VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 12:51:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got contacts today for the first time, at the age of 37  (Read 4798 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:46:20 EDT »

I've been wearing glasses for a couple of years, mostly just at work and when I'm on the computer, but I need them increasingly more and I hate dealing with keeping them clean and keeping up with them.

Not sure why I'm sharing this here, other than to give BOM a reason to lampoon me. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:00:22 EDT »

at the age of 37

5 years older than .

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:09:40 EDT »

5 years older than .

When you first got yours, were they blurry for a little while? If I REALLY focus, everything is very sharp and clear, but it's hard to make myself focus.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:14:11 EDT »

When you first got yours, were they blurry for a little while? If I REALLY focus, everything is very sharp and clear, but it's hard to make myself focus.

Honestly I can't recall. I actually first got contacts (hard-- gas permeable) when I was 13 but couldn't do it. It was too uncomfortable. I got soft contacts at 15 but don't remember how hard it was to adjust. Really at this point-- 5+ years post-laser surgery-- I don't even remember how they felt.

I suspect that you're just not used to the sensation of having them in your eyes, and that everything will be clear in a matter of days.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:18:15 EDT »

Honestly I can't recall. I actually first got contacts (hard-- gas permeable) when I was 13 but couldn't do it. It was too uncomfortable. I got soft contacts at 15 but don't remember how hard it was to adjust. Really at this point-- 5+ years post-laser surgery-- I don't even remember how they felt.

I suspect that you're just not used to the sensation of having them in your eyes, and that everything will be clear in a matter of days.

I think that's probably right.

I'm going to see how much I like or hate them for at least 6 months... if I absolutely hate them I will bite the bullet and get laser surgery. My wife got Lasik and swears by it, but I'm not a big fan of surgery to begin with and my eyes are a big part of my career (like everyone else I guess) and it makes me nervous.

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:59:21 EDT »

I use to keep my contacts in all week until I developed an ulcer in my eye. Having one of those is no joke. My eye doc said take the contacts out every night, which I do faithfully now. 
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:24:23 EDT »

Welcome to getting older! Things will now gradually get worse, but theres always Geritol!

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 04:44:37 EDT »

Welcome to getting older! Things will now gradually get worse, but theres always Geritol!

I feel better now than I did at 27. Since 27 I have quit smoking and lost 60 pounds.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 06:52:27 EDT »

With the current contacts, a certain slipping on the eye occurs because they are large, flexible, and are designed to hold water for comfort.

I remember adjusting to them in the 90s.  It took a certain getting used to, but they were incredibly more comfortable than the "semi-permeable" lenses I started with, or even the permanent soft contacts I used in the early 90s. 

I think of it this way...with the disposable contacts I use and some slight astigatism, my eyes vary from 20/20 to 20/30 depending on how rapidly I blink my eye, whether the wind hits me funny, etc, but that small and occasional slipping of the lens is well worth the comfort the current disposable lens bring. 

There is really no comparison to the older ones.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:15:24 EDT »

I've been wearing glasses for a couple of years, mostly just at work and when I'm on the computer, but I need them increasingly more and I hate dealing with keeping them clean and keeping up with them.

Not sure why I'm sharing this here, other than to give BOM a reason to lampoon me. 

I officially proclaim you Old Fart IV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Fart I   -   Oldvol75
Old Fart II  -   Me
Old Fart III -   Pirate
Old Fart IV -   ReVolver

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:18:16 EDT »

I officially proclaim you Old Fart IV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Fart I   -   Oldvol75
Old Fart II  -   Me
Old Fart III -   Pirate
Old Fart IV -   ReVolver

NFW... midtnvol and TRO are waaaaaaaay (and I mean WAAAAAAYYYY) ahead of me on that list. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: