VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 12:00:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it me, or is our offense not looking a lot like a mid-90's Spurrier team?  (Read 4021 times)
10EC
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:33:51 EDT »

Pass to set up the run....

This isn't the type of program I grew up on, but I am willing to give it a chance.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:01:44 EDT »

Different scheme than Spurrier's Florida teams, but that is likely.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
10EC
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:22:49 EDT »

Different scheme than Spurrier's Florida teams, but that is likely.
Curious what you mean by scheme differences...  Spurrier was the Debil in getting the timing on those fade routes down to milliseconds.  It was sick as an opposing fan to watch, but really impressive.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:30:24 EDT »

Curious what you mean by scheme differences...  Spurrier was the Debil in getting the timing on those fade routes down to milliseconds.  It was sick as an opposing fan to watch, but really impressive.

Everything in Spurrier's offense was about timing and throwing to spots. They had some special WRs but they weren't the big, strong, beat man coverage type of wideout. The Vols this year will do a lot of short stuff in the middle trying to get good matchups with speed and size and they will throw vertical. Tyler is going to throw it up and let receivers make plays. Spurrier never allowed his QBs to do that because their receivers weren't those type of receivers.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
10EC
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:36:50 EDT »

Everything in Spurrier's offense was about timing and throwing to spots. They had some special WRs but they weren't the big, strong, beat man coverage type of wideout. The Vols this year will do a lot of short stuff in the middle trying to get good matchups with speed and size and they will throw vertical. Tyler is going to throw it up and let receivers make plays. Spurrier never allowed his QBs to do that because their receivers weren't those type of receivers.
Gotcha.  Makes sense.  thanks
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:40:33 EDT »

They had a show on ESPNU, I believe, about the 1992 SEC championship game and a simple route combo that Florida abused all game long. It was the smash or hi-lo concept, where two men were on the short side of the field, and the outside guy ran a stop/hitch and the inside guy ran a corner. Alabama's cornerback either had to guess and risk giving up a big play or split the difference and make both routes somewhat open. Florida ate Bama's lunch repeatedly on that simple combo until Antonio Langham finally decided to guess on the hitch and got a pick six that won the game. That easily could have been a big play for Florida instead, had Matthews read Langham better.

At any rate, I think that story exemplifies what Spurrier was all about-- simple routes, simple reads, and timing, all designed to force the defense into an extremely difficult field to cover. It didn't take a great QB or great WR, which was good for FL because they didn't always have either.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 05:57:58 EDT »

I just want for us to be able to run the ball effectively, whether the percentage of run plays is 20% or 80%. I would prefer an offense that was a smash-mouth, pound-the-rock, eat-up-the-clock and wear-down-the-D type. But I know that's not what we're going to put on the field. So be it. We do have a lot of weapons at WR and TE and a QB that has the potential to be very good. But for us to win, we're going to have to be able to run in certain situations. We're going to have to run to be able to keep the D honest and off-balance, so they won't just be able to focus on rusing the passer. Last year we averaged a pathetic 2.8 YPC. If we can get that up to at least 4.0, it will do a lot to take the pressure off the passing game.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 06:07:20 EDT »

I just want for us to be able to run the ball effectively, whether the percentage of run plays is 20% or 80%. I would prefer an offense that was a smash-mouth, pound-the-rock, eat-up-the-clock and wear-down-the-D type. But I know that's not what we're going to put on the field. So be it. We do have a lot of weapons at WR and TE and a QB that has the potential to be very good. But for us to win, we're going to have to be able to run in certain situations. We're going to have to run to be able to keep the D honest and off-balance, so they won't just be able to focus on rusing the passer. Last year we averaged a pathetic 2.8 YPC. If we can get that up to at least 4.0, it will do a lot to take the pressure off the passing game.

Agreed. Even if the run is secondary, 4.0 YPC or greater will be acceptable. You have to be able to run to close out games when you get a lead.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:19:39 EDT »

Have to be able to line up and punch it in at the goal line and on 3rd and 1 especially late in the game.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 02:36:55 EDT »

Having at least a semblence of a run game is definitely the key to our offense this season.

What I fear is that Chaney just doesn't emphasize it enough in practice or to the team.  Leadership does matter, and if the team senses Chaney doesn't give a rip about the run game, you can pretty much expect the performance to follow.  I just hope that Dooley and the new staff counter any bias he might have, or that he gets a clue and really stresses it this year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: