VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 01:53:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As a minimum, Sal must go IMMEDIATELY  (Read 2220 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:35:07 EDT »

This discussion is for the narrow focus of, hopefully, having a winning season

To give him some credit, the defense did improve.  Insted of giving up 50-77 yard plays we only gave up 20-30 yard plays ...

Why?
Schematically he is not puttng the players in a position to make plays
Like groundhog day, the same errors are repeated over and over, and over, and ...
Wrong alignment errors
wrong gap reads
wrong coverages
miscommunication between LB and DB
Except for the DL little or no improvement
Exception was J. Smith had perhaps his best overall game as a VOL last night.  He showed the aggression that he has lacked previously.  Also McNeil played OK.  His inexperience cost us on occasion but he did fly to the ball.
Regression in tackling - last night we had a player come up to make a play, had a lane to the ball carrier but slowed up and WAITED to get blocked.  A series or 2 later a MSU safety showed how it should have been done.
Inability to communicate who is the.one.and.only.skill.player,that.MSU.will.go.to.when.the.game.is.on.the.line -on the last drive, when we had the to make a stop how many times was #1 covered?  BTW, till that drive Gordon was the primary shadow for him.

It got to be a joke last night - pre snap I would guess where AJ and Herman would go, usually pretty accurately.  Not real difficult as they repeatedly would do the same things over and over.  Since the OLB(s) are playing as lineman >90% of the time they are the only LBs but usually are not playing as LBs.  On running plays they usually play the part of blocking sled.  On passing plays they usually play the part of a Matadore, followed by oh #$%#$

Maggitt might as well be moved to DE, as that is what he plays >90% of the time.
I thought one of the advantages of the 3-4 was surprise in who was blitzing on any given lplay.  But is you consistently put both your OLBs on the LOS that kind of negates that premise doesn't it?
Overall our LBs are too slow to play this scheme.  Yet at least one who does have the speed to play it hasn't seen the field as a defensive player in at least three games though he played well early in the season while the players ahead of him consistently fail to make plays.

Bottom line is that yes I know it takes a year or so to impliment a new scheme but in the first year one would expect to see improvement and what we have seen is no improvement, with a side order of regression.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:22:28 EDT »

I agree with you,PirateVol! Tennessee's defense is starting to look like Georgia Tech's

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 03:30:50 EDT »

We may not have great talent, but we have better talent than we've had on D in at least three years. There's no excuse to be this bad.

At least it's potluck day at church, AND my wife has made her green beans wrapped in bacon and coated with butter and brown sugar. Mmm. I can smell them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:33:25 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:26 EDT »

We may not have great talent, but we have better talent than we've had on D in at least three years. There's no excuse to be this bad.

At least it's potluck day at church, AND my wife has made her green beans wrapped in bacon and coated with butter and brown sugar. Mmm. I can smell them.

Got any Ham,can't have Church potluck without baked ham!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:43:19 EDT »

From where we sat last night, which was the very top row of the stadium, I could see each play unfold in it's entirety

My impression in the first half was that we came ready to stop the run, period dot.  Recall we gave up 282 to Uga and ~355 to UF on the ground.  The worst run D since 1988, and maybe worse.

MSU was not as good as either of those teams at running the ball, but we held them below their season average in the game, and their run game was not that effective in the first half.

Obviously the problem in the first half was that they were throwing the ball at will.  The really interesting thing to me, from my seat, was that I could see obvious adjustments we made in the second half.

We gave their WRs far less cushion.  That was the most obvious change, and it worked like a charm.  We forced four straight punts to start the second half, after forcing ZERO the first half, and for the half, their QB was only 8-14 for 97 yards after going 17-23 for 194 in the first half.  Even better, on the first four drives, which we stopped, he was 3-8 for 25 yards.    Too bad we couldn't keep him there for one more drive at the end.  

Now for the really interesting part.  After the Devron Young fumble, we came out in the same look we played in the first half (ie, 7-8 yard cushion on their WRs), and Tyler Russell (MSU QB) promptly threw a 23 yard strike over the middle.  The team simply was not in the formation it had been the entire second half.  Once again, they were giving the WRs way too much cushion.

The difference between the two formations in terms of performance on the D side of the ball was like night/day.  We made some really good adjustments at the half.

Having said that, should we have been caught so off guard in the first half by their passing D?

Long story short...we simply were unprepared to cover their passing game in the first half, probably because they have showed a tendency to be a run-first team earlier this season and because we spent most of the last two weeks focusing on the run D.  We made some great adjustments at half time, but did not stick with them on the drive after the fumble, probably due to carelessness by the team and the failure of the coaches to call a TO to fix it.

Let me also say that in their last drive, I mean not the fumble but the one to end the game, we did go back to the better formation. We really were only away from it one drive, but they did just enough on that last drive to win the game, unfortunately.

Here's how I see it...first half 27 points by the 7:46 mark of the second quarter ( ).  Second half, 14 total points, 7 of them on a short field from a fumble, and really only one true drive the entire half.

Holding them to one legit drive per half, would have worked, had we played it that way the whole game.  Holding them on that last drive might also have worked, provided we score after getting the ball.  

But FWIW, we did make some good adjustments on D at the half, from where I sat  in the stadium, which was pretty much the Good Year blimp view.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:34:33 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: