VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 04:32:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there anything between the lines or is Hart just stating the obvious?  (Read 20218 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:16:01 EDT »

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/oct/18/tennessee-ad-dave-hart-says-vols-must-move-with/

Didn't see the dreaded vote of confidence in this statement.   

Take the elevator to the top floor of the Lawson Center before strolling across the glass walkway overlooking the indoor football field on your way to the Tennessee athletic department's executive offices and the conclusion is inescapable: The Vols have gorgeous facilities that must be among the nation's best.

Right?

"No," says Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart forcefully. "We've got a lot of work to do."

There's more.

"We have some innate challenges," Hart said. "Each year that those disadvantages remain on the table, you set yourselves back."

If that's surprising to you, well, Hart's been doing a lot of wake-up calls since he arrived from Alabama as UT's athletic director one year ago. He said the gap between perception and reality has been one of the most difficult challenges of the job.

The perception: Tennessee's athletic department is flush with cash and financially healthy. The reality, according to Hart? "We are carrying the largest — by far — debt service in the conference and the smallest — by far — reserve in the conference."

The perception: Tennessee's facilities are on par with the best in the SEC. Even when the new Football Training Center is completed, that won't be the case, Hart said. "We've got a long way to go, and we've got a lot of priorities that have to be put in motion."

So as No. 1 Alabama (6-0, 3-0 SEC) arrives to face struggling Tennessee (3-3, 0-3) at Neyland Stadium on Saturday (TV: ESPN, 7 p.m.), what optimism can Hart

possibly offer? One more perception he wants to correct: The gulf between Alabama and Tennessee — once equals in the college football world — is impossibly wide.

Hart scoffs at that notion. "This is a cyclical game ... Alabama weathered some tough years. They're reaping the rewards now." With hard work, he said, Tennessee will do the same.

Hart, 63, no longer feels like the new guy at Tennessee. His office is fully furnished, even if it doesn't look quite lived-in. Business and sports books are set out on the coffee table. Mementos from his years as an athletic director adorn the walls. It's not clear if his diploma from the University of Alabama made the trip to the new office.

"I spent 12 years at East Carolina and 13 years at Florida State, and nobody asked me one time about being from Alabama," he said with a smile.

While Alabama is Hart's alma mater and most recent employer, his experience as an administrator was shaped elsewhere. But his three years at Alabama coincided with the Tide's resurgence as a national football power, and Alabama offers the most compelling template of how to build a national power in the cutthroat SEC.

"Certainly, when you win two titles in three years and you're the No. 1 team right now, that's obviously the program right now that people look to," Hart said. "I was fortunate to be a part of Florida State when that same phenomenon was occurring there. For a while it was Oklahoma in that role, and that's still an outstanding program. But there's no question that (Alabama coach) Nick (Saban) has done a terrific job in building that program back to a championship level."

How to replicate that in Knoxville? The first, Hart said, is recognizing Tennessee's strengths but being honest about weaknesses.

The Vols lack the football-rich geographic base of other programs, so the importance of repairing the financial situation and catching up in facilities is magnified.

"All of our challenges can be overcome and will be overcome, but first we have to be realistic about what they are," Hart said. "To me, that's the easy part. And then we have to build strategic plans to achieve what we want to achieve. And the toughest thing is that we have to do it with urgency."

Alabama wasn't always at the top of the football mountain, nor was Hart's old boss in Tuscaloosa, longtime athletic director Mal Moore, always a beloved figure.

Moore, who took over the department in 1999, shuffled through coaches Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price and Mike Shula before hiring Saban after the 2006 season. In that eight-year span, the Tide endured NCAA probation and finished better than .500 only half the time.

"Mal has done an incredibly good job. Mal weathered those tough years we talked about, and he not only weathered them, but he discovered that he was a heck of a fundraiser in that period," Hart said. "Because it was a tough period for the university at that time."

The tough period was nearing an end by the time Hart was hired at Alabama in 2008. The Tide went 41-5 during the three years Hart was on campus. He managed virtually all day-to-day affairs of the department.

"Mal Moore's one of the finest people I've ever met in my entire life," Hart said. "And he knows how strongly I feel about him as a person. When Mal told me, 'I'll give you the authority to run the program on a day-to-day basis, and I know you can do it and I trust you to do it,' I had no doubts that would be case. And that's how it unfolded."

When Hart came to Tennessee last fall, he brought two administrators with him from Alabama, including Jon Gilbert, UT's executive senior associate athletic director and Hart's top lieutenant.

In the past year, the department has faced lawsuits for discrimination and hurdles associated with merging the historically distinct men's and women's athletic department.

Meanwhile, the football program has continued its slide. The Rock, an unscientific barometer of community sentiment, has displayed messages calling for the ouster of third-year coach Derek Dooley. Empty seats continue to be an issue at Neyland Stadium. The student section failed to sell out for even Saturday's Alabama game, something that would have been unthinkable in the past.

"I'm competitive to a fault. I'm not proud of that, but that's kind of in my DNA," Hart said. "So nobody's more upset, believe me. I just can't display it like some people can.

"But I wouldn't want to work in an environment where there was no passion. You just have to understand that. What I have to do is see the big picture — because I see it everyday. Most people see it on Saturday, I see it seven days a week. I have to view the big picture, and that's what I've always done."
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:10:53 EDT »

There is plenty to read between the lines because things are happening. Feldman said yesterday that Dooley needed to win against Alabama and South Carolina to save his job. The VQ war room this morning says that they are being told informal conversations have taken place with replacement candidates. And Chris low said on 104.5 yesterday that if gruden wanted to get back into coaching in college it would likely be at Tennessee, and he was listening.

VQ also said this morning that they have been told the buyout is not an issue and that the private plane that brought Hart and Dooley back for Starkville was very very chilly.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:24:42 EDT »

well, buyout is an issue - but they can work around that. If a change is made, it won't be stopped by a buyout.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:33:51 EDT »

well, buyout is an issue - but they can work around that. If a change is made, it won't be stopped by a buyout.

Which is a longer way of saying that the buyout won't be an issue.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:32 EDT »

One more perception he wants to correct: The gulf between Alabama and Tennessee — once equals in the college football world — is impossibly wide.Hart scoffs at that notion. "This is a cyclical game ... Alabama weathered some tough years. They're reaping the rewards now." With hard work, he said, Tennessee will do the same.

This

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:10:46 EDT »

If what you say is true then I doubt it would make a difference if we were to beat bama & sc. Hart either sees what he wants out of Dooley or he doesn't. Hinging his employment on two teams we are highly unlikely to beat says the fat lady has already sang it was just for a private audience.

Still not on the Gruden train but I will support and hope whoever gets hired can get the job done.

There is plenty to read between the lines because things are happening. Feldman said yesterday that Dooley needed to win against Alabama and South Carolina to save his job. The VQ war room this morning says that they are being told informal conversations have taken place with replacement candidates. And Chris low said on 104.5 yesterday that if gruden wanted to get back into coaching in college it would likely be at Tennessee, and he was listening.

VQ also said this morning that they have been told the buyout is not an issue and that the private plane that brought Hart and Dooley back for Starkville was very very chilly.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 03:16:48 EDT »

If what you say is true then I doubt it would make a difference if we were to beat bama & sc. Hart either sees what he wants out of Dooley or he doesn't. Hinging his employment on two teams we are highly unlikely to beat says the fat lady has already sang it was just for a private audience.

Still not on the Gruden train but I will support and hope whoever gets hired can get the job done.

I agree. The interpretation is that it will take a miracle to save him.

Not sure about Gruden either but if you're Dave Hart it's big name or bust. You can't replace Dooley with another up and comer.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 03:40:17 EDT »

Not sure about Gruden either but if you're Dave Hart it's big name or bust. You can't replace Dooley with another up and comer.

The problem you always have with an NFL coach is are they willing to ask 18 years old kids to play for them or not. They don't get to pick who they want but have to take who they get and in limited numbers. Does the name Gruden mean anything to an 18 year old as it pertains to getting them NFL ready?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 03:47:51 EDT »

The problem you always have with an NFL coach is are they willing to ask 18 years old kids to play for them or not. They don't get to pick who they want but have to take who they get and in limited numbers. Does the name Gruden mean anything to an 18 year old as it pertains to getting them NFL ready?

It works sometimes and it doesn't others.

I think 18 year olds know who Gruden is... They ALL watch ESPN and MNF.

Im not saying it will be Gruden. Also watch for Kirby Smart, Charlie Strong, and yes one Bobby Petrino  to come up in the search.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 03:48:50 EDT »

All he has to do is sit in their living room and tap that Super Bowl ring on their coffee table.  I know, I know....Dungy's players. Whatever. 18 year olds won't care.

Gruden should be an especially big draw for qb's.  
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 03:53:57 EDT »

When you weigh the buyout with a probable 75,000/game average attendance next year, and all the lost revenues that would come with it, then the buyout SHOULDN'T be an issue.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 04:33:41 EDT »

Kirby Smart = Bleah

Petrino = Would have immediate impact on the field. Would have to have stuff in his contract.

Gruden = big splash hire

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 04:34:42 EDT »

Then you can't hire Smart. He's an up and comer. Maybe

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 04:44:26 EDT »

All he has to do is sit in their living room and tap that Super Bowl ring on their coffee table.  I know, I know....Dungy's players. Whatever. 18 year olds won't care.

Gruden should be an especially big draw for qb's.  

But when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter how well you recruit.  You have to be able to coach. Gruden has no college football coaching track record to pull from, so he is an unknown commodity. If he comes in and get top 5 or top 10 recruiting classes every year, and only turns in 8 or 9 win seasons with no trip to Atlanta for the SECCG, what then? Auburn has had some great recruiting classes in the last few years, and look at what's happening to us this year. You would be better off by going with someone that has a proven track record, or else this all has the potential to start over again in three years. Or, you can take Chizik. He's a proven winner.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 04:50:16 EDT »

But when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter how well you recruit.  You have to be able to coach. Gruden has no college football coaching track record to pull from, so he is an unknown commodity. If he comes in and get top 5 or top 10 recruiting classes every year, and only turns in 8 or 9 win seasons with no trip to Atlanta for the SECCG, what then? Auburn has had some great recruiting classes in the last few years, and look at what's happening to us this year. You would be better off by going with someone that has a proven track record, or else this all has the potential to start over again in three years. Or, you can take Chizik. He's a proven winner.
Re: Gruden, and his last pro gig was a DISASTER.  His handling of QBs was bizzare at best.  He talks a good game on espn but the reality is quite different.

I really fail to see the allure of a FAILED football coach.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 04:53:00 EDT »

I think we should definitely get the guy our opponents don't want us to get.

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:58:39 EDT »

I think we should definitely get the guy our opponents don't want us to get.

Ok...get Gruden, then. I like the Vols and always hope to see them do well (except for 11/9/13). I don't want them to continue to mire in mediocrity.  But we Auburn folk got plenty of other things keeping us busy. Like tracking planes to see where our idiot Powers That Be are going to check coaching interest down on the Plains. So, I'll stay out of y'alls coaching discussion.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 05:07:36 EDT »

Ok...get Gruden, then. I like the Vols and always hope to see them do well (except for 11/9/13). I don't want them to continue to mire in mediocrity.  But we Auburn folk got plenty of other things keeping us busy. Like tracking planes to see where our idiot Powers That Be are going to check coaching interest down on the Plains. So, I'll stay out of y'alls coaching discussion.

You guys are going to get Petrino.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 05:09:10 EDT »

I totally agree. I was saying that his name will come up.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 05:10:41 EDT »

Re: Gruden, and his last pro gig was a DISASTER.  His handling of QBs was bizzare at best.  He talks a good game on espn but the reality is quite different.

I really fail to see the allure of a FAILED football coach.

I always see where you are coming from with this, but just like with Petrino, I'd caution you against getting too personally invested against a coach. I'd hate to see such loyal, passionate Vol fans have to turn on their team because of who the coach is.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 05:13:45 EDT »

Saban's assistant's have never done shizzle.  See...oh, I don't know...Dooley?  Or how about Sunseri?  Get your blood flowing yet?  Really hot for Kirby Smart?  "Boom" (the UF coach) might be an exception, but IMO he did it on his own.

I'm not!   

The reason why is obvious.  Saban doesn't really delegate on D.  It's almost all him.  The staff is like his players. Pieces in his "process" which completely revolves around him and him only.

"You're here to do exactly as I say.  Now go do it you POS or I'll kick you to the curb!" - Coach Saban.

Kirby Smart is just another TOOL in Saban's hands, and he probably literally is a TOOL.  Saban doesn't want anyone showing HIM up.  It's all about him.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 05:18:29 EDT »

I really have no idea of anyone in particular I would like to see as coach. I just want someone who will make us tough as nails and get some talent in. I want UT to be hated again by the rest of the CFB world especially SEC teams.     
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 05:18:47 EDT »

You guys are going to get Petrino.

Why do you hate us?

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 05:21:26 EDT »

I really have no idea of anyone in particular I would like to see as coach. I just want someone who will make us tough as nails and get some talent in. I want UT to be hated again by the rest of the CFB world especially SEC teams. 

This is my stance after 2 coaching searches. I really don't care. Just fix it.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 05:24:40 EDT »

Why do you hate us?

Yall have wanted Petrino all along .....admit it.   
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: