VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 07:53:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gibson.com's top 50 American rock bands of all time  (Read 10502 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:15:27 EDT »

This list is about a year old, but this is the first I've seen of it.  If this were some two-bit blogger compiling this list, I could overlook the glaring omissions (Hendrix, Dylan, SRV to name a few) but it's not.  It's freaking Gibson, the company that along with Fender, is responsible for about 75% of the guitars we hear on the radio.  Oh, and I'm no big Elvis fan, but doesn't he HAVE to be higher than #47?

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/top-american-bands-0701-2011.aspx

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:40 EDT »

Alright, let me point out the glaring omission...

28 gold albums to date, the most of any American rock band.  But I'm not shocked, KISS has never been taken seriously.  And why, because they don't write deep, meaningful lyrics?  Why can't lyrics about a rock n roll party be "good"?     Gene Simmons discovered Van Halen, for crying out loud.  But I digress.. 40% of that list I've never even heard of (if they're so "good", why were they not more successful?).  Another 40% are a complete and utter bore.  Sorry, but music is not where I expect to find the whys and wherefores of life.  This list is rubbish.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:44 EDT »

Alright, let me point out the glaring omission...

28 gold albums to date, the most of any American rock band.  But I'm not shocked, KISS has never been taken seriously.  And why, because they don't write deep, meaningful lyrics?  Why can't lyrics about a rock n roll party be "good"?     Gene Simmons discovered Van Halen, for crying out loud.  But I digress.. 40% of that list I've never even heard of (if they're so "good", why were they not more successful?).  Another 40% are a complete and utter bore.  Sorry, but music is not where I expect to find the whys and wherefores of life.  This list is rubbish.   

Uh, look at the list again.  Specifically #26.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:31 EDT »

Uh, look at the list again.  Specifically #26.

Vinnie may need to borrow our aging forum boss's contacts.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 02:44:29 EDT »

Vinnie may need to borrow our aging forum boss's contacts.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eTNmSwDt5kc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eTNmSwDt5kc</a>

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:53:57 EDT »

Sigh, my bad.     

Kiss fans are notoriously touchy about their band's cred.  I onced over each page then reacted.  It was prolly seeing Aero at #1 (big rivals with Kiss).  No way Aero should be #1.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:58:14 EDT »

Sigh, my bad.    

Kiss fans are notoriously touchy about their band's cred.  I onced over each page then reacted.  It was prolly seeing Aero at #1 (big rivals with Kiss).  No way Aero should be #1.

Aerosmith is #2.  Still too high for them, IMO.  

IMO, putting The Boss at #1 is probably the only thing they got right.  I know that may sound like blasphemy coming from a red-blooded Southerner.  Sorry.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:03:35 EDT »

Aerosmith is #2.  Still too high for them, IMO.  

IMO, putting The Boss at #1 is probably the only thing they got right.  I know that may sound like blasphemy coming from a red-blooded Southerner.  Sorry.

Sorry, I mean't #2.  No arguing with The Boss though.   
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:21 EDT »

It's hard to rank Aeromith too high.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:31:53 EDT »

Aerosmith is good, don't get me wrong.   Just not in my top 10.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 03:52:52 EDT »

Aerosmith gets top spot on my list just cause they're one of the few bands I listen to regularly. My musical tastes are a little odd. I like some rock but I'm primarily a country/bluegrass/gospel listener and of the rock bands I listen to, I usually only like a few of their songs (Kiss, Poison, Guns & Roses, etc.) The only 3 rock bands I really got hooked on were Aerosmith, AC/DC and Eagle. Eagle is a little obvious...the other two, I have no idea why those two in particular.

So my list would probably be something to the effect of 1.) Aerosmith, 2.) AC/DC, 3.) The Eagles, 4.) Everyone else. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:07:41 EDT by BigOrange Maniac » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 04:05:27 EDT »

I'm not your typical music listener, though. I like some rock but I'm primarily a country/bluegrass/gospel listener. Most of the rock bands I like, I only like  a few songs...Poison, Guns & Roses, Kiss, etc. There are only a couple of bands that I became "fans" of, and those are Aerosmith and AC/DC. Why those two, I don't know. 

I'm with ya.  I can't really explain my fascination with Kiss.. People ask me all the time.  I just know that one day during my college years, fascinated with their appearance, I picked up an album in a used CD store and I loved it. 

I like the stuff you mentioned, too.  In fact, just yesterdays enjoyed the performance of Strong Ties, a gospel bluegrass group from Greene County. 

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 05:28:32 EDT »

I'm with ya.  I can't really explain my fascination with Kiss.. People ask me all the time.  I just know that one day during my college years, fascinated with their appearance, I picked up an album in a used CD store and I loved it.  

I like the stuff you mentioned, too.  In fact, just yesterdays enjoyed the performance of Strong Ties, a gospel bluegrass group from Greene County.  

Never would have pegged you for a bluegrass fan, simply because of your Kiss fandom I will say. Might want to check out Seven Handle Circus  for a fresh bluegrass band.

Being on the back side of 50 metal arrived after some of the best, most influencial music in my lifetime. Lists are lists; while I may love John Hartford, John Prime or the great guitarists like Santana, Duane Allman, Clapton, etc it means nothing to others. Crank what you enjoy.

I will say, BDV always has a great mix for the tailgates! He is the crank master there!

G

And a PS! - Where is Derek and the Dominos?  C'mon!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:59:32 EDT by GreggO » Logged
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 05:33:48 EDT »

No Soundgarden? No Blue Oyster Cult?

Travesty! 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:23:12 EDT »

Elvis is so low because it's his BAND that's rated, not him.  Gotta read the fine print. 

There are some strange bands in the early selections.   I think maybe Boston should be on there, and the Eagles should be higher.

I am not a huge Bruce and the E Street fan, but they really do rock live, so I can maybe see that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 03:56:45 EDT »

KISS is a band that will never get the credit in the music world that they deserve. i.e. RNR Hall of shame.... Still going strong making money hand over fist and have something to show for their money. (2 original members do anyway).  I've met the band before and everybody but the current drummer E. Singer were super nice guys.  Singer...Penis with ears...that's putting is nice.  The band has put out songs that stick with you.  Kinda like when you hear the drum intro to "We Will Rock You" by Queen.  One of those "Oh Yeah" songs!  Rock and Roll All Night is a Rock and Roll anthem!  Too bad the band somewhere along the way pissed off the wrong people.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 05:00:16 EDT »

KISS is a band that will never get the credit in the music world that they deserve. i.e. RNR Hall of shame.... Still going strong making money hand over fist and have something to show for their money. (2 original members do anyway).  I've met the band before and everybody but the current drummer E. Singer were super nice guys.  Singer...Penis with ears...that's putting is nice.  The band has put out songs that stick with you.  Kinda like when you hear the drum intro to "We Will Rock You" by Queen.  One of those "Oh Yeah" songs!  Rock and Roll All Night is a Rock and Roll anthem!  Too bad the band somewhere along the way pissed off the wrong people.

Indeed.  Gene is the only band member I've met.  Rnrhof is a joke.  They're not taken seriously, musically.  And it's a real shame.  You simply can't have the longevity they've had on flash and show alone.  Great songs.  I went to see them just last week in Charlotte and it was a packed house.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 06:58:45 EDT »

I used to work for Gibson. The owner is bat shizzle crazy.
gallavol
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 10:20:12 EDT »

Do you know why Hendrix and Dylan etc are not ranked high in Gibson's top 50? Because they both played "Fender" guitars exclusively.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 11:48:02 EDT »

Hey BOM, Vinnie and others who like bluegrass. You ought to check out a band called the Boxcars. It features Adam Steffey, one of the best mandolin players around, he played with Alison Krauss for many years and was part of Dan Tyminski's band when he formed his own band for a while when Alison was doing her album with Robert Plant. Also Ron Stewart, who is one of the best banjo players around. These guys kick ass, their music has some serious drive to it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 12:44:48 EDT »

Do you know why Hendrix and Dylan etc are not ranked high in Gibson's top 50? Because they both played "Fender" guitars exclusively.

I thought the same thing initially.  But Springsteen plays a Tele almost exclusively when he's with the ESB.  And Van Halen (another band I think is ranked too high) is the band that made the Strat cool.  Hell, Eddie's red and white Strat is probably the most famous guitar of all time.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 02:16:22 EDT »

I am not a huge Bruce and the E Street fan, but they really do rock live, so I can maybe see that.

I was always a casual fan, but I didn't really "get" Springsteen either- until I saw him live.  Greatest live performer who ever lived.  I saw U2 and Dave Matthews Band in their prime.  Those are two other bands that many would consider among the best live acts- but they didn't hold a candle to Bruce, and he was SIXTY when I saw him (and some of the ESB were even older- including CC, who was pushing 70 ).

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 02:39:24 EDT »

On a related note... On of my favorite Kiss songs is called Black Diamond, but I don't think it's about skiing.   
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 02:41:35 EDT »

Darkness will fall on the city   Vinnie
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:33 EDT »

Darkness will fall on the city   Vinnie

Out on the streets for a livin'!  Epicness...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXnx8qF-2i4&amp;feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EXnx8qF-2i4&amp;feature=related</a>
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: