VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 10:20:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8th Maxim post this morning...  (Read 2606 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:12:37 EDT »

From Tenacious D:

Did anyone hear Hyams response to a callers question about Gruden being a "done deal"?

I didn't hear it, but several have told me that he reported knowing that Gruden has already began to gauge the interest of potential assistant coaching staff members, but prefaced it by saying that he didn't know if it was for a return to coaching in the NFL or college.

If the accounts of his comments are true and accurate, a couple of thoughts:

1. I'll take this as the strongest admission from a local media member as to where things stand. Logically, it would seem to me that if Hyams' statement are believed to be true, that would have to be predicated on the fact that Gruden has accepted a job, at least somewhere, be it the NFL or college. So, for those saying, "How has Tennessee hired a coach without having fired Dooley?", apply the same logic here, to Hyams' comments -because if you believe that Tennessee can't hire Gruden until Dooley is "officially" fired, then how can you believe any report that Gruden is assembling a staff without having already accepted a job, himself? The reality is that not only can coaching moves be made before things are "officially" or even publicly announced, but that this is exactly how most actually occur.

2. As far as I am aware, Hyams wheelhouse is almost strictly limited to the collegiate scene, and he is not well-connected to NFL circles / sources - of even at all. As such, I find it difficult to believe that a local sports guy will be the first to break news of Gruden accepting an NFL gig - because no one else has even hinted at it. Nobody. Simply, if Hyams is correct, and Gruden is returning to the NFL - then he has scooped not only everyone in the Knoxville media, but the likes of Schefter, Mortenson, Clayton, et al - the heaviest hitting NFL insiders on the planet. Is it possible that he did? Sure. Is it plausible? Not likely.

3. If he's hearing any rumblings of potential assistant coaches being contacted, they're almost certainly those in the collegiate ranks, again, given that's where he's best plugged in, and would most likely hear such information. While any Gruden staff - be it one for a gig in the NFL or college - will undoubtedly include coaches from each level, you'd have to think that his destination would heavily weight that mix. Meaning, regardless as to whether it's a collegiate or NFL staff, it's most likely that those being contacted would already be at, or have proven experiences / ties to, the level at which they would serve. So, if Gruden were assembling a staff for college, ostensibly, he'd be contacting more coaches at that level - and the chances of Hyams catching it would be infinitely higher than if it were primarily NFL candidates being contacted.

4. This would be especially true if Gruden had already gauged the interest of some current Tennessee assistant staff members to be retained as members of his newly assembled staff at Tennessee. And, totally hypothetically, if he has already spoken to Jay Graham (allegedly) about coming onto his new staff, do you think it's more likely for a spot on an NFL or college staff? Personally, were I Jon Gruden (I'm not), and I was assembling an NFL staff, Graham might be somewhere on my list of candidates (Page 3, somewhere?). But if I were assembling a staff at the collegiate ranks -particularly at Tennessee - Jay Graham would be the first person I would want to speak with, and as soon as I was done shaking Dave Hart's hand.

Just totally speaking from a hypothetical standpoint, of course. Not saying. Just saying.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:17 EDT »

I'm not using Hyams as a source for anything, but anyone with half a brain would start the process of assembling a staff prior to taking the job. In fact if I interviewed someone for a head coaching position I'd ask who they wanted to bring in, how certain they were they could get that individual and how much it would cost.

If he couldn't answer those questions he's not organized enough for the job. That doesn't mean all spots are locked down, but at least two or three key ones should be, and there should be a list for the others. Kiffin knew his dad and Coach O were key.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:25:52 EDT »

I feel like I am being toyed with 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:50:03 EDT »

I feel like I am being toyed with 

It's quite possible IMO

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:03:53 EDT »

It'll be nice if Gruden is hired,but if He's not there is going to be a lot of let down pissed off people

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: