VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 01:20:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little moment for history  (Read 2146 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:33:40 EDT »

From the 1920 Volunteer Yearbook:

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:38:35 EDT »

My favorite line is "...located between Estabrook Hall...". That place is ancient.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:44:13 EDT »

My favorite line is "...located between Estabrook Hall...". That place is ancient.

Hopefully Estabrook will be gone in the next few years. Obviously there is some history there, as the original building goes back to 1898 I think, but with the dozen or so additions it's been reduced to a POS of epic proportions. It's also a 4-story building on a slab . . . no real foundations to speak of. I have to go in there every now and then as we have some Engineering offices in there, and every time I feel like I need to rush to get out. I feel like it's going to collapse on me.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 05:06:35 EDT »

Speaking of Estabrook . . . it is one of only a handful of buildings in this pic that are still around. This was 1926, five years after Ayres Hall was built. You can see Estabrook to the right of Shields-Watkins and South College just in front of Ayres. I believe Strong Hall had just opened, but it's a bit harder to identify where it is from this pic. Supposedly there's an old Carriage House on White Avenue that dates back to around the same time as South College, but again I don't know how to find it in this pic. Can anybody find the strip for me? 

I think the building with the small tower to the right of Ayres is the old Science Hall, and I believe that's where the Science and Engineering Research Facility is now. I'm not sure what that was behind it. I think the two buildings you see between the football field and Ayres are gone . . . replaced by Alumni Gym and probably the Hesler biology building.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:31:57 EDT »

One more . . . the original Estabrook Hall in 1899, the year after it was built. From this spot now the building would look quite different, and you'd see the massive support structure for the skyboxes behind it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: