VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 01:13:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Georgia run game defense  (Read 3056 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:25:45 EDT »

I went back and looked at the tape.  DD said we didn't "set the edge" very well.  Well here are the top 10 runs by uga and who was "on the edge" (the edge of the line), and how it turned out.  I added quite a bit for the three longest runs.

1. 75 yard TD run - sweep to left side of uga line - Maggitt was on the edge - he went inside - there was probably a hold but the on another LB, probably Gathers, couldn't get his number, but that's immaterial.  Brewer was the sole deep safety, took a horrible angle and was way slow getting there.  Should have been a 7-8 yard run without the hold (Lathers(?) shirt practically came off) and maybe 15 if Brewer does a bit better.

2.  72 yard TD run - Murray goes left again, Miller is on the edge and got pushed outside, and after that no one even got close.  The team did look gassed, they had been on the field quite a bit at this point.  This was the most disappointing run, the one in the third quarter.  I was like "really?, AGAIN? we suck and deserve to lose"   

3.  51 yard TD run - No. 58, Walls was on the edge and correctly read the run as inside, but Gurley adjusted and went outside.  I didn't think Marlon played it that badly actually.  But this was the one where half the defensive backfield was either jogging from behind because they expected others to make the play (AJ and Brewer) or missing tackles (Moore,  and no. 27).  I don't think setting the edge was the problem here, it was the complete horse shizzle lack of tackling after the runner got past the line.  Probably the most embarrassing play of a long, embarrassing day for the D.   

4. 13 yard run by Gurley to the left. Bohanan was setting the edge and got taken completely out of the play.

5.  12 yard run on first drive to left - Miller set the edge, went inside, and no LB was in position to the outside to cover it when he did.  Apparent alignment issue.

6.  8 yard run on first drive to left by Marlon Brown - Miller set the edge, went inside, and AJ was actually in position but got blocked by the FB.  AJ probably could have taken a better angle. 

7. 8 yard run on first drive to left, Miller went inside and no one was in position to cover - apparent alignment issue.

8. 7 yard sweep to right on first play of game.  Sentimore set the edge and went inside, couldn't see much beyond that, camera angle bad.

9. 7 yard run to left by Marshall.  Miller set the edge, crashed inside, and AJ was too deep to stop the play any sooner.

10.  5 yard run on first drive by Gurley left.  Once again, Miller went inside and AJ was in a bad place to stop the run any sooner, but did limit it to five.

General observation...if a DL or LB "setting the edge" is going to take the inside gap, then the LB needs to be in a better position to get outside.  Numerous times, our "edge" guy took the outside gap and the LB filled the inside gap just fine.  I guess that's what DD meant by not setting the edge right and alignment issues.

Another observation...the 11th best run was for 5 yards, and the others were all for less including  four for no gain and SEVEN for negative yards (though one of those was a kneel-down). 

So it seems our D CAN play some run D if they want to, but maybe just not all the time.

It sounds pretty ridiculous to say, but if we can avoid giving up three long TD runs (or any, lol) to MSU, we might just beat them.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:31:05 EDT »

General observation -   you should take up video gaming.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 05:28:58 EDT »

General observation -   you should take up video gaming.

lol.  Whatever.  I felt like doing the analysis and and I did.  I do video game, but it's bored me for quite a while now.  Frankly, it's more appropriate for 17 and 14 year olds IMO.

You know, kind of like listening to KISS.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 05:35:02 EDT »

lol.  Whatever.  I felt like doing the analysis and and I did.  I do video game, but it's bored me for quite a while now.  Frankly, it's more appropriate for 17 and 14 year olds IMO.

You know, kind of like listening to KISS.   

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:18:23 EDT »

KEEP KISS OUT OF THIS CONVERSATION
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:46:50 EDT »

KEEP KISS OUT OF THIS CONVERSATION

Everyone knows KISS is for old souls.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:56:34 EDT »

I went back and looked at the tape.  DD said we didn't "set the edge" very well.  Well here are the top 10 runs by uga and who was "on the edge" (the edge of the line), and how it turned out.  I added quite a bit for the three longest runs.

1. 75 yard TD run - sweep to left side of uga line - Maggitt was on the edge - he went inside - there was probably a hold but the on another LB, probably Gathers, couldn't get his number, but that's immaterial.  Brewer was the sole deep safety, took a horrible angle and was way slow getting there.  Should have been a 7-8 yard run without the hold (Lathers(?) shirt practically came off) and maybe 15 if Brewer does a bit better.

2.  72 yard TD run - Murray goes left again, Miller is on the edge and got pushed outside, and after that no one even got close.  The team did look gassed, they had been on the field quite a bit at this point.  This was the most disappointing run, the one in the third quarter.  I was like "really?, AGAIN? we suck and deserve to lose"   

3.  51 yard TD run - No. 58, Walls was on the edge and correctly read the run as inside, but Gurley adjusted and went outside.  I didn't think Marlon played it that badly actually.  But this was the one where half the defensive backfield was either jogging from behind because they expected others to make the play (AJ and Brewer) or missing tackles (Moore,  and no. 27).  I don't think setting the edge was the problem here, it was the complete horse shizzle lack of tackling after the runner got past the line.  Probably the most embarrassing play of a long, embarrassing day for the D.   

4. 13 yard run by Gurley to the left. Bohanan was setting the edge and got taken completely out of the play.

5.  12 yard run on first drive to left - Miller set the edge, went inside, and no LB was in position to the outside to cover it when he did.  Apparent alignment issue.

6.  8 yard run on first drive to left by Marlon Brown - Miller set the edge, went inside, and AJ was actually in position but got blocked by the FB.  AJ probably could have taken a better angle. 

7. 8 yard run on first drive to left, Miller went inside and no one was in position to cover - apparent alignment issue.

8. 7 yard sweep to right on first play of game.  Sentimore set the edge and went inside, couldn't see much beyond that, camera angle bad.

9. 7 yard run to left by Marshall.  Miller set the edge, crashed inside, and AJ was too deep to stop the play any sooner.

10.  5 yard run on first drive by Gurley left.  Once again, Miller went inside and AJ was in a bad place to stop the run any sooner, but did limit it to five.

General observation...if a DL or LB "setting the edge" is going to take the inside gap, then the LB needs to be in a better position to get outside.  Numerous times, our "edge" guy took the outside gap and the LB filled the inside gap just fine.  I guess that's what DD meant by not setting the edge right and alignment issues.

Another observation...the 11th best run was for 5 yards, and the others were all for less including  four for no gain and SEVEN for negative yards (though one of those was a kneel-down). 

So it seems our D CAN play some run D if they want to, but maybe just not all the time.

It sounds pretty ridiculous to say, but if we can avoid giving up three long TD runs (or any, lol) to MSU, we might just beat them.   

A few more details on the 3 long TD runs:
1. 75 yard TD:  5 man front (OLB up as ends) 2 LB (Lathers & AJ), Moore up on the edge, single safety Brewer at the snap.  The center pulls and engages AJ, RT engages Moore, Maggitt crashes in from the RDE spot, the RG engages Lathers, who does not shed the block.  This is the key block that sprung the play initially.  Then Brewer is too slow and takes a bad angle to boot.

2. 51 yard TD: 5 man front again, Moore single safety back side, Brewer essentially play LB.  Nobody sets the edge.  Maggitt crashes in to get blocked by the FB, Brewer chases the WR coming out of the backfield but despite staring into the backfield does not see Gurley coming at him with the ball.  AJ get caught inside and is late to the party. Lathers just takes himself out of the play.  Moore and Coleman takes a bad angles and after a good pursuit Wagner then essentially engages the blockers instead of the RB.  Zero good plays by the D.  Their motion with the WR caused LAthers to change the defense which also could have been a factor.

3.  72 yard TD:  UGA in a formation they tended to pass from.  4 man front, 2 LBs, single safety with Moore us as a LB.  Gordon on the slot, corners in man.  Moore blitzs from the back side, no factor.  Lathers again takes himself out of the play, AJ doesn't shed a block and McNeil as the single safety flat whiffs, result TD.

The key to all three plays is we were in single safety,  OLBs on the LOS and the inside LBs were no shows in making plays.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 08:50:23 EDT »

Georgia's run defense sucks. Georgia will lose to Florida and finish 10-2. Georgia will lose another Bowl game(probably Outback Bowl) and have a final record of 10-3.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: