VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 11:40:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there anything between the lines or is Hart just stating the obvious?  (Read 20215 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 05:24:52 EDT »

I always see where you are coming from with this, but just like with Petrino, I'd caution you against getting too personally invested against a coach. I'd hate to see such loyal, passionate Vol fans have to turn on their team because of who the coach is.

I agree with Pirate, not because I followed Gruden at Tampa, but because he looks like a Kiffin redux to me.  A young, kind of brash guy to placate some of the younger fanbase and allegedly help with recruiting.  I do think he has a lot more character than Kiffin and would be more loyal, but that's a pretty low bar to meet.   

But the primary reason I don't want him is because he's never done it at the college level.  How good was Saban at Miami?  Do you know another former NFL coach...that was SUCCESSFUL, mind you, that jumped to college and "got er done"?  I sure don't. 

Carroll had great success at USC but was not so great in the NFL.  He went to the playoffs one year at New England with Parcell's players and then spiralled down, and previously lasted only a year with the Jets.

But look what he did at USC.   Seems to be having success at Seattle, but they lost last night.  Mayb they continue to lose.... - Carroll is clearly as good a coach as Saban IMO.

But to my main point...we don't need an NFL coach.  If everyone is saying go big or go home, Gruden's not the answer IMO.

Of course, one could turn that around and say Gruden, like Carrol,l is a FAILED NFL coach.   

But I see him as Kiffin 2.0 without the baggage. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 05:33:48 EDT »

I really have no idea of anyone in particular I would like to see as coach. I just want someone who will make us tough as nails and get some talent in. I want UT to be hated again by the rest of the CFB world especially SEC teams.     

Just wishing for something or endlessly repeating "it's been three years" or assuming that a coaching change will fix everything is what caused this problem to begin with.

IMO the optimal time to make a change is next year for a number of reasons, but I will support whoever the coach is.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 05:34:06 EDT »

Why do you hate us?

Hate? Hell, I'd like UT to get Petrino. I know BDV won't like it, but he can get us winning again. If he leaves in a couple of years, so be it, at least he will get us back winning, and get the ship righted. I know he has baggage and isn't the most moral guy, but I don't care if he has relations with 15 women at the same time, he can flat out coach. I'm interested in UT's football team getting better. UT could hire him with serious clauses in his contract about his behavior.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 05:41:20 EDT »

I agree with Pirate, not because I followed Gruden at Tampa, but because he looks like a Kiffin redux to me.  A young, kind of brash guy to placate some of the younger fanbase and allegedly help with recruiting.  I do think he has a lot more character than Kiffin and would be more loyal, but that's a pretty low bar to meet.   

But the primary reason I don't want him is because he's never done it at the college level.  How good was Saban at Miami?  Do you know another former NFL coach...that was SUCCESSFUL, mind you, that jumped to college and "got er done"?  I sure don't. 

Carroll had great success at USC but was not so great in the NFL.  He went to the playoffs one year at New England with Parcell's players and then spiralled down, and previously lasted only a year with the Jets.

But look what he did at USC.   Seems to be having success at Seattle, but they lost last night.  Mayb they continue to lose.... - Carroll is clearly as good a coach as Saban IMO.

But to my main point...we don't need an NFL coach.  If everyone is saying go big or go home, Gruden's not the answer IMO.

Of course, one could turn that around and say Gruden, like Carrol,l is a FAILED NFL coach.   

But I see him as Kiffin 2.0 without the baggage. 

I can't say I disagree with you... I don't know if Gruden is the answer either. I'm not saying that he would be successful. I don't know for sure. But, if there is a "go big or keep the guy you have" mentality, who else is out there that is a big name that we could get?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 05:43:49 EDT »

Another thing.   I don't even know who Feldman is, I would assume he's a twitter-er of Vol stuff, but anyone who thinks Dooley will be fired if he beats bammer and then loses to USCe is a gigantic, flaming MO-RON.

OMFG.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 05:45:47 EDT »

I can't say I disagree with you... I don't know if Gruden is the answer either. I'm not saying that he would be successful. I don't know for sure. But, if there is a "go big or keep the guy you have" mentality, who else is out there that is a big name that we could get?

Root against Seatlle with all your might, wait a year, and get Carroll.   

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 05:54:29 EDT »

I too think Petrino is headed to AU, but I'd sell him hard on UT's QB situation which seems to be far ahead of the Tigers' at this point. That's worth a couple of years.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 06:03:55 EDT »

Just wishing for something or endlessly repeating "it's been three years" or assuming that a coaching change will fix everything is what caused this problem to begin with.

IMO the optimal time to make a change is next year for a number of reasons, but I will support whoever the coach is.

I am not disagreeing but it was obvious we needed to make a change with Fulmer as he had lost his fire and his biggest asset Cutcliffe. Both of those together were much better together than apart. Kiffin was an awful hire and while Dooley has been better it does not look like he has the "it" factor to make "it" happen at UT. Not because its been three years but because of the same fundamental flaws you see with every team he has had.

The truth is I suspect he was hired because no big name wanted the job with the roster we had, and he was a southern guy. He could at least speak the language and understood the culture. The other truth is he was/is inexperienced at the being the head guy and has been on a learning curve the whole time. No doubt he has learned a lot and in time (3-4 more years) we may be in contention for the SECC but he may not can lead us there. That is what is driving all of this speculation. The natives would not be nearly as restless if he was a big name coach, but he isn't.

If he stays for 20 more years and we never win more than 8 games a year I will still be a VOL fan. I will be a disgruntled and disappointed Vol fan but a fan nonetheless.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 06:06:25 EDT »

Root against Seatlle with all your might, wait a year, and get Carroll.   

You need to be poked in the eye for that comment. Talk about Kiffin 2.0......my gosh Kiffin learned from him.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 06:15:06 EDT »

You need to be poked in the eye for that comment. Talk about Kiffin 2.0......my gosh Kiffin learned from him.   

Well that is the drawback.  The ncaa thing might follow him.  But if anything kiffin would be carroll 2 0 except that he isnt half the coach carroll is

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 06:19:35 EDT »

Well that is the drawback.  The ncaa thing might follow him.  But if anything kiffin would be carroll 2 0 except that he isnt half the coach carroll is

I won't argue he is a better coach than kiffin but still......you need to be poked in the eye for that. Just go ahead and poke yourself in the eye. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 06:57:35 EDT »

why must we go "big"
The REAL requirement is a coach who would win, why limit ourselves with a "splash" hire?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 07:15:14 EDT »

why must we go "big"
The REAL requirement is a coach who would win, why limit ourselves with a "splash" hire?

I think that any hire of a big name OR of a proven coach who has been a coordinator in the league (think Charlie strong) would be a pretty big splash.

Otherwise just stick with the guy who won't cheat and who brings in guys that stuck around.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 07:16:22 EDT »

Another thing.   I don't even know who Feldman is, I would assume he's a twitter-er of Vol stuff, but anyone who thinks Dooley will be fired if he beats bammer and then loses to USCe is a gigantic, flaming MO-RON.

OMFG.

Bruce Feldman? I thought you did research.

The way he said it was that he had been told that, not that it was his opinion.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 07:18:34 EDT »

Bruce Feldman? I thought you did research.

The way he said it was that he had been told that, not that it was his opinion.

Yeah, those guys sound like they've been told stuff, and then prove to be wrong.

I would just about bet my house that if Dooley beats bammer he sticks around, short of losing half his remaining games.

And I hope I have the opportunity to make that bet.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 07:19:22 EDT »

I won't argue he is a better coach than kiffin but still......you need to be poked in the eye for that. Just go ahead and poke yourself in the eye. 

Sounds like you just want me to be poked in the eye, lol.

I take it you don't like Carroll? 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 07:28:54 EDT »

I think that any hire of a big name OR of a proven coach who has been a coordinator in the league (think Charlie strong) would be a pretty big splash.

glad you mentioned the last.
My view the following would be a good path:
How did the coach do as a position coach?  Did the players improve and were they consistent? Who was his OC and HC?

How did he do as a coordinator?  Did his players improve and were they consistent?  Who was his HC?  If he had hiring privileges, who did he hire?

As a HC did the team improved?  How did they compete?  How quickly were staff/team issues resolved?  What were his hires, how successful we're they?  If a HC for a time period were any of his assistance hired elsewhere successful?
How was the discipline of his teams, were they disciplined?  If an unusual offense/defense is used how well does our current personnel match the scheme?

I believe a more up and coming coach who evaluates well to those questions would have success here.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 07:30:46 EDT »

I don't know anyone that would want Pete Carroll to come to UT. I haven't taken a poll but I think you'd find more support for Bobby Petrino, and that says something.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 07:44:49 EDT »

I don't know anyone that would want Pete Carroll to come to UT. I haven't taken a poll but I think you'd find more support for Bobby Petrino, and that says something.

Really?  Well I guess Petrino has never been in *NCAA* trouble, but if you want a winner, there is no one better out there.

It's probably a strong function of him being a "Yankee" also.  Southerners.....pfffffft

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 08:12:19 EDT »

It's probably a strong function of him being a "Yankee" also.  Southerners.....pfffffft

This one you've pulled straight out of your ass. I don't know if this is directed at me or a general comment about southerners and southern UT fans, but it's horseshizzle from where I sit. Who was the most popular UT coach of any sport in the last decade? Where was he from?  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:14:31 EDT by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 08:14:20 EDT »

Really?  Well I guess Petrino has never been in *NCAA* trouble, but if you want a winner, there is no one better out there.

It's probably a strong function of him being a "Yankee" also.  Southerners.....pfffffft
First of all...Kiss my Grits...don't you dare give Southerners the raspberry.  Secondly, why would we give the NCAA reason to come sniff around again? I'm sure there is a better hire than Pete Carroll or Bobby Petrino out there.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 08:21:04 EDT »

Utterly stupid post.  If you're really endorsing Petrino or Carroll, I don't know if I can take anything you post seriously.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 08:50:02 EDT »

Sounds like you just want me to be poked in the eye, lol.

Carroll is a proven cheater and he would be as bad a fit as Kiffin was or worse.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 08:53:03 EDT »

I don't even know where Pete Carroll is from.

Also as Clockwork says... Bruce Pearl.

You can do so much better than this.

DuckVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2012, 09:19:45 EDT »

Pete Carroll is from California, wouldn't really call him a Yankee or Southerner, since Cali wasn't really involved in the Civil War.  No way he is coming anyway.  If he fails in Seattle, it would likely be just in time to take over SC again from Lame, when Pat Haden fires him for getting them in NCAA hot water again.  If not SC, I see him staying on the west coast somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: