go to hell and to go to plan B, whatever that is.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8196232/2012-mlb-trade-deadline-chicago-cubs-ryan-dempster-weighing-options
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:29:49 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: