VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 10:29:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have an announcement regarding the board  (Read 19685 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:53:06 EDT »

I've given this a lot of thought and I think now is the right time to put this out there.

I love this board and the community we have, but I'm at the point in my life where I don't want to own it and admin it anymore. I will admit that part of it is that Tennessee is not good, and as board owner it sucks that I feel required to log in and check the board even when I don't want to read about Tennessee, but that's only a small part of the problem. Mostly, it's just that I don't feel like I am doing the site justice. I am too busy with work and life to redo the board and go after new members and really market it as it deserves to be marketed. I had a vision for what I wanted to do with it when I moved away from the Mudduck and I'm ashamed to say that once I got the board up, all development on that front stopped. What we have now is a board that is static and not seeking out new people to post and a board that is not welcoming to opposing fans, so it's a slowly dying board. At least three longtime members have left recently, one of them is TRO, a man who I consider to be one of my closest friends and confidants. And I don't blame any of them for leaving. I think that we're in a situation where familiarity breeds contempt.

That being said, I don't want to see VTTW die. I have made many great friends here, laughed a lot of laughs, and cried a lot of real tears over this place. I can honestly say that my experience as a Tennessee fan has been heightened by the experience of owning this place. But when I was 21, I was willing to sacrifice a lot of time for the sake of my hobby, and now... I just have too much going on to do it justice, and I'm not going to make time to further the site or maintain it.

What I'm doing here is announcing that in the near future, I will be stepping away from VTTW as owner and admin. I don't have a date for that yet. What I would like to see is for someone else... a board member, or not, it doesn't matter, step up and take it over and be willing to put the time into it that it deserves. I will give it away for free to someone who cares about it and wants to see it flourish. If you are interested in doing this, PM me. I will take "applications" for the next few weeks of people who want to take it over and once those all seem to be in, I will make a decision that is in the best interests of the site. If nobody is willing to take it on, sadly VTTW will be no more. If it continues to stay up, I will continue to be a member and drop in from time to time.

I have come close to doing this a couple of times. The first time I changed servers and bought another four years. The second time was this past offseason when I let the VTTW.net domain expire (accidentally) and then realized that it didn't even matter to anybody but TRO who was still using his vttw.net email addy. But then the board fees autorenewed so I thought, let's see what happens. One thing I'm a firm believer in is when you know something is the right call, you have to make that call. Six months ago I wanted to make this post but it didn't feel right. Today, with the same information, it feels right.

I hope that all of you know that I am not making this decision flippantly or lightly. VTTW has been a huge part of my life for 14 years. I'm only 37 years old. Almost 40% of my life, I've owned this board. This board has truly helped me through some of the toughest times a person can have in life, and almost none of you even know about those times. I saved my marriage from the brink of divorce twice while owning this board. I've dealt with some extremely personal issues with my parents while owning this board. This board was a big part of the excitement for me when my children were born. There were times in my life, especially in the first 5 years of the board's existence, where I doubted if I could be a success and this board was something I could look at and use to believe in myself.

I hope this is not too depressing for people. If someone who cares about it will step up, I believe that VTTW can be a dynamic place. I just think my time as the driver of the car has run its course, and one way or another, it's time for a change.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:06:03 EDT by ReVOLver » Logged

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:09:18 EDT »

That is a bummer.  If was still at my old job I'd apply in a heartbeat.

I hope someone steps up.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:13:42 EDT »

All I have to say is Thankee, sai.  I have met some of the most awesome people I know because of this board and several members helped me get through my divorce.  It has always been more than just a message board.   
10EC
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:16:25 EDT »

Jeff, first and foremost.  Thank You for a lot of wonderful memories here. 

Second, what does it take in terms of a) web knowledge and b) admin time?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:19:44 EDT »

Jeff, first and foremost.  Thank You for a lot of wonderful memories here. 

Second, what does it take in terms of a) web knowledge and b) admin time?

a) The person doing the technical work will need to have moderate web knowledge. Once the basic setups are done, most of these forums are built so a novice can do it, but the board and the main site are in need of an overhaul. I can gladly walk people through the basics of the setup as it is now.

b) That's completely up to the person who takes it over. I spend almost zero admin time. That's the problem.

A partnership between multiple people is the right way to go. Ideally to really push it, you have somebody who understands web marketing and someone who is technologically inclined. I tried to do both and I'm good at both but also lazy and unmotivated.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:05 EDT »

One other qualifier to throw in there for anybody who might be interested... I currently foot the bill for the board. I HATE fundraising, and would rather just pay for it than ask for money and coordinate that, and it's not that expensive. However, there will be a small financial commitment for anybody who decides to take it over, unless they have funding or plan to do advertising. I don't even remember how much it is but it's not much. I will look it up if I get any inquiries.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:37 EDT »

Thanks a ton for providing a great place to discuss the Vols and/or food/yards/who-knows-what. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time and effort you've poured into VTTW. I realize I don't know the half of it.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:55 EDT »

a) The person doing the technical work will need to have moderate web knowledge. Once the basic setups are done, most of these forums are built so a novice can do it, but the board and the main site are in need of an overhaul. I can gladly walk people through the basics of the setup as it is now.

b) That's completely up to the person who takes it over. I spend almost zero admin time. That's the problem.

A partnership between multiple people is the right way to go. Ideally to really push it, you have somebody who understands web marketing and someone who is technologically inclined. I tried to do both and I'm good at both but also lazy and unmotivated.

I'm probably unqualified on all counts, but I will help in any capacity I can on a part-time basis.  Unlike most boards, we're mostly all adults here who have jobs, so sharing the burden is definitely the way to go.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:28:49 EDT »

I'm probably unqualified on all counts, but I will help in any capacity I can on a part-time basis.  Unlike most boards, we're mostly all adults here who have jobs, so sharing the burden is definitely the way to go.

Pretty much my POV also

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 10:31:42 EDT »

People could also petition Mud and Wayne to get back on the Mudduck which would allow for a less technical owner, but it would be VERY expensive per month.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:32:09 EDT »

This place has meant a great deal to a significant number of people. I certainly count myself among them and know I have lifelong friends from being a part of this community. I have no intention to stop participating no matter who owns it, but my posting and reading rate is substantially less than it once was . . . a sign of the times.

In the end, all you have to ask yourself is if your involvement over the years has been worth it. I doubt you'll find any regular who spent any significant time on the board or met other regulars in person who could come remotely close to answering "no" . . . even those who stopped coming for one reason or another. I know what your answer would be too, ReVOLver, and you've invested much more of yourself than anyone else. It's been worth it.

But things run their course, and I don't blame you for how you feel today. I can empathize to some small degree via my experience with The BruceBall Blog. At some point it's just not right for you anymore no matter how much you've enjoyed it.

On to another chapter.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 10:35:17 EDT »

Let me clarify... I had a LOT of downtime at my old job and now I'm just really busy throughout the day.

Also, thanks Jeff.  I'll reiterate what Lyn said, that this is more than just a sports board.  This is a community of friends where we share laughs, tears, and go to each other for trusted advice.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 10:49:28 EDT »

It's been a great clubhouse to hang out. I'm sure that's it's also been a pain at times for you. I can't imagine going to any other board and becoming a regular there. I hardly ever post on either of the Mudduck boards and the general attitude on the other Vol boards isn't really appealing. After all, what other board would allow a wine post?

If someone manages to keep it going, I'll support it, including financially.

I appreciate you putting up with it (and us) for as long as you have.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:26 EDT »

It's been a great clubhouse to hang out. I'm sure that's it's also been a pain at times for you. I can't imagine going to any other board and becoming a regular there. I hardly ever post on either of the Mudduck boards and the general attitude on the other Vol boards isn't really appealing. After all, what other board would allow a wine post?

If someone manages to keep it going, I'll support it, including financially.

I appreciate you putting up with it (and us) for as long as you have.

Gahh!!!  Not sure what I would do without the Wine Post and Friday Reminders! 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 12:28:16 EDT »

Thanks for your honesty. Like others, I'm appreciative of all the sacrifi es you've made and I wish nothing but the best for you.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:51 EDT »

Thanks Jeff.

I had thought this day was coming, based upon your posts over the last few.

Glad you want to keept the board running, it is a community.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 12:33:11 EDT »

The worst part is that in order to keep up with my VTTW friends I'll have to it on the devil Facebook.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 12:51:09 EDT »

Well, I hope someone steps up. This is a good board.

CONSIGLIEREG8R
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 04:33:08 EDT »

Damn, that is a shame.  Hope the board survives in some form or fashion. I have enjoyed lurking and poasting from time to time.   

If for some reason it doesn't, I read Droner's poast but I'd take him as a first round supplemental wine draft pick.  We need someone to keep BBG honest!  javascript:void(0);
VOLveeta
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 05:15:40 EDT »

You're a generous fellow and host.  Thanks for letting us into your house for such a long and lovely party.   

yer pal™,
VOLveeta
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 06:09:01 EDT »

When we 1st got online in our house and I started looking for UT sites to see what was out there this was one of the 1st places I found. I liked it because it was not full of snot nosed punks. While people had opinions they for the most part had respect for each other. Typically it is the 1st site I check in the mornings. I understand the need to stop, as our lives progress priorities change and we think differently.

Maybe someone with the savvy and time will continue the site and put their spin on it as would be expected. I have enjoyed my time here.
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 02:26:44 EDT »

Thank you Jeff for the years of providing a place for friends to meet. Lynn is right, this is more than a sport's site, it family. I hope it can continue.
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 07:31:37 EDT »

I have been a lurker/biannual (lol) poster here for many years.  I used to post more frequently.  Like the rest here it would be hard to have to let VTTW go.  It is a little like the one rational fan at an away game that sits down right next to you and makes the whole experience tolerable in a sea of irrational fools.  That's VTTW... the rational knowledgable vol site (that has a life outside football- well, kinda at least).  You need look no further than what happened to Gridscape to see the other end of the spectrum.  No matter what happens, I want to sincerely thank you for all your time, effort, sweat, blood and tears you have poured into this.  It made the world a little better place.  Peace volbrother...

--FV
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:08 EDT »

I have been a lurker/biannual (lol) poster here for many years.  I used to post more frequently.  Like the rest here it would be hard to have to let VTTW go.  It is a little like the one rational fan at an away game that sits down right next to you and makes the whole experience tolerable in a sea of irrational fools.  That's VTTW... the rational knowledgable vol site (that has a life outside football- well, kinda at least).  You need look no further than what happened to Gridscape to see the other end of the spectrum.  No matter what happens, I want to sincerely thank you for all your time, effort, sweat, blood and tears you have poured into this.  It made the world a little better place.  Peace volbrother...

--FV

Well put.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 08:36:24 EDT »

--FV

Great post.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: